Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-14-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

Spring is here! Love the sound of 6 butterflies.

So thankfully spring is here, as I get to finally listen to the music of the 6 individual butterflies opening up.

In case people are wondering, I bought a Euro-spec 1994 M3 in the fall, and this is the first I've been able to drive it.

I bought it off someone who had imported it from Japan about a year and a half ago, just like I was trying to do, and have done again.

So, the car is an Avus blue M3 coupe, but since it is a '94, it's a 3L 5-speed car. This car has black leather but the next one has the Hurricane cloth.

BBS wheels, Supersprint exhaust and a Bilstein/Racing Dynamics spring set are the only changes from stock. The plan is to use it as my daily driver in the summer, and prep it for track days. I have a long list of mods that are planned, and we will see how I make it through the list:

-first suspension will be some Koni/TC Kline single adjustable suspension
-next up will be the Double adjustable Koni/TC Kline
-lastly, I have a set of JRZ double adjustables to go in
-CAI, likely an AFE
-some sort of software to improve performance
-brake upgrades for track, first off would be pads and SS lines, caliper bushings
-harness mounting
-race seat installation
-oil pan and pump from the Euro 3.2L S50, similar to the S54 dual pickup
-rod bolts, maybe bearings

That's about it for now, which should make for a pretty fun car on-track and on the street.
markertoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 01:40 AM   #2
Ziploc
1st Gear Newbie

If I were you I'd be beefing up RTAB pockets as well. Good peace of mind.
Ziploc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 08:15 AM   #3
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

I have been debating on those. I have heard some are a different thickness, causing an issue with moving the trailing arm. I need to do more research

I am going to do bushings as needed, of course, and possibly ball joints.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

id be replacing every piece of rubber/ball joint under the car if it hasnt been done. dont forget those shock mounts too.

quite a few euro's floating around in the gta these days.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:12 AM   #5
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

I have front camber plates and 2 different styles of rear upper shock mounts to go in when the coilovers go in. I have a set of the RSM reinforcing plates, and either poly or spherical upper mounts.

I know that they are old, but this car only has 118,000km on it. I have new RTABs and some limiters. I haven't gotten a good look at the arms and bushings yet, and I will make a call as soon as I see them. I also have some FLCA brackets and delrin bushings, but they may be too harsh.

I have a UUC flywheel and M5 clutch combo to go in when I get the chance.

Well, they are getting easier and less expensive to bring in. You get a lot of car for the $12K-$16K that they are. And, these cars are all rust-free, and in very good condition.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:43 PM   #6
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

old rubber and plastic degrade with time as well. Even with low km you often find those kinds of components have seen better days if they are original.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:10 PM   #7
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

markertoo, cool car! I think you posted some pictures last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by markertoo View Post
I have been debating on those. I have heard some are a different thickness, causing an issue with moving the trailing arm. I need to do more research

I am going to do bushings as needed, of course, and possibly ball joints.
You are thinking of RTAB "limiters" that may bind. The RTAB pocket re-inforcement is a metal plate that gets welded in where the RTAB mounts to the chassis. Without re-inforcement the mounts may tear out which is a very expensive repair. Given you plan to track the car it's worth looking in to.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:47 PM   #8
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
markertoo, cool car! I think you posted some pictures last year?

You are thinking of RTAB "limiters" that may bind. The RTAB pocket re-inforcement is a metal plate that gets welded in where the RTAB mounts to the chassis. Without re-inforcement the mounts may tear out which is a very expensive repair. Given you plan to track the car it's worth looking in to.
Yes, I had posted a few pics last year. I spent a bit of time cleaning it on the weekend, so that is why it is raining today!

No, the issue that I have heard is that there is at least one company making the metal from too thick of a gauge, and it interferes when you want to adjust the toe.
Old 04-14-2014, 06:14 PM   #9
craz azn
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to craz azn
When's the first planned track day? I want to see this beast in action

Rippin' Proper | Youtube | Vimeo |
craz azn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 08:34 AM   #10
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by craz azn View Post
When's the first planned track day? I want to see this beast in action
I'm not sure yet. I want to get the car prepped first. No need to rush it.
Old 06-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #11
markertoo
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiR View Post
old rubber and plastic degrade with time as well. Even with low km you often find those kinds of components have seen better days if they are original.
Well, the car is up on some high jack stands right now! I have the rear trailing arms out to change the bushings, and I might change both of the control arm bushings that are in it to spherical, while I'm here.

I don't want to be doing this again!

On a side note, my car hoarding seems to have manifested itself again. I bought a second Euro M3! This time I bought a silver one. At least for the near future, I plan on keeping both. The silver one is a bit nicer to drive on the street, so the Avus Blue will become a weekend/track car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: