Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 1 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 04-14-2014, 09:16 PM   #1
matthewjj
1st Gear Newbie

128i suspicious...

Hey all,

So I've been in the market for a new car for a while and with the warm weather coming along I've started hunting down a few cars.

I came across a 128i that apparently had no collisions but when I looked at the CarFax it had damage to the front bumper. The sales associate told me it was just a bumper replacement but in the description of the collision it stated a $10,000 repair! :|

Now please correct me if I am wrong, and I don't mind being wrong but, there must be more to this accident than just a bumper repair.

TL;DR shady sales person, telling me car had just a bumper replacement...reality is the repair costed 10K...I'm now suspicious...

Thoughts??
matthewjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Is the dealer in the Jane & Finch area? Walk away...
Old 04-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
matthewjj
1st Gear Newbie

Haha, it is actually. I guess they have a poor reputation...

Thanks for the heads up. I guess my bmw search continues!
Old 04-15-2014, 12:14 PM   #4
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

I don't know what specific dealer you were at, but the ones in that area are notorious. They seem to like the "good from far but far from good" BMWs. Not surprised they'd tell you a story to sell a previously damaged car.
Old 04-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
Pierce330
2nd Gear Member

What is the dealership called? Google it and likely find many reviews...I would just walk away from it
E90 328i Xdrive (Current)
Pierce330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #6
matthewjj
1st Gear Newbie

yeah i just walked away from the dealership.

i dont want to say the name of the dealership...might be against forum rules or something to bad mouth a place.

but i think theres a general consensus that if you looking for BMW's stay away of that area!

from one BMW fan to another, thanks guys for giving me the heads up
Old 04-15-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
Barnsdale
2nd Gear Member

GL on finding something, I own a E82 and love it! Just pay the premium and buy CPO from the dealer if you can't find one from an enthusiast.
Barnsdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:00 PM   #8
matthewjj
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnsdale View Post
GL on finding something, I own a E82 and love it! Just pay the premium and buy CPO from the dealer if you can't find one from an enthusiast.
I bet you do love it! Haha who wouldn't!
And thanks, yeah I think those are really the only options at this point. Too many sales people trying to make a quick buck and pull a fast one on people
Old 04-15-2014, 10:00 PM   #9
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjj View Post
Hey all,

So I've been in the market for a new car for a while and with the warm weather coming along I've started hunting down a few cars.

I came across a 128i that apparently had no collisions but when I looked at the CarFax it had damage to the front bumper. The sales associate told me it was just a bumper replacement but in the description of the collision it stated a $10,000 repair! :|

Now please correct me if I am wrong, and I don't mind being wrong but, there must be more to this accident than just a bumper repair.

TL;DR shady sales person, telling me car had just a bumper replacement...reality is the repair costed 10K...I'm now suspicious...

Thoughts??
If Carfax stated $10000 in repair n you know that replacing bumper
Might be in the $2000 range(OEM) then walk away,obviously
you knew the salesperson is not presenting himself honestly.

Take your time n do your DD when buying a car
damameke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 10:22 AM   #10
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

I wouldn't be worried about the 10K repair, I would be worried about the lies that you are being fed.
It doesn't take much to rack up 10K these days on cars, body shops are raping the insurance companies for every penny they can.
I bet you it went like this;
Bumper + Painte ~2-2500$
Misc clips/plastic trim 5-700$
Front Foglights (if equipped) 5-600$ plus install?
AC Condenser/Radiator? etc 1000-1500 plus install?
Storage fees (while the insurance guy finds time to go see it) $4-500?
Bumper grills? 100-200?
Any other BS shit those guys decide to charge $$???

My co-worker bumped someone from the back with his escape.
The car needed bumper, fogs, some misc trim and a grill. He drove it for 2 weeks after the accident before dropping it off to get repaired.

They replaced the WHOLE FRONT END!!! Hood, grill, radiator, Ac condencer, rad support, headlights, etc etc etc.... To make a quick buck.

If you really like the car, can get it for a decent price, etc, get it PPI'd and leave a few bucks in your pocket. I'd rather know a car was repaired properly (since 90% of cars are in some sort of a collision over their life), then some cars with clean carproof that have been pieced together at the back of a driveway somewhere.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'04 Volvo S60R/6spd.:Nautical Blue/Gobi&Black
'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8 SOLD
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
matthewjj
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
I wouldn't be worried about the 10K repair, I would be worried about the lies that you are being fed.
It doesn't take much to rack up 10K these days on cars, body shops are raping the insurance companies for every penny they can.
I bet you it went like this;
Bumper + Painte ~2-2500$
Misc clips/plastic trim 5-700$
Front Foglights (if equipped) 5-600$ plus install?
AC Condenser/Radiator? etc 1000-1500 plus install?
Storage fees (while the insurance guy finds time to go see it) $4-500?
Bumper grills? 100-200?
Any other BS shit those guys decide to charge $$???

My co-worker bumped someone from the back with his escape.
The car needed bumper, fogs, some misc trim and a grill. He drove it for 2 weeks after the accident before dropping it off to get repaired.

They replaced the WHOLE FRONT END!!! Hood, grill, radiator, Ac condencer, rad support, headlights, etc etc etc.... To make a quick buck.

If you really like the car, can get it for a decent price, etc, get it PPI'd and leave a few bucks in your pocket. I'd rather know a car was repaired properly (since 90% of cars are in some sort of a collision over their life), then some cars with clean carproof that have been pieced together at the back of a driveway somewhere.
Excellent point and well laid out. I guess you have to consider every side of the story and in this case a lot of repair shops are just trying to take advantage of the system and make a quick buck
Old 04-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #12
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
I'd rather know a car was repaired properly (since 90% of cars are in some sort of a collision over their life), then some cars with clean carproof that have been pieced together at the back of a driveway somewhere.
Unfortunately dealers almost never provide any real details on the repairs. And it isn't realistic for the average PPI to determine if the repair was 100%. They're not going to put the car on the rack to check the frame for straightness. Or do a full alignment to make sure it can be aligned to spec. Or check all of the the wiring for sketchy splices. Or spray everything with water to see if any seals are compromised. Or...

Plus then you still have to deal with selling the car someday. There are ALOT of people that simply will not look at a car if it doesn't have a clean Carproof.

I fully understand your point that there are sketchy cars with clean Carproofs though!
Old 04-17-2014, 01:19 PM   #13
Pierce330
2nd Gear Member

There are so many "clean cars" with clean Carproofs...I remember, cars from Quebec were really bad, now, I've heard that the provinces share/disclose information...
Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #14
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
a carproof costs what, 30$?

for 100$ you can have someone who knows these cars in and out tell you exactly what was replaced, how hard it was hit, and more importantly the overall shape of the car.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:44 PM   #15
Pierce330
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
a carproof costs what, 30$?

for 100$ you can have someone who knows these cars in and out tell you exactly what was replaced, how hard it was hit, and more importantly the overall shape of the car.
Totally agree with you!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: