Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-14-2003, 02:29 PM   #1
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

Vanos!!!???

So what year did the 325 engines start having Vanos? Also it looks so far like I am going to be buying a 1998 3.2 M3 engine! This is an OBDII I am slowly learning BMW but i need to know what i have to do to make this OBDI? Is this a good engine for my car, or would a regular 325is engine be better?

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Automatic (soon to be manual)
2.5L M20 (3.2L M50 ON ITS WAY!! '99 with 28K Miles!)
Bright Red
Stock body (soon to have Reiger E46 kit maybe M-Tech II?)
18" VoXX WHEELS
Stock suspension(OBX COILOVERS and tokico illuminas)
Remus exhaust (headers soon?)
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges
stock BLAH brown interior leather (soon to have black vaders and all new black interior
Awesome system 2 12" JL W7's JL1000 amp JL 500.4 running 6x9 rear bostons and 61/2 front bostons!

2002 f350 Crew Cab Dually!
AIRBAGS ARE ON NOW!! Rollin' lower than Low_BMW scrapin' up the streets of DFW!! Tucking 22's almost to the center caps!!

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Just got done adding a 6" lift 20" wheels with offroad Nitto tires! It is fun to take out on a sunday afternoon of rock climbing, or mudding when it rains alott!
BoBimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 02:54 PM   #2
Peter1998
3rd Gear Member

check it out from www.bimmerforums.com i think 3.2 M3 engine is good..
Peter1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 02:55 PM   #3
SpoolinS6
6th Gear Member

even the 3.0L is a good motor !
SpoolinS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 06:44 AM   #4
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

Re: Vanos!!!???

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBimmer
So what year did the 325 engines start having Vanos? Also it looks so far like I am going to be buying a 1998 3.2 M3 engine! This is an OBDII I am slowly learning BMW but i need to know what i have to do to make this OBDI? Is this a good engine for my car, or would a regular 325is engine be better?
the 325i engine (M50) is a lot easier to swap in, since it is OBD1.

the 3.2L M3 motor (M50B52) will be just a bit more complicated at first, because you need to swap the intake manifold, injectors, computer, etc...you can use parts off a 325i E36 just because they are easier to find...except the computer, u must have it re mapped to the M3 spec for the 3.2L. When swapping this motor, you will also need the E34 oil pan from the 525, i think 525.

Vanos started in the 1993 motors, i think only the 6cyl though and 8cyl. Of course the 3.2L is better than the 2.5L..theres no replacement for displacement! plus, it just takes a bit more work but hella worth it.

Have you found a tranny? if not..you can use the stock E30 325 tranny..it bolts right up, plus it actually gives you better gas milage then the stock M3 does beleive it or not.

Good Luck with the swap!

p.s. i noticed u want apex springs..i have them on my bros car. Please dont get them. lol, they suck, they're soft, and they sag like grandma's tits. (yes, that low..)

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Maintenance|Performance|Tuning & Forced Induction
Jon@Bimmersport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 09:32 AM   #5
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

LOL (APEX SPRINGS) No I actually bought OBX coilovers! Now I need to find out what mods to do to the front! FAST!!! Since the struts are out of the car and i am spose to take it to a show Saturday!!Also yes i a pretty sure i am getting the 3.2L So i will have to do the OBD conversion! Where would i send a comp to have it remapped for this? Also the 3.2 I am buying kinda looks funny? Not like most i have seen here is a pic!

I guess maybe that is normal?? It does not have a tranny! And my E30 has Auto tranny right now! Need to do 5spd conversion but i figure i will do it when the engine gets here! I will prolly use E36 tranny because i am not too worried bout gas mileage!

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Bright Red
18" VoXX WHEELS
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges
stock BLAH brown interior leather (soon to have black vaders and all new black interior
Awesome system 2 12" JL W7's JL1000 amp JL 500.4 running 6x9 rear bostons and 61/2 front bostons!

AIRBAGS ARE ON NOW!! Rollin' lower than Low_BMW scrapin' up the streets of DFW!! Tucking 22's almost to the center caps!!

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Just got done adding a 6" lift 20" wheels with offroad Nitto tires! It is fun to take out on a sunday afternoon of rock climbing, or mudding when it rains alott!
Old 08-15-2003, 05:16 PM   #6
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

another thing....M3 stick trannies are kinda hard to come across...randy said he waited 4 months

Authorized Ontario dealer for Active Autowerke|VF-Engineering|[/color]ESS TuningAFE|Bilstein Suspension|H&R Suspension|KW suspension|Brembo Brake Systems| Stoptech| - Call us for the best pricing please DO NOT PM in regards to pricing

Old 08-16-2003, 12:59 PM   #7
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

Ok i can also buy the M3 manual tranny that was attachede to this motor for an extra $1000 Should i do it? Or can i hook the M3 to my auto from my M20 till I blow out my auto then buy M3 tranny and go with the 5 spd conversion and all? Thanks for the help@

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Bright Red
18" VoXX WHEELS
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-17-2003, 08:56 PM   #8
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

take the M3 tranny!!!! those are HARD to find. take it while u can!!

Old 08-21-2003, 08:12 AM   #9
westside
1st Gear Newbie

over here in eurpope we had probelms with the m3 3.2 apparently the vanos unit was a common fault (i.e. gets very noisey) and from what i recall it wasn't covered by warrenty for some strange reason ??
Old 08-21-2003, 08:19 AM   #10
BoBimmer
3rd Gear Member

P.S. the engine i am getting has no ECU which is good though because i need a OBDI Ecu right? where will i get the ECU reprogrammed for the 3.2L?

1991 325i(s) MINT!
Bright Red
18" VoXX WHEELS
Homemade intake
Indiglo gauges

2000 Jeep Wrangler TJ
Old 08-21-2003, 10:09 PM   #11
Jon@Bimmersport
MaXsponsor

i know locally here in t.o MarkD can do it for you...but u do have the OBD1 intake manifold, injectors, wiring harness, and E34 oil pan with the i think E28 brake booster?

Old 08-29-2003, 10:58 AM   #12
jimmyd1
2nd Gear Member

Vanos

Zionsville autosport should have the conversion to OBD I that you need. Runs about a grand or so. I would also contact Joel @ Eurodepot.net and ask him to keep an eye out for an ECU for the motor. The M3 trans is hard to come by, so I would grab it. You will probably also have to swap out your brake and clutch master and power booster, power steering pump and alternator, if it is already not included. Also, make sure you get the wiring harness with the motor, this is very important. The other concern I would have, would be to match diff with the motor. I would probably look for a 3.46 or something close to it. I believe this can be found on 325e and es models. Good luck HTH.
jimmyd1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: