Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-14-2003, 06:32 PM   #1
sirex
King Sirex

radar detectors

i was just wondering if anyone knows how they really work or has had any experience with them...
i realize it picks up radar signal and warns you but i mean if the cop is pointin the radar gun on you are you not already caught?
anyway thas all.. thanks.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:44 PM   #2
audiophilia
3rd Gear Member

Radar is not the problem, laser is. Most are using laser in the GTA roads. Laser is nearly impossible to guard against.

Radar is still King on the 400 highways...

www.audiophilia.com
The Online Journal for the Serious Audiophile
audiophilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 07:23 PM   #3
SickFinga

What do you mean radar is not a problem, laser is.
There are Laser radar and K/Ka band radars.
The reason why K/Ka band radars is easy to detect is that beam from that radar is wide and covers 4-5lanes. So when cop radaring with K/Ka radar he doesn't really know whose speed radar shows. He just pulls over the fastest driving car that he sees.

Why Laser radars are bad? Well laser radar has to be pointed to the car and on to the flat surface. That's why laser radar has optical aim, cause beam of the radar is very small it cops have to aim it to every car.
So when you have radar detector in your car, it detect K/Ka radars cause beam of that radar is spreader out all over the road, so when cop radaring a car in front of you, radar detector can catch it. And since laser beam is so small your radar detector will only show you that there is a cop when a beam will be pointed at you. When means, too late buddy, get a ticket.

P.S. i'm not really sure how non-laser radars called, but i think they are K/Ka band
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 02:51 AM   #4
bugkiller
1st Gear Newbie

You will pick up laser from a mile away, even in some traffic. Whenever you are in town, the cops almost always keep their laser on, pointed a certain distance in front of them(100ft or so), so you will always know where they are. It is radar that is the tricky one. If the cop is using instant-on radar, you are screwed, and the only thing you can hope for is that he hits a car around you and you pick it up.

i have a $40 cobra, wishing for a V1...

dan
bugkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 08:13 AM   #5
wannabebimmer
2nd Gear Member

have a v1.. saved my ass many times... steep price but it was worth it.
wannabebimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2003, 01:26 PM   #6
sirex
King Sirex

thanks guys.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: