Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-12-2014, 04:24 PM   #46
haikara2308
2nd Gear Member

I'm interested in hearing how the Nankangs fare too, when would you be testing them out?
haikara2308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 05:38 PM   #47
gec
2nd Gear Member

I drive by your place about twice a week..hard ta see in there with the hedge and the trailer but it's good to see the build sitting outside and about ready to rock!
gec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #48
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Quote:
Originally Posted by haikara2308 View Post
I'm interested in hearing how the Nankangs fare too, when would you be testing them out?
Not sure if I'll be able to next Tuesday at Mosport, but if not, the following weekend for sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by gec View Post
I drive by your place about twice a week..hard ta see in there with the hedge and the trailer but it's good to see the build sitting outside and about ready to rock!
Haha, thanks man!

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 01:08 AM   #49
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Last update, I mentioned I had some issues with the front thrust arm bushings. I was offered to have new bushings installed and shipped up in new arms, which was a very fair and kind gesture from the manufacturer, but unfortunately, that wouldn't have fit into the timeline I was looking for. I took the next solution which I could handle myself, and although a bit crude IMO, it works, and I won't have any bushings falling out on me. I ended up welding the outer bearing shell straight to the arm

So now that the entire front end was put together (minus the front struts, still waiting on new coilover sleeves), I was about to turn my attention to the rear end of the car, and finish up the trailing arm bushing install... Until I found out on Monday that a tech inspection was scheduled for the car on Friday.. yes, this Friday. And I hadn't even started on any safety equipment yet. Why wasn't I consulted on this? Beats me... certainly a bit irritating to be put under an unnecessary deadline (IMO, especially when there is tech at the track), but whatever

Hmm... I lost my pic of the seat belt anchor points I welded in. I'll get those tomorrow.

Window net installed. Like how straight it sits? LOL!

Starting to get the kill switch installed. Made some nice looking brackets to fix it to the car.

Tacked in place pic... I forgot to take a pic of the completed welding job, but it basically looks the same.

I'll do the wiring when I'm not tired... just so it won't burn down on me (although I might not mind from the stress this car is giving me!! I kid, I kid ) ... so I might as well do some other idiot-proof work while I'm still here in the shop. Scrape sound deadener!! Damnit... another one of those useless, thankless jobs that I probably shouldn't be doing unless I was getting paid. WTF am I doing... *sigh* What's worse is that this car has at least 2x as much of these panels as an E30!! Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuu....

Old 05-19-2014, 11:07 AM   #50
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Updates... So the interior is painted... only with two coats, it really needs another, possibly two, but we are running out of time! Friday, we had the car teched. Unfortunately, I didn't have the kill switch wiring completely finished in time, so it will need to make a quick visit to tech at the track, but I am not worried or annoyed, as I agree it is a major safety item to make sure it functions correctly. On the bright side, we have our stickers and a logbook for the car! Spent the weekend buttoning up a few odds and ends. I am hoping to take the car on its first test drive today with all the new parts installed, 5 spd, etc etc. Hopefully it all goes well, because tomorrow we are planning to take it to Mosport!

Lets see what I have for pics on my phone... Got a pic of the pull handle for the fire system. Routed it into the fog light switch panel so it is super easy to get to.

Interior coming along. Ran all the wires, cables, tubes, etc. Not turning out too bad...

There is still a bunch of wiring to pull from the car, but I just don't have time at the moment, and taped/ziptied all of it so it won't flail around. You can see a lot of it in the upper left hand side of this pic.

And, also a shot of the rest of the fire system routing. Made one nozzle travel to the engine bay, made it stay tight to the car, and out of the way of fasteners, hood latches, that sort of thing. Very happy with the fire system, and placement of all its pieces. Looks almost factory

Old 05-19-2014, 11:15 PM   #51
exbmwtech
2nd Gear Member

I saw the car in person very very clean excellent work as always Rudy.
exbmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #52
craz azn
6th Gear Member

^ Thanks buddy!

I drove the car a total of 10kms this afternoon... all seems well! Small clunk in the rear, but I think it's just the upper strut bearings... everything is tight in the rear end at least. My surprise afterwards while double checking everything was finding out that the front Racing Dynamics sway bar was touching the lower front control arms at regular ride height... a simple touch with the grinder fixed that (I hope)... We will see tomorrow at Mosport!

Old 05-21-2014, 01:14 AM   #53
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Had the car at Mosport today! Everything ran really well... No leaks, no falling off parts, no fires lol. Only had time for two sessions because I had to return a borrowed tow vehicle. I ran one session, and the owner ran the following session. I only needed one lap to find out that the 'cut' front springs were no match for the rear 2.5" race springs as the spring rates were waaaaaaaayyyyyyy off. It felt like the car wanted to snap at even the slightest manuver. In that case, I made sure to keep my nose clean and drive only as much as I knew to upset the car without going overboard... After a few laps I started to become more ballsy, but luckily the session ended before I could try anything wilder. I will go into detail more tomorrow when I post the in-car video

Old 05-21-2014, 06:11 PM   #54
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Pic from yesterday at the track.

Considering this was only my first 5-6 laps in the car, I feel fairly confident with it already... obviously minus the shit-my-pants spring rate setup. Aside from that fact, I think this car is really easy to drive! It tracks well, turns in well, brakes well, shifts well... I wish I could say the same for acceleration lol. Just have to fix the handling dynamics of the car, and it will be a great car for long distance events.

Old 06-12-2014, 11:09 AM   #55
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Not much to report on, as things in general have been pretty hectic on my end. The only update to the car since May was rear spacers, which helped even out the track width difference. I think I may run into some problems with the wider tires the car will be using on a regular basis, but I'll deal with it when I get there.

The car ran this past Tuesday at Mosport again for around 2hours or so with two drivers, and without a hiccup I may add, so I guess things are going in the right direction. I still need to install the front coilovers and see how it will handle with proper spring rates at the front.

Nice and full looking with the wheels starting to get closer to the fenders

Now it's time to gear up and start to focus on the little details to make it ready for the track once more! Only one or two more test days until the cars first race at Calabogie in July!

Old 06-18-2014, 10:47 PM   #56
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

Sounds like good times enjoy ;-)
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:36 AM   #57
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Thanks Nigel!

This past Sunday, I had the car at the DDT, I drove about 20kms, and the owner put another 120km on the car... ran really well, again without issue! Car handles much better with the front coilovers now installed with 450# front springs... but still slightly tail happy. It is very controllable which surprised me. This would make an awesome drift car! I tried to lower the rear between sessions to alleviate the oversteer trait, but it didn't seem to make a huge difference. I'm just focusing on other details on the car before going back to dealing with setup. Hopefully more updates this weekend!

Old 06-19-2014, 08:25 PM   #58
JINT
5th Gear Member

Saw the video, seems to drive very well, just needs a little more ponies
Old 06-19-2014, 11:27 PM   #59
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

U guys running those nankangs?? How that working out? r comps in chumpcar or they gotta be street legal
BmW1819 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 12:31 AM   #60
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Saw the video, seems to drive very well, just needs a little more ponies
Yessir... Luckily a new powerplant is in the cards in the near future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BmW1819 View Post
U guys running those nankangs?? How that working out? r comps in chumpcar or they gotta be street legal
Nope, haven't had a chance to run the Nankangs, or the Hankooks either... During testing we've just stuck with the dead Dunlops so we have a solid baseline... and a lower breakaway limit so everyone could get used to how the car behaves. Correct, no R comps in chump... 180tw or higher only allowed.

So.... The car is coming along well. Hopefully I'll have some worthy 'post-able' updates after this weekend. In the meantime... I'll just leave this here to get you guys talking LOL

got wing?

hahahahahahaaahahahhahahaaahahahaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaa

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: