Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-09-2003, 03:07 AM   #16
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

Nelson,

As you can see from the picture below the callipers that I have seem to be similar to what you have

[IMG]
http://www.havephun.com/318ti/pictur...e/caliper4.jpg[/IMG]

The guys from the yard I picked them up swear to me that they came out from a 2001 e46 330Ci. Here is the WEIRD part:

The bracket

seems to be very similar to the M3 one you have. The problem is in the thickness. The bracket just won't fit between the 330 rotor and the stock ti hub (same as the M3 bracket). The M3 hubs move the attachment arms about 3cm away from the rotor, while the stock 318/325/328 position is about 2cm. Also they are nothing like any of the callipers I've seen on the pictures in the last couple of days, they are similar but not the same.

In short, I have no idea what calipers I have.

So what I would like to do is to see whether I can use M3 hubs with with these damn paper weights. It will take about 5 minutes to measure evething, and I don't mind driving 40 min north, plus I would be driving from Maple anyway.

Where north are you? Newmarket?

If you have some free time this week during any of the evenings I would really appreciate it.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
[b]Ok, here are your answers.
Serge: I do have the M3 spindles/kingpins, you can take a look at the parts, but I live like 40 minutes north of the GTA, and I have to have everything reinstalled by Saturday to do an alignment (for the auto-x on Sunday).

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:52 AM   #17
thinair
moderationistismingly

Send a message via ICQ to thinair Send a message via MSN to thinair
Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i
SORRY MAN, still confused on this whole "FLOATING" business!
why is it called FLOATING, and so what the EURO M rotors have a bigger gap (so you can't fit your pinky in a US m rotor?!)
The floating rotor just means that the braking surface isn't solidly attached to the bell (not one piece, or attached with bolts). Also because the bell is aluminium, the euro rotors are a lot lighter then the US ones, they feel almost the same weight as the smaller 328 rotors. When the rotor heats up it expands, and because it's seperate from the bell it's a lot harder to cause warping. The euro rotors and the US rotors have the same dimensions though, both are 12.6" diameter and both are like an 1" wide with the same size internal vents. The people with US spec M3's can just buy euro rotors and they'll fit.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
thinair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 03:55 AM   #18
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
So what I would like to do is to see whether I can use M3 hubs with with these damn paper weights. It will take about 5 minutes to measure evething, and I don't mind driving 40 min north, plus I would be driving from Maple anyway.

Where north are you? Newmarket?

If you have some free time this week during any of the evenings I would really appreciate it.

SL
I'm in Bradford, just north of Newmarket. Õ'm about to PM you.
"Driving is like a narcotic, an addiction that can take over lives. It ruins people, breaks families apart, and even kills. Itís habit that needs to be fueled. Time, money, rationality, sweat, knuckle skin, and anyone who disapproves are of little importance to a driver, and are often overlooked. Hi, Iím Nelson, and Iím a drivaholic."
Old 09-09-2003, 04:50 AM   #19
Soldo
6th Gear Member

i see, so with the 12" brake rotor, can you fit the stock 15" winter rims or will they not fit due to the rotor size!?
Old 09-09-2003, 04:50 AM   #20
Soldo
6th Gear Member

i see, so with the 12" brake rotor, can you fit the stock 15" winter rims or will they not fit due to the rotor size!?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:04 AM   #21
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

M3 rotor is 315x28mm
e46 330 rotor is 325x25mm

both require 17" wheels.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by SOLDOMATIC 325i

Old 09-09-2003, 11:16 PM   #22
thinair
moderationistismingly

Quote:
Originally posted by KIRASIR
M3 rotor is 315x28mm
e46 330 rotor is 325x25mm

both require 17" wheels.

SL
certain (very few) aftermarket 16" wheels will also.
Old 09-12-2003, 03:10 AM   #23
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

True with M3. I am not sure about 330. Once I get the suckers on we should compare the width from the end of the caliper to the other side of the rotor.

I also found another pair of calipers in the States today. They should arrive sometime next week. Unfortunately, I won't have them installed for the auto-x.

SL

Quote:
Originally posted by thinair
certain (very few) aftermarket 16" wheels will also.

Old 09-13-2003, 06:54 AM   #24
thinair
moderationistismingly

Well, I didn't get to install the M brakes yet, I put my car back together with the stock brakes (but with new ball joints and control arm bushings) until I can get a right M spindle (next week hopefully), then I gotta rip everything apart again!

If it wasn't for the auto-x on sunday I would've just left my car in pieces all weekend.

It's actually the third time I've tried to install them, the first time I started to take stuff apart and realized I didn't have a 46mm for the hub nut, the second time one of the bearing races didn't come off the spindle properly, and my puller wouldn't fit around it (and I don't want to buy a new wheel bearing yet), and this time it's because I found out I had a bent spindle, I only noticed it when I went to bolt it on to the strut housing and the bolts wouldn't line up.

Last edited by thinair; 09-13-2003 at 06:57 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: