Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-07-2014, 12:21 PM   #1
ryanjv
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to ryanjv
can i make this wheel fit?

been a while since i've been around these parts on account of my e30 has been in storage for the last couple years, but i brought it down to michigan with me where i live now and since extended winter is over, it's finally time to get to work on it.

I bought this wheel on ebay because i've seem them in E30's and they've always been my favorite. it's the smaller diameter one.

It's in pretty good shape.

Took almost a month to ship from Estonia. Made sure it was fine spline like the e30 and it was. It comes in but it doesn't seem to stick out as far so i can install it.

Am i missing a piece? what do i need to make it fit. Or if i bought a wheel for a different vehicle that looks completely identical... does anyone need a new steering wheel?

Pretty sure it's teh exact same as this wheel

i have the oem 4 spoke.

back of oem

back of new one
ryanjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:12 AM   #2
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
Your new wheel is for a newer BMW aka E36/late E34 etc. You don't even have to look at the back of it to tell. Early fitment M Tech II wheels have straight horizontal spokes, whereas the newer fitment M Tech II wheels have sloped spokes on the top edge that travel to the thumb grip area. What trips up most people is they just look at the horn button (which is the same part) and assume it's the wheel they need.

On another note, I may know somebody that would want to buy this wheel. PM me how much you are looking to get for it.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #3
ryanjv
2nd Gear Member

I'll pm when I get home thanks. So in the picture I posted, is it likely that they have an e36 steering rack and column?

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk
Old 06-08-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
No, definitely not (as far as the column goes). I can't remember offhand if they share the same spline, or maybe if its the E30 airbag column that shares the spline, but either way, you are missing that entire lock chamber on the backside of the wheel (the inner section with the ribbed lines inside) which is where the steering lock engages into your wheel when you remove the key. Without that entire section, your car will still be steerable. That is usually the best telltale that it isn't an E30 fitment wheel.

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 02:00 PM   #5
ryanjv
2nd Gear Member

pm'd

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: