Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-15-2014, 12:45 AM   #1
Speedy1973
1st Gear Newbie

What to Look for?

New guy here to the forums. Couldn't find a place to make an introduction (if someone could link me to that section if there is one on here. That would be great)

Anyways. I'm finally looking into buying a E36. And figured here would be the best place to get some questions answered.

I've personally loved these car's for a long time. And have wanted one for just as long. I drive my friends nuts by talking about wanting one. Well now is officially the time.

I'm trying my best to learn as much as I can here. So I hope everyone can bear with me. Anyways. I've been on the hunt for a 36 for a while now. Always checking the inter webs. Some might say I'm crazy. But I hope to find a relatively clean E36, for under the $7k mark with reasonable mileage. Coupe/Sedan, Really doesn't matter to me. No verts. 5 Speed would be awesome, but Auto would do for now. (could always do the swap later) and anything but a 318i..... Sure the price range may sound unrealistic, for what i want. But I'm sure I can find SOMETHING.

Anyways. I've found a few car's I'm planning on going and checking out shortly. And right now. All i really know what to check/look for is the following. (just by reading what I've found online over the last little while)

Wheel Arches
Rear Boot lid
Bottoms of the front fenders
Rockers
Rear strut towers (inside the trunk)
Rear sub frame mounts
Rear sub frame itself

And all the other usual things you should look for in a used car. Such as how well the car runs and drives.

I know I'm not going to find a 100% showroom condition car. I can deal with small amounts of rust. As long as 1/4panels arn't rotted away (or any other part of the body for that matter). Or it needs a-lot of mechanical repairs to be considered "road worthy"

If anybody else could help me out with key specific things to look for in a E36 when I go to check em out. That would be awesome. Like I said. I'm here to learn.

Thanks in advance!
Speedy1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
Speedy1973
1st Gear Newbie

Also. If this is the wrong spot for this post, could a mod please be so kind and move it to the correct place. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:17 AM   #3
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Welcome to Max! It sounds like you have a very good idea of what you are doing, and the price is not at all unrealistic, just takes TIME! (like all good things). Not like you are expecting a rust free E30 for under $2000! lol
As you know, rust is issue #1 for any Canadian car. Find something as original as possible (no accidents or repaints at all). Millage is irrelevant, if well maintained, as much records as possible. But E36's are very simple, pretty bullitproof by todays standards. Just take your time, and good luck!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 09:45 PM   #4
Tom_Solo
Use to drive a Honda

My one piece of advice is don't rush. It took me over a year to find my car and its still not really the "perfect" one. I got a really good price on it, but it needs quite a bit of TLC to get it where I want it to be. Don't just jump on one because you're tired of waiting.
Tom_Solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:36 PM   #5
Speedy1973
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks guys.

And I know. I'm trying not to rush things. I think I'm really going to start the hunt soon for one.

Would really love to find a Dakar Yellow M3.... But I think I might have to shell out a few more bones for that.

I got looking through some older Classified ad's for M3's, and alot of them sparked my interested. Until i read "sold" lol.

Looks like the good clean ones, don't stick around for sale too long!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: