Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-23-2002, 11:00 PM   #31
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Get a ti, you won't be disappointed. Cheap to buy, and way more fun to drive than 318/325 e36.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by MTRD
Well my next car is either going to be a 1992-93 E36 318 or 325. After driving the stock 325 I have to say that my 318 was way quicker! My 318 was modified but I mean I just expected more from the 325.

Bryan

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2002, 11:06 PM   #32
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Get a ti, you won't be disappointed. Cheap to buy, and way more fun to drive than 318/325 e36.

SL

I know that thing is pretty zippy off the line. But I like neutral handling cars. I think with not much of a trunk the balance ratio F:R must be a little funny. How is the handling? Can't say I know anyone with one or have ever driven one hard.

Thanks,

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 01:05 AM   #33
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to GR8 Ride
Quote:
Originally posted by SickFinga
M1 was available for publicm I think just about 400 were made.
and all CSI cars considered as M cars. The VIN starts with WBS
The M1 was built as a homologation special, just like the M3 GTR (4.0L V-8) was built to suit ALMS rules.

The M1 *was* publicly available, but generally only by special order, and most were pre-sold before the car even hit the market (mostly to race teams, and some collectors).

The M535i was the first, mass available ///M car.

Pat
GR8 Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 01:10 AM   #34
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ROB89M3
ok..regarding the "///M" cars,are they handbuilt,or are only some parts of the car put together by hand?? My old manager at T&C bmw said he actually was at the Garching plant when they were assembling the E30 M3. He said that the whole car is put together by hand...is this true?
Some were handbuilt; most were merely hand-finished.

The E34 M5 and M540i were hand finished; the E30 M3 was primarily hand built, though I doubt it was done completely from the ground up. (it's one of the few ///M cars which radically was different than the rest of the design line, unlike the E36 M3).

The M1 was handbuilt, the M535 was hand finished, and most of the rest were hand finished cars.

Only two were ever really built as factory race cars; the M1 and E30 M3. Most of the rest were mass produced.

Pat
Old 05-24-2002, 01:12 AM   #35
jiggaben
1st Gear Newbie

ive got an 86 325es, and i have the m3 badge? on my front grill. my friends always try to clown on me for having it. my steering wheel and shift knobs are that way as well. i assume that its stock, it had it when i bought it just a few months ago. i tell them that it was part of the m-kit, hence my front lip. ...man i need a paintjob and ding-cleanup. or just an m3...next year, i hope
jiggaben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2002, 01:14 AM   #36
GR8 Ride
5th Gear Member

Quote:

The US specification E36 M3 engines are simply upgraded 325 engines w/ a different intake manifold and a larger bore, everyone knows that. So in actuallity they aren't the "real" M3's where as most other "///M" cars still have the same or similar Euro spec design engines.

Bryan
They are actually a slightly larger block, so it's not *entirely* true that it's merely an upgraded 2.5/2.8L motor.

They are different blocks however, as the Euro motors have piston squirters in them, which the US spec motors didn't.

That's the primary difference in the blocks, but the major difference was in the intake, multiple throttle bodies, and airbox.

The US spec motor was dumbed down primarily for financial reasons, as BMW felt it was too expensive to ship Euro M3 motors to the US and keep the price target they had for the car.

Pat
Old 05-24-2002, 04:02 AM   #37
motoyen
2nd Gear Member

To me the most famous BMW 4 cylinder has got to be the 1983 Nelson Piquet Brabham F1 car. This was a 1.5 liter turbo that was producing over 1000BHP

I once read that the original E30 M3 was supposed to have a turbo in it and was producing close to 300bhp in street form. However BMW AG killed the turbo because they thought it would too costly to produce.
Old 05-24-2002, 11:00 AM   #38
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

You would be suprised with the handling capabilities of a ti. The weight distribution is very close to 50/50. If you want I could take you for a spin some time next week after I replace the damn ball joints.

http://www.myplanet.net/lcjhnsn/Lances_318ti_page.htm

is a good page about ti's.

Serge

Quote:

I know that thing is pretty zippy off the line. But I like neutral handling cars. I think with not much of a trunk the balance ratio F:R must be a little funny. How is the handling? Can't say I know anyone with one or have ever driven one hard.

Thanks,

Bryan
Attached Images
File Type: jpg copy of dscf0510.jpg (40.1 KB, 43 views)

Last edited by KIRASIR; 05-24-2002 at 12:04 PM.
KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2002, 12:59 PM   #39
simsimma2000

I agree with MP525, if you don't have the power to back it up.. then sometimes you might feel a little embarassed. but i say if it makes you happy than why not..
simsimma2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: