Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-21-2014, 07:08 AM   #31
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Yep, that announcement came out sometime last year . AFAIK, It's still legal in Canada, but I'd expect normal distribution to be stopped or interrupted.

German Parts at Finch & 400 has them for reasonable prices. They have "For off-road use only" stickers on them.
Old 02-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #32
food
Custom User Title

That's too bad. I thought I had just bought some but I guess it's actually been almost 3 years now.
food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 11:59 AM   #33
Slowered318
Powered by Budgies

I second Precision Tuning @ Keele and Langstaff for ATE and Redline fluids.

You can also buy ATE TYP 200 and save $$$, it's essentially the same as "Super Blue" but will not discolor your reservoir.

Last edited by Slowered318; 02-21-2014 at 12:02 PM.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 04:27 PM   #34
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by food View Post
Now that I've resurrected this thread.

What the hell is up with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Internet
NOTICE: Effective immediately, and until further notice, all distribution of ATE Super Blue Racing DOT 4 Brake Fluid will end in the United States due to non compliance with applicable Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard for brake fluid. The federal standard requires motor vehicle brake fluid to be colorless or amber in color.
Don't worry, the fluid is fine. The Feds just determined that idiots may put the wrong fluid in the brake reservoir, so they made Super Blue illegal. ATE Type 200 is the same thing without the dye.

So is everyone still using Type 200 for decently priced performance brake fluid? Or something else?

edit...
JRP in Mississauga only has Stoptech for $35.
RacingKing, no answer.
Peninsula Imports has Type 200 for $25.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca

Last edited by jabela; 05-13-2014 at 05:37 PM.
jabela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #35
BigD
the misanthropist

I use this stuff:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/prospee...uid-p1619.aspx

Clay said that's what they use in their racecars. He did also say that there's no practical difference between the top fluids but they did find this fluid lasted better than Motul at 24hr races.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:54 AM   #36
RickN
AKA Yorgi

I still switch between SuperBlue and Typ200 between changes so I can tell when fresh fluid is making it to the caliper.

Personally I don't think Motul and the other uber-expensive fluids are worth it since practically every high-end fluid has the same wet boiling point as Typ200, and maybe 45F better when dry. Fluid is wet a month or two after the install so to me that is the more important number.

I had a good laugh once when picking up my car at the dealership for a warranty inspection - the BMW service advisor asked me if I had accidentally put windshield wiper fluid into my bake fluid reservoir since the fluid was blue.

That Prospeed RS683 looks like a great fluid, it's dry boil point blows away everything else in my "racing brake fluid" spreadsheet and it cost about the same as Motul.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

Last edited by RickN; 05-19-2014 at 04:03 AM.
RickN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 11:13 AM   #37
jabela
4th Gear Member

Where are you getting super blue? Nobody is stocking it any more due to it being not DOT approved (and probably it of production). Or are you just using stocked up fluid?

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 05-20-2014, 12:02 AM   #38
RickN
AKA Yorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Where are you getting super blue? Nobody is stocking it any more due to it being not DOT approved (and probably it of production). Or are you just using stocked up fluid?
I have about 10L of SuperBlue in stock. I would buy it in volume when I ordered something from the US (eg from Turner/Zeckhausen/TireRack) since it cost only $12L or so down there. I did not realize they no longer stock it since I have not ordered any for over a year.

If you like switching between SuperBlue and Type200 I would try to grab as much from local vendors while you can. I'll probably stick to Typ200 if I can no longer find SuperBlue. I like the looks of Prospeed but it goes for $60/L which is 4X the cost of Typ200 so probably not worth the price for the small increase in performance. It's more important to change fluid often than use over the top uber fluid.
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

Old 05-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #39
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickN View Post
I have about 10L of SuperBlue in stock. I would buy it in volume when I ordered something from the US (eg from Turner/Zeckhausen/TireRack) since it cost only $12L or so down there. I did not realize they no longer stock it since I have not ordered any for over a year.

If you like switching between SuperBlue and Type200 I would try to grab as much from local vendors while you can. I'll probably stick to Typ200 if I can no longer find SuperBlue. I like the looks of Prospeed but it goes for $60/L which is 4X the cost of Typ200 so probably not worth the price for the small increase in performance. It's more important to change fluid often than use over the top uber fluid.
Heh, yea I still have SuperBlue that I bought off of you I just put a bit in so I could see the change and filled the rest with Typ 200.

I do need to stock up with Typ 200 for my next USA visit, though the price has gone up quite a bit there as well. It's over $16/L now.

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 05-20-2014, 02:00 AM   #40
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Yeah, pretty shitty, but the one without the blue dye has the same specs, so not too bad...Found out half way into a brake job this spring....
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:35 AM   #41
RickN
AKA Yorgi

It goes for $13.50 at Turner Motorsports but you are right, I used to get it for $10/L at most of the major online retailers and they all seem to charge $15 now.
'01 330Ci - sold
'88 325iC - sold

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: