Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-05-2003, 01:38 PM   #1
DunDan
3rd Gear Member

Why is there a delay when playing dance music on sub?

When I play different dance/trance/techno CDs there is a delay to when the bass plays. I thought it was lack of response from my sub but it only happens on some cds. RnB and Hiphop are fine. I heard that dance-type music incorporates a delayed bass line that match up in club atmospheres. Anyone have a better explaination/solution?
Old 08-05-2003, 03:30 PM   #2
Skimeister
3rd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to Skimeister Send a message via AIM to Skimeister
Try switching the way your sub is connected to the amp. It's very simple.. just switch the +ve and -ve going to the sub. It will not damage your sub in any way... it just flips when your sub goes up and down.. On dance music bass is usually delayed, especially if you have a large sub...it takes a lot more time to move the sub than speakers...so by the time your sub fully extended your speakers are already on the way down...hence the off sync feel. by flipping the cannels on the sub, your sub will run a bit ahead of speakers and should null out the delay.. It worked for me. It takes two seconds to try it....wouldn't hurt.
Skimeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 04:27 PM   #3
Gamite

I noticed this too, but only with certain songs..

Gamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2003, 05:48 PM   #4
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
I think you just have smart subs.. they dont like dance music
Old 08-05-2003, 06:22 PM   #5
DunDan
3rd Gear Member

ROFL! koncise you are funny. I said "dance-type" music with a 4x4 beat... I don't listen to 90's dance music....anymore haha. Have you seen A Night At The Roxbury? My buddy always does the head bob thing in my car (same one as movie) and sings "What Is Love" <---loser.

Anyway I'll try switching the polarity. Thanks all.
Old 08-05-2003, 06:27 PM   #6
koncise
all you need is one mike

Send a message via MSN to koncise
Quote:
Originally posted by DunDan
ROFL! koncise you are funny. I said "dance-type" music with a 4x4 beat... I don't listen to 90's dance music....anymore haha. Have you seen A Night At The Roxbury? My buddy always does the head bob thing in my car (same one as movie) and sings "What Is Love" <---loser.

Anyway I'll try switching the polarity. Thanks all.
lol.. yea, those roxbury guys are still funny IMO. I'm glad you knew I was just playin with you
Old 08-06-2003, 04:41 PM   #7
InfinitiStyle
2nd Gear Member

is your box ported or sealed?
ported boxes will have less hard bass response... and more fluency (for rap & hiphop)
sealed boxes are ideal for the hard hitting quick bass from dance music
InfinitiStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:00 PM   #8
djcontra
Gets Blown Daily

Send a message via ICQ to djcontra Send a message via MSN to djcontra Send a message via Yahoo to djcontra
changing the polarity of the subs isn't a good idea at all. You want the subs to push OUT during each beat rather than suck in (which is what the wrong polarity will do). If the poles are wrong, you will get lack of power, thus lack of bass.
If you want the bass to be on time, you need another poweramp, or a stronger one. You could also add in some 10" subs to fill in where 15" and some 12" subs don't.
You could also just try playing with your crossover and increasing the Hz level until it gets just enough upper bass frequencies bleeding through that they punch at the right moment.
Also, if you're not already, don't ''colour'' your bass by turning up any of those ''bass-boost'' knobs. Turn them right down, and turn up the volume on the amps so you get the true sound. This can also be a fix for anyone who has muddy bass.

'94 Supercharged E36 325is (150,000 original km's)
Mods
-Vortech V9 G-Trim @ ~10psi w/ BOV
-Shortstack headers
-Vortech RRFPR
-255LPH Walbro fuel pump
-TEIN SS Coilovers w/ Pillowball mounts
-Keskin KT1 17x8.5 & 17x10
-Remus full catback
-Authentic Rieger Infinity I body kit
-SMT6 EMS (Untuned)

Last edited by djcontra; 08-19-2003 at 04:02 PM.
djcontra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 04:50 PM   #9
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

I think Dundan is talking about delay on the sub?

Do you have a 5 channel Dolby Digital reciever?
Where is your sub located in the room?
Are you playing music in any Sound Field modes like "stadium" or "dolby pro logic"

First make sure your sub "phase" is set to zero, and set "sub out" to main speakers and sub or set main speakers to "small". If your using a sound field mode your reciever could be sending the sub a delayed signal to create ambiance (you don't want this with music) turn your reciever to "effect off" mode. If that doesn't work, move your sub up close to the main front speakers. If you still hear a delay, then it must be the recording. So many crap recordings out there with MP3, FM, Satallite music and all that garbage. Also subwoofer placement in the room is very important, they are very picky so grab an extension cord and move it around till it sound the best where you are going to be sitting the most

I have dolby digital and even with "5 channel stereo" mode it still sounds strange! I really hate the way the surround sound recievers sound with music.. So i have a 2 channel reciever as a backup for when i want to hear true music.

Hope this helps,
Ryan

Last edited by Slowered318; 08-19-2003 at 04:52 PM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 07:47 PM   #10
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

i'm installing a banpass box soon. i don't listen to much dance but will it be effected?
Mr seville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:47 PM   #11
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr seville
i'm installing a banpass box soon. i don't listen to much dance but will it be effected?
Not really it will play some nice very very low bass.

Personally I love the sub for movies, NOTHING like it! but if i were to do it again id buy a set of huge front speakers and feed them with over 300 watts. it wouldn't play quite as low as the sub but it would have much more mid-bass and a more natural sound.

Like these paradigm Monitor 11's they have 1 tweeter and 4 - 6.5" mid-bass drivers
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mon11.jpg (4.1 KB, 70 views)

Last edited by Slowered318; 08-19-2003 at 11:49 PM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: