Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-29-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
sirex
King Sirex

shipping stuff from alibaba - customs?

hey guys.

question if i ship 5 items from china, and the manufacturer puts "sample, $10 per item x 5" on the box, and then it gets opened by customs and they think it's worth $200 per item, would I then just have to pay tax/duty at that rate?
Old 06-29-2014, 03:13 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

They'll charge you duty at what they figure the value is. If the manufacturer puts $10, I don't see why they would think otherwise--this is a very small-value package. If they do end up valuing it at $200, you can appeal it, and, if you have proof, they will refund you.
TSI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 01:25 AM   #3
Blades
Your opinion is to long

actually they will go by Tariff code .. everything is classified in the code and will have a value.

http://www.dutycalculator.com/classi...FRQ1MgodLQEA3g

click lookup HS code and search your item

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Blades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:22 AM   #4
JM35
Bimmer Enthusiast

What are you getting from alibaba? Just curious, ive checked it out a couple times but everything seems junky

OEM BMW Parts
JM35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
ScotcH
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM35 View Post
What are you getting from alibaba? Just curious, ive checked it out a couple times but everything seems junky
It's the same shit "local' vendors sell, just repackaged. I bought a stainless sliding barn door hardware kit from alibaba ... $36 + $100 shipping. Vendors in US and Canada sell the same exact kit for $600. Ridiculous, but it's how North America - China economy works. Importing in bulk is where you make the $$$.
Old 06-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #6
Deep 3.2TL
6th Gear Member

There are a bunch of sites that you can buy stuff for cheaper from china, shipping included!

Granted it takes a few weeks, but meh...

www.dx.com
www.focalprice.com

etc...

I've ordered up to about $50 worth of value and haven't been charged once yet... I did one order of $120 and got a $15 fee...

2007 Z4 3.0si
Deep 3.2TL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 06:07 PM   #7
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
sirex,

yes they can reassess hst+duty at whatever value they think, you can challenge it after the fact.

The likelyhood of this happening is extremely low.

I ship tons of air freight in from asia, less than 5% of it gets opened.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, graves
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #8
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

wow...just blew my mind...

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:.Individual- Modded
Hers--'07 BMW M5/6.:Indianapolis Red/Black:.
Toys
'91 BMW 850i J Spec Modded
'88 BMW 635CSi Lowered
'81 MB 500 SEC Koenig WILD RIDE
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:48 AM   #9
Blades
Your opinion is to long

^ How do you think people got guns from Tor network? they would ship it in pieces and UPS couldnt open up the packages. They would then give you instructions on how to assemble the gun.

All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. Thats how far the world is from where i am. just one bad day. - Unknown
Old 07-04-2014, 10:01 AM   #10
propr'one
op sucks cock

most of the munitions bought from darknet were shipped whole. the issue is plausible deniability, its not illegal to have a WMD shipped to your house, since you can just say you never ordered it and dont know anything about it.

UPS can open the packages. Every private courier can open the packages. Canada post however can not, so if SWIM was sending some drugs domestically, they should use Canada Post.

Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Old 07-04-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Blades
Your opinion is to long

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
most of the munitions bought from darknet were shipped whole. the issue is plausible deniability, its not illegal to have a WMD shipped to your house, since you can just say you never ordered it and dont know anything about it.

UPS can open the packages. Every private courier can open the packages. Canada post however can not, so if SWIM was sending some drugs domestically, they should use Canada Post.
Useless there is a court order .. your right .. cant open. My understanding is that it was the same story in the US for UPS.

Old 07-06-2014, 11:58 PM   #12
propr'one
op sucks cock

UPS is a private company, they can do whatever they want to the packages in their system (citing security concearns).

USPS is a part of the federal goverment and has different rules on who/what/when can open mail. (like canada post)

Also in many states selling weapons anonymously through the mail isn't illegal (although im pretty sure the USPS has rules on declaring when dangerous items are shipped)

Old 07-09-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Canada Post/cbsa can not legally open envelopes under 30gs(?). They first need authorization either from the sender or receiver. If either party denies that gives them probable grounds to open, catch 22. Anything above 30grams they can open without authorization.

Last edited by 325isdan; 07-09-2014 at 06:52 AM.
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

do you have any more info on that dan?

Old 07-11-2014, 01:04 PM   #15
325isdan
5th Gear Member

I can try and locate the d memo. I'm in the customs field, the commercial side but this is what I was taught in one of my customs enforcement classes.

In reality when it comes to dealing with customs you lose some of your rights. Things police would need a warrant for customs does not. That's why rcmp will bring a customs officer when raiding houses in certain instances.

Sent from my C5306 using Tapatalk
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: