Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-10-2002, 01:40 AM   #1
SickFinga

Got pulled over by a cop.

I was driving on the Yonge north, then i turn left on a small street and slmmed on the pedal, so accelerated to about 90km/h and I dunno why but I was looking to the rear view mirror, and I see a cop turn from Yonge too, I hit the brakes and slowed down to 50.
so he is in my back and pulling me over.
I knew that he couldn't get me with his radar. so he comes to the window and telling me:
cop: -you are driving fast, eh?
me: -hmmm, not really
cop: -not really???? can I see you licence and shit.
so I gave him all my documents
he goes back to the car to check them
in 5min he is comes to my car, gives me all my documents back and askes, can you press on I gas pedal.
so I rev it to about 2500, and he says, that's excessive noise, I can give you a ticket for that.
me - excesive noise? but it is stock(I got AA exhaust)
cop - no it is not
me - yes it is
cop - well then you got it with aftermarket when you bought the car, you bouht it used, right?
me - yeah
cop - so you better change it, if it's lounder than my exhaut, then it's excessive noise.
me - ok

and that's it.

so how much is an excessive noise? AA exhaust isn't lound at all, it has a lower sound, but not louder than stock.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 06:46 AM   #2
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

The ticket I got with my E30 was for "Improper Muffler" and the cop didn't even hear it on..... didn't ask me to turn it on either. Just gave it to me because my tips were larger than stock. He didn't even look under the car. I took it to court and told everything to the judge and was STILL guilty. The cop flat-out lied and said that he couldn't hear his squad car radio over my exhaust which wasn't even running! He pulled me over to check my roll cage and documents. Whatta f*cking a$$hole!! You're lucky Vlad... ANYTHING other than a stock exhaust is either excessive noise or improper.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 09:47 AM   #3
SickFinga

yeah, but how can he recognize if it's stock or not?
I don't think all cops are mechanics or bmw experts.
SickFinga is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:06 AM   #4
EMPOWERD

Quote:
Originally posted by SickFingas
yeah, but how can he recognize if it's stock or not?
I don't think all cops are mechanics or bmw experts.

That was exactly my argument when I went to trail. I questioned the cop about his mechanical skills.... but the judge said it was up to the officer's discression and his opinion supercedes mine.

GUILTY!!

*devil* -

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 04-10-2002, 10:24 AM   #5
KIRASIR
Your Nightmare

This reminds me of a friend of mine who went to court("running a red light") and actually proved in front of the judge that the cop was wrong and did not have his shit together. The judge asked the cop one question: "How long have you been on the force?".
-27 years.

Then he turned to my friend and basically said: I find you GUILTY!. He said that the cop's word is more credible than my friend's, even though, my friend just proved to him that the cop was non-credible. The whole justice system is ****ed here when it comes to cops and traffic tickets.

SL

KIRASIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 02:33 PM   #6
M54TU Schnitzer
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to M54TU Schnitzer
Yeah.. when I had my 96' VW Golf VR6.. I got a ticket for my muffler, too. again same as Randy, "Improper Muffler". And it's about $110- or $130-. I can't remember exactly.
But I was lucky, when I went to the court. The cops didn't show up.
I got a ticket of "imporper muffler", but I really don't understand how their standard are for a muffler. what is loud? what is the limit?
Old 04-10-2002, 04:11 PM   #7
Mr seville
6th Gear Member

my friend got pulled over (he has a blue 96vwgti *sick car*)anyway he got a ticket for 90 some odd dollars cause the cop said he didn't have a resonater to silence the exhaust
Mr seville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 04:22 PM   #8
'88 325e
5th Gear Member

Does any one know the laws for that? They have a set Db limit in California. How about here?

Randy(empowerd), Kevin(straight_6), and I (Dave aka:'88 325e) started up Bimmercruize '01. Bimmercruize '02 is on Sunday August 11th! So if you need details about the show please contact us!
L8R,
Dave
'88 325e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2002, 10:10 PM   #9
EMPOWERD

At my trial, when the cop was on the stand he read me the DOT act with regards to improper mufflers... Section: something? Subsection: something or another? It states that any kind of muffler that make excessive noise over the OE part is considered improper here in Canada.... This still allows places like Speedy or Midas to install their crap, as long as it's not louder than the OE stock setup. If you remove your resonator, that's an excessive noise ticket. I know that police park up at the Forks of the Credit in the summer with a db meter to measure sportbike exhausts because the locals complain. That's were you get royally F*UCK'D.

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
Old 04-10-2002, 10:17 PM   #10
330DTM
Cinematographer

Send a message via ICQ to 330DTM Send a message via MSN to 330DTM
Hmm, I think it really depends on the officier who catches you. I mean my A4 friend has been caught two times. Once for a warning b/c of his license plate and once b/c they thought he was up to no good. In both situations, they never gave him a ticket for excessive muffler noise. He had no catback nor resonators. And for those of you who have seen his car, it's pretty loud.
Old 04-10-2002, 11:10 PM   #11
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Yeah, it depends on the cop, once i got pulled over and he asked me if there is something wrong with my muffler. I just said i have a performance exhaust ( 2.5" cat back) and he let me go! Another time i got pulled over (no reason, just a check AGAIN) and after checking my papers he made a comment on my slightly hanging bumper molding ( rear left ) but didnt notice there was NO muffler just a few inches below!! I had to start the car in 3 rd gear and just slide down hill ( lucky for me!!)
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: