Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-30-2003, 09:08 PM   #16
Razkal
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
The whole point of installing the reinforcement is to fix the crack. Its labour and parts together. Parts is not expensive, the labour will kill you. You have to drop the whole differential, drive shaft, suspension, rear seats, possibly the gas tank, etc etc.

Don't bother to reinforce it yet if its not broken. We have a saying, "if its not broken, don't fix it". You will know when the rear sub-frame is starting to crack, you can hear and feel it. Who knows, if you don't drive the card hard or even track it once in a while you might not even run into that problem.

Bryan
Hey Bryan,

What do you feel/hear when its gone?? RIght now my car seems to drive just fine, but maybe I am missing something? ?

Need any help with branding your company/services? :
http://www.businessninja.ca

Razkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2003, 10:46 PM   #17
Soldo
6th Gear Member

SWEETY JESUSSSSSSSS, a G for repairs?!?!
You sure this is not an ISSUE on 95's and UP?!?!?!
cause the LAST thing i wanna see is my baby get the sub frame failure, and also if this problem is unatended to, can it cause any SERIOUS damage!?
Old 07-30-2003, 10:54 PM   #18
T-spec
6th Gear Member

All the subframe re-inforcing plates can be found at www.turnermotorsports.com and they are all pretty cheap, like someone said before "its the labour that kills you!
Old 07-31-2003, 12:49 AM   #19
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Send a message via MSN to Autotechnica
It's an issure whether or not you have the upgraded sub-frames. Even on the M3's people have sub-frame failures. Eventually, all sub-frames will fail. How soon they fail is totally dependant on how you drive your car. It can last you more than 10 years or 2-3 years.

I've had this done on my old '92 318. I had racing reinforcement plates custom made and welded into my rear sub-frame. It's very stiff and changes the handling characteristics. It's a good mod for people who will track their cars often. It's better to do this and prevent sub-frame failure rather than fix it afterwards.

Wow, this thread is more than a year old. My old '92 w/ reinforced sub-frame is long gone.

Bryan
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Autotechnica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:09 AM   #20
Furious
BMW again.

i thought it was only the 1992 and 1993 that had subframe failures
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 01:11 AM   #21
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Furious325is
i thought it was only the 1992 and 1993 that had subframe failures
Give me a 2003 M3, I can make the rear sub-frame fail in one day

92-93 E36's had weaker sub-frames, but that doesn't mean that all other E36's won't have the same problem. Like I said, sub-frame failure is due to each person's driving habbits.

Bry
'02 C32 AMG @ 18psi - Eurocharged custom ECU/TCU, ASP 178mm crank pulley + NW PSK, CM30 i/c pump, NW i/c iso kit, EC i/c, Magnecore wires, NW CAI, SL55 Y pipe, NW ported intake manifolds + gaskets/spacers, NW inconel exhaust manifolds, NW catch can, dual exhaust, H&R sways, H&R coilovers, H&R spacers, Quaife ATB LSD, goodridge lines, EBC yellowstuff, AMG 18" rims, Zeitronix datalogger.

Old 07-31-2003, 01:27 AM   #22
Furious
BMW again.

Quote:
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Give me a 2003 M3, I can make the rear sub-frame fail in one day

92-93 E36's had weaker sub-frames, but that doesn't mean that all other E36's won't have the same problem. Like I said, sub-frame failure is due to each person's driving habbits.

Bry
oh i agree but i think during 1994's production they beefed up the subframe.
Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 02:38 AM   #23
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Quote:
Originally posted by Furious325is
oh i agree but i think during 1994's production they beefed up the subframe.
Yep, '94 + they reinforced the sub-frames. I know so many people w/ '92's that have had sub-frame failures. It can't be covered as a recall since '92 is more than 10 year old car.

Bry

Old 07-31-2003, 02:56 AM   #24
Autotechnica
BMW Traitor

Ok, many people are messaging me asking me if I just cracked my sub-frame. Just to clear things up. My car DOES NOT have a busted sub-frame. This thread is WAY old!!! I had a sub-frame problem on my previous 1992 318 which I no longer have.

Charlie (Bimmersport) welded in reinforcement plates where the cracked sub-frame was and the plates were like TMS race spec. Anyways, the car was very stiff and the rear end would come around very easily. Unfortunately I crashed the car in the rain not too long after I had this repair done.

Terry, how the heck did you even find this thread? It must have been on like page 10,000!

Bry

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: