Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-11-2014, 09:00 AM   #1
pawelgawel
3rd Gear Member

fuel pump experience

So I've noticed a little hesitation once in a while at lower rpm and I thought maybe it was the fuel filter as its been 50k at this point.

Ive been neglecting my maintenance a little as I live in a building now and don't have the tools with me. everything has been left at my parents garage 200km away.

After parking the vehicle in the underground parking of my building, I tried to turn it on 30 min later but it was barely running and hesitating with zero throttle response... did this 3x. No engine code, all fuses ok...

My mind tells me its the fuel pump... finally after 205k, it must be the pump. Lucky me, I purchased one a while ago after getting paranoid with all the stories. One problem, it was at my parents 200km away... so I borrow a friend's car and meet someone half way. I get to my garage and 20 min later the car is back on the road...

All you need is a hammer, bulky screw driver, 10m wrench and a flat skinny screw driver for the clamp. Bring some rags just in case...
My tank was almost full. Little to no drops of fuel, everything was simple as an oil change... anyone can do this at any location as long as you have that hammer and a tap to get that seal ring clamp off.

One advise I must give is, make a mark on the metal seal clamp and the tank to know how far to tighten it back up... I didn't do that but just estimated and maybe tightened it a little more just to be sure.

true story...
pawelgawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 01:27 AM   #2
jabela
4th Gear Member

Good stuff. Also a great idea to do in a well ventilated area as you did. I wouldn't recommend doing it in a home garage.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 07:16 AM   #3
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

I agree that replacing the fuel pump is nearly pleasant on these cars. Mine died at 11PM during a 10 hour drive. I had it towed to a dealership, and the next morning it worked just fine. :facepalm: Dealership wanted $400 labour to install it. I bought the new pump, drove to Sears and bought some tools and swapped it in their parking lot in less than 30 min.

My bit of advice: get the seal all set into the tank first, then install the new pump, then mess with the locking ring.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: