Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-05-2014, 11:59 AM   #1
tthai4
2nd Gear Member

transmission problem??? help!

Hey everyone,

So last night i was driving home from the 401 and my car (2003 325ci) was making a horrible, loud clunking noise every time i excel and shift gears. It shakes the whole center console and sounds nasty constant clunking.
At constant speed of 80-90km/h its ok but when i try to excel (on ramp/off ramp) it makes the same noise and car struggled.

At first i thought it was unbalance wheel or warp rims but it got worst and wost and its coming from the center console gear knob area underneath the car.

Any suggestions or idea what it is? i am going to bring it to bimmersport soon but would like a estimate on problem and cost?

thanks!
Old 08-05-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
pj3
1st Gear Newbie

A shredded guibo or the drive shaft bearing. If this is the problem, both are an easy fix.
pj3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 04:31 PM   #3
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

I'd agree with pj3, but also add that it could potentially be a transmission mount point (if one of the mounts tears or un-bolts, it'll likely give vibration and clunking).

It might be worthwhile to consider shifter bushings if you've got to pull the driveshaft - you'd have a little more room to work (but not quite as much as during a clutch replacement).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: