Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-12-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
portbraz
1st Gear Newbie

Retrieving Check Engine Light

Hey guys,

New to the forum and most importantly to the beemer scene. Picked up a 2010 335i coupe x drive m sport, alpine white on coral red. Love the car and the colour combo couldn't be happier.

Nonetheless the question I have is how to bring back my check engine light? I cleared the codes and now the won't appear.

Reason I want them to appear is because I have 30 days warranty to cover whatever issue I have and the mechanics can't do work on the car without the engine light on.

The codes I got were, P0301, P0306 and P0303, the last 2 were pending. My research showed that these are cylinder misfire codes in cylinder 1, 3 and 6. Although 3 and 6 were pending.

Anyway, I was ripping the car and revved really high and missed shifted. The next day the light came on but I had no issues with starting the car and as far as I knew the throttle resonse was fine (although now I am paranoid and think that the response is slow, seem sleek it takes .5-1 sec to the gas to give the car power).

So after the light came on I had a friend check the codes and then he erased them. After 250kms the light has still not come back on. I am worried now about the car having issues in the future or there might be something wrong now but without the light on I can't have the cover fixed under warranty and I have about 2 weeks left on it.

So basically back to my question, is there anyway of getting the light back on? Or do you guys think that there is nothing wrong wight he car after driving over 250kms and that it was just a result of the miss shift?
portbraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 09:29 PM   #2
dbworld4k
Addict

You can't just bring the light on. Sometimes the codes will be stored in memory and still accessible even though the light isn't on. I've seen this on my 335i.

Unless you mishifted high enough to significantly exceed the redline, I wouldn't worry as it's driving fine. Shift properly next time and enjoy the car.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black

Last edited by dbworld4k; 06-13-2014 at 01:06 AM. Reason: Spelling
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 10:59 PM   #3
portbraz
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the reply. It is driving fine, I'm probably just being paranoid but they say better safe then sorry. Anyone else have any opinions?

Btw love your rims on your e92!
Old 06-12-2014, 11:22 PM   #4
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by portbraz View Post
Hey guys,

Reason I want them to appear is because I have 30 days warranty to cover whatever issue I have and the mechanics can't do work on the car without the engine light on.

Anyway, I was ripping the car and revved really high and missed shifted.The next day the light came on
Gotta love the honesty

I agree with above post, they may be pending and just not yet tripped the light, do you have a scanner to review pending codes.

Lastly if you truly had a mis in 3 cylinders, you would feel it by the seat of your pants in most cases even if not hugly evident by looking at the motor. A trained eye would see it both ways but I digress.

At any rate I am not sure what you would do any ways, if you admit you caused the issue how is that their problem. You have been honest, stay that way.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:23 PM   #5
portbraz
1st Gear Newbie

The reason I said what happened is because I was wondering if that was the issue that caused the light to come on. Either way I covered and I have 30 days and I don't believe one mis shift is enough to cause enough damage where I should have to fork up the money.

The car is not shaking at all, runs great and the lights still has not come on so I'm hoping its no big deal.

Anyway thanks for the help, glad to be part of this forum. I look forward to interacting with more of you classy fellas!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: