Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > F30 - F35 (2012 - Present)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Cogsman
1st Gear Newbie

2014 328d - ISSUES

Hi Everyone.

I returned my 2011 328i xDrive M-sport and picked up a 2014 328d xDrive Modern Line on January 17 from Endras BMW in Ajax. Since then:

-Engine warning light pointing to faulty coolant sensor
-Recall for drainage grommet
-Engine warning light due to battery fault
-Jarring acceleration - when I VERY CONSERVATIVELY accelerate from a stop, the engine revs a bit, the car starts moving slowly, and then suddenly "catches" and jolts as it accelerates - I am not launching myself off the line. It is a very gradual acceleration. It gets worse when I do try launching. They've looked at it and told me it operates "to specification" and they reset the transmission.

And today, I am going back for:

-Recall on rear axle - to determine if the parts need to be replaced (could this be related to the jarring I was talking about? You know, the one where they said it was operating to specification?)
-Headlight aiming malfunction
-Drop in mileage from 6.4 l/100km to 7.2 l/100km - pretty sure that's the wrong direction!
-Error on dashboard "Remote control - start not possible" or some such nonsense

So in short, the car will have been in 4 times in 45 days and the issues keep coming. I can tell you that:

-I did not purchase a BMW to have it in the shop every 2 weeks
-I did not purchase a diesel to receive a loaner which guzzles more gas and therefore costs me more money to operate while they are fixing their own quality issues
-I did not spend the money for a diesel to drive a 320i as a loaner either

And to top it all off, the last loaner they gave me came with the threat that if I didn't bring it back with the same amount of gas that I received it with, they would charge me 20 cents per extra km (not even sure what that means). So beware people, apparently BMW is now owned by Hertz! Anyway...

You can imagine how disappointed I am. This is my 3rd BMW. My 2007 335i had no problems, not even the HPFP issue. My 2011 328i xDrive M-sport had zero issues. And now this. WTF? I am close to abandoning the brand if they don't do the right thing.

What the right thing is... that's harder to determine. Keep the car and fix it until it's FIXED? Give me a new one? Compensate me for my trouble?

I am going to speak to a manager at Endras BMW today, and I am going to let them know of these frustrations, and my overall dissatisfaction towards my purchase. I also feel that Endras has been making more excuses than actually taking my issues seriously. Every time I go in it's as if it's the first time they've seen me. Very uncool.

I know that Ontario has no lemon laws as such, but do I have a recourse? Can anyone advise that has experience in these matters?

Also, I will let everyone know what Endras BMW does (or does not do) to help me.

For now: AVOID THE 328D LIKE THE PLAGUE!
Cogsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
kenmasters
1st Gear Newbie

Sounds like a lemon. See if they will buy it back if you come in again another time. Talk directly with the service manager to resolve your problems. You can take them to court if they are not reasonable and only offer excuses. I would also call BMW Canada and complain. They may not be able to do much, but its worth a shot. If you know who the owner of Ajax is, talk to him or send him a lengthy message.

I was very interested in buying a 328d, but after adding all the options I wanted, it was nearly $60K before taxes. I would buy a used M3 before I get a 328d which is great on fuel, but is slower than the 320i !

I own a 335D. I hear that the 328d should be giving you upwards of 40+ MPG (4 L/100km) mix of highway/city in real life conditions.

I find that some dealerships and service advisors have really bad customer service. You spend $60K on a car and they treat you like crap? I would avoid many many dealerships... I know Marnello is a big sponsor here, but I had a terrible SA there too - bad manners, didn't understand the cars.

EDIT: I noticed the list of problems you've had were either recall related or minor faults that should be easily correctable. Did you buy a 2013 or 2014?

Last edited by kenmasters; 05-13-2014 at 06:46 PM.
kenmasters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 11:38 AM   #3
Tom_Solo
Use to drive a Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmasters View Post
I would also call BMW Canada and complain. They may not be able to do much, but its worth a shot.
They actually can't do anything. I called them when the X6 my mom bought from Autohasue blew up less then a month after she bought it and they wanted her to pay for a rental car for the however many weeks it was going to be. The service manager claimed that my 47 year old mother must have been racing the thing because this shouldn't have happened.

BMW Canada can't do anything. They actually have no power over the individual dealerships.
Tom_Solo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 01:29 PM   #4
kenmasters
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Solo View Post
They actually can't do anything. I called them when the X6 my mom bought from Autohasue blew up less then a month after she bought it and they wanted her to pay for a rental car for the however many weeks it was going to be. The service manager claimed that my 47 year old mother must have been racing the thing because this shouldn't have happened.

BMW Canada can't do anything. They actually have no power over the individual dealerships.
If your car did "blew up" after a month from buying it from a dealership then I would escalate the issue. That's not acceptable under the consumer protection act and I would take legal action if they don't do anything about it. Take pictures and document everything.

I assume its under warranty if you just bought it. Take it to another dealership. Although it somewhat true that dealerships are independent, BMW Canada is not defenseless. They pay for the majority of the work done at these dealerships and have influence over them.

Help out your 47 yr old mom. Sometimes people will take advantage of women who doesn't know any better.
Old 06-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #5
Tom_Solo
Use to drive a Honda

Oh yea it was all under warranty. The issue was that they wanted her to pay for a rental car for about a week and a half. I basically had to get a lawyer on the phone to get them to wave the charge. Worst dealership I've ever been to

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #6
gnome
on the roam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Solo View Post
Oh yea it was all under warranty. The issue was that they wanted her to pay for a rental car for about a week and a half. I basically had to get a lawyer on the phone to get them to wave the charge. Worst dealership I've ever been to

Wow, these dealer horror stories are making me think about staying clear of BMW's next time around. Not to mention all the lifestyle stuff I purchased that didn't get fixed: BMW sunglasses broke, BMW lifetime digital tire pressure guage is dead, BMW M mug had M logo fall off, the list goes on.

I took my wife's Merc in to the Merc dealer last week, place was large, clean impeccable and was offered a loaner car up front before I asked about anything.
Luckily had the wheel package on the car, and both rear tires went flat - no charge to replace with brand new tires.
Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #7
kenmasters
1st Gear Newbie

Autohaus bmw is known to have bad service. You should read about them before taking your car there. There are very good service centers i.e. Parkview, Maranello. But depending on the age of your car, whether you bought it from there, how busy they are, how many loaners are already out, the service level will vary.

I nvr owned a Merc so I don't know how this compares, but I assume all makes has its good and bad.
Old 06-09-2014, 09:18 PM   #8
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

You lease or buy because based on your years 2007-2011-2014ish you lease.

That or you make the worst investment in your life over and over again every 3-4 years.

As far as your complaints go, that's life, some cars will be lemons or lemonish, the complaints may be valid but its a new car, new bugs.

Still hoping you tell me you lease or damn son, you love to lose money for nothing...err except the joy of owning a 3 series lol
Old 06-09-2014, 09:54 PM   #9
Tom_Solo
Use to drive a Honda

It honestly depends on the dealer you go to. Autohause is the worst dealership I have EVER been to, and I'm talking about ever kind (Honda, Chevy, merc, jaguar etc). I would actually drive the 30 minutes out of my way just to go to Maranello when never she had a problem

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: