Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-06-2002, 12:11 AM   #1
rico328i
5th Gear Member

Back from Europe

Just got back from my month long trip in Europe. If anyone plans to go to any of the following countries anytime soon. Feel free to ask me as I may be able to help out. In order as I visited them. Netherlands (all true about the Red Light district!!!), Germany (BMW Police cars!), Austria (saw the Austrian GP), Czech Rep. ($.70Cdn pints!!), Italy (Alfa Romeo Cop cars and scooters rule the streets), and Switzerland ($$$$).

Couldn't believe the amount of BMW's, Benz's, and Audi's in Germany. Can you believe that I saw a new M5 with cloth interior? Also a last gen 728i? Lots of BMW's that didn't have their model numbers on the back, so I couldn't tell what they were. I did notice that many of their cars had nice factory rims and low profile rubber. Something quite interesting since many of their city roads are probably harsh on the suspension. Didn't see very many 'lowered' cars either. But lots of Big wheels - rim/tires.

Sweet litte 5 dr Audi's (A2's I think) and Benz's (A class). Wonder if BMW has something in the same category up their sleeves?? Perfect for many of the European cities. Especially once you see how expensive their gasoline prices are! We shouldn't complain over here.

I didn't get a chance to rent a car like I originally planned. But for anyone going in the future. Book or reserve here. Or......while you're there, get someone from home to call for you - it's cheaper. In Munich I could have had a Peugeot 106 (hatch) for about $150Cdn for 3 days. Just didn't have the time.

Anyhow. In closing. For all of you who haven't been to Europe, or are debating on going. JUST GO! You'll have the time of your life! Makes your realize just how good we have it here in T.O.!

Rico
98 328i
rico328i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 12:20 AM   #2
rico328i
5th Gear Member

pics....

Forgot to add. Brought 2 cameras. Just in case. Both broke within 2 weeks. So I had to resort to disposables. I'll post the pics as soon as I get them developed.

Don't think about going away. Just go!

Rico
Old 06-06-2002, 03:58 AM   #3
motoyen
2nd Gear Member

Where did you stay? What was the costs like over there?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:58 AM   #4
Gamite

Where are my euro headlights?

J/P Thats cool that you got to goto Europe, I wanna go some day.

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 10:10 AM   #5
GladdoM3
5th Gear Member

Sounds wikked ! I also just came back from Europe ! I stayed in the red light district for an entire week I had an amazing time ! I am going back to Spain in August ! I am goin to Ibiza for 2 weeks to party my brians out

Sold My M3. Got a New Subaru STI
GladdoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:28 PM   #6
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via MSN to thinair
Nothing beats the underpowered 316i and the 518i they manage to sell over there.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:59 PM   #7
SickFinga

Quote:
Makes your realize just how good we have it here in T.O.!
You like toronto???
I would live in any european city over toronto.

yes they got a lot of european cars, IT IS EUROPE
They don't drive american POS there.
But if they do it is Cadillac, SUV, or corvette.

They got smaller engine, but remember they got bigger engines than we do.
Remember European M3? 323ti? etc.
Yes they have 316 and 518, but look at their gas prices and street sizes, you don't want a 760iL(which they already got and we don;t) as a daily driver.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 12:56 AM   #8
rico328i
5th Gear Member

just for SickFinga there.....

Yes. I do love Toronto. I've been lucky enough to do some travelling across the pond and all over both Canada and the US. It's my 'personal' opinion that we do happen to live in one of the nicest, well-rounded, cities in the world. Think of it. In just about every aspect - you can get anything you want here. Just look at the people. Anything you want, we have! And we all seem to get along for the most part. Yes. I love T.O.

And I also love to travel!

The more you travel - the more you'll realize just how good we have it here. Overall.

Yes. Obviously they have heaps of European cars! It's just the amount of them always blows me away - BMW's, Benz, and Audis. Just to name a few. And to think they use those as their taxis! Sounds crazy eh? I wonder if they'd think we're nuts over here if we used Lincolns and Caddies for everyday cabs?? ha. Doubt it. They'd probably laugh!

Don't you all think that they should seriously start thinking of sending some of their European versions of cars here?? I think their styles are incredible.

Don't think of going away.......just GO Gamite.

Rico
Old 06-07-2002, 01:09 AM   #9
SickFinga

YOu are saying that you love Toronto, because(i guess) you were born here and it is your homeland. I understand that. I was born in Europe(estonia)
and I love my country, it is small, nice houses, and everything is high quality.

Yes, and to be honest with you when I came here, I looked at bimmers, like you look on Ford Tempos.
And when I lived there I dreamed about american 5liters v8 car.
My friend wanted to sell his bimmer and buy a camaro, then he bought Opel Kadett GTI, sold it and bought 1990 525i and still dreamed about old camaro.

That's how it is, I still hate mercedes bacause it was a taxi cab there

B.T.W: Did you see SMART car? Damn those things are nice.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:21 AM   #10
rico328i
5th Gear Member

Smart Cars?

haha. Yeah. They were all over the place. I hear they're pretty cheap too. Those kinds of cars make sense for their city driving. Small engine, hell just small period. I even saw one with skirts, rims, and lowered! haha.

I hear they have some in California now. Wouldn't want to be caught in one of those around here. Wouldn't work in our market ----- YET!!?

Your thing about the Camaro. I saw this older guy driving a Vette over in Germany. He must be the talk of the town!! He even looked it, the way he was driving his UNIQUE- rare sports car. Must have some money too! With the price of gas over there. I know what you mean. I'm sure Mustangs and that sort are dreamed about by many!!! We want things that we can't have. That's just life.

No. I wasn't born here. Family moved here when I was 4! But I'm one DAMN proud Canada- patch- on- my- backpack Cdn!! Which is the Cdn thing to do when backpacking across Europe! We're one of the only countries that does it. And it works miracles over there. I have stories!

Rico
Old 06-07-2002, 01:28 AM   #11
SickFinga

Damn I forgot about Mustangs, damn my neighbor had one, I was peeing my pants when I see it. Also my parents bought a Grand Cherokee there. 5.2L is SOOOOOOOOOOOOO DAMN big for europe. Like all my friends asked me to rev it That car was one of the coolest on the streets And when you drive Grand Cherokee in Russia, 90% thinks you are a mafia
Also we had VW PASSAT 2.0l and Ford Scorpio 2.0l both cars were German, not a single problem With Cherokee OMFG!!!! I can't even count till that number how many problems my parents had.
Old 06-07-2002, 01:57 AM   #12
ThE bRoWn GuY
2nd Gear Member

Hey Gladdo.. you're going to Ibiza? Lucky bastard! Party enough for all of us.. wont be too hard... party island of the world...
ThE bRoWn GuY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2002, 05:53 AM   #13
motoyen
2nd Gear Member

Hey rico tell me about where you stayed and how much things cost. i am thinking about going over and I want to know how expensive it will be. PM me if you want.
Old 06-07-2002, 10:01 AM   #14
GladdoM3
5th Gear Member

Yeah....the Ibiza trip for my family is a ritual ! I have been there a couple times ! I have sooo much fun there ! Last time i was there i didnt eat or sleep for 4 days straight ! (i ate a hotdog between clubs on the 3rd day ) ! But the entire time i was there i was bouncing from club to club and beach to beach ! soo much fun ! I know some locals there, and MAN is it fun to go party*drunk* witht the locals ! god i have sooo many stories ! any whooo . I HAVE THE BEST TIME OF MY LIFE IN EUROPE (amsterdam, and Ibiza) and i am sooo excited that i am goin back soo soon !

Sold My M3. Got a New Subaru STI
GladdoM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2002, 02:21 AM   #15
Kiley
1st Gear Newbie

Long......

Rico328,

Where in Holland did you go? Eindhoven, Amsterdam? Did you go to the Heineken brewery there? The Red light was above any I have seen (except Asia), but what about the "main venue" of the Netherlands? You know what I am talking about! I always stayed in a youth hostil called "Dirty Nellys" for like 30 Guilder a night and drank Heineken on draft for food everyday!!!

It's funny seing Mercedes as Taxis. The shop I worked at drove nothing but Mercedes deisels because they were like the "detroits" of Germany, very reliable and rugged. I can't explain the Autobahn in words. It wasn't a big deal driving on it until you left. Only saw one accident on this so called "dangerous" system of roads in the years I was there. Sick Finga is 100% right, Bimmers were like Fords and Opels Corsa's were like the Honda Civics of Germany. I would only freak out if I saw a Ferrari or Diablo. Mercedes, M5's, Porsches, didn't get so much as a Yawn out of me when I saw them.

When I was in Sicily, I saw a 5-door Audi (A1) , which no one will ever believe. I know with my heart that is what I saw but haven't been able to prove it since I have been back. It might have been an A2, but I swear that I was sober when I saw it. Seen a 518i that was pretty tricked-out with some custom, red hood&trunk emblems. I have searched on the net to find ones like it with no luck. I would have really wished to have been stationed there because all the younger dudes were pimpin' Maseratis. Those are true exotic cars in my opinion. Sicilian girls are definitely on my top 10 list.

I don't know much about Canada, but it really sucks to drive in Europe for so long (3 years) and then come back to the damn 55 and 65 speed-limits in the States. I also miss all the cool cars. It's been about 5 months since my last trip to Europe and I am already getting the "shakes". I guess you could call it withdrawal!!!

Sounds like you had a good time and will be addicted to the places as I am .
Kiley is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: