Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Audio/Sound
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-22-2014, 11:15 PM   #1
stoits
2nd Gear Member

Dynavin vs. eonon LCD multimedia display

Can anyone tell me which would be a better fit and which unit works better for my BMW E90?

The Dynavin DVN-E9X
BMW series 6.2" Touch Screen LCD Multimedia Navigation System

Or

The eonon d5165U
7" Car DVD Player GPS 1 Din Bluetooth Touch Stereo Radio

Your thoughts and expertise in the issue is greatly appreciated. Any pics you have with these using installed would be great too!!!
stoits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 08:10 AM   #2
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

In all honesty, the Dynavin is the better unit, but that should be no surprise since it costs 3 times more than the Eonon.

I say this because the Eonon units can sometimes be buggy with their GPS software, and microphones. Now, if you're a bit computer savvy, that's fine. You can install 3rd party GPS applications, and do software/firmware updates as they become available.

Personally, I went in on a group buy for the E46 model. At $319.. the price is unbeatable, and that was for the updated interface version, that supposedly had all the kinks worked out.

I'd head over to E90Fanatics and look in the Site Sponsor/Group Buy section. The sales rep's name is Carlos, and I'm sure there will be a group buy going on soon if there isn't already.

Dynavin = $1100
Eonon group buy = $329

For the small chance that a few bugs will be encountered here and there.. the Eonon is a no-brainer in terms of value.
ac_2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:13 PM   #3
marco328is
3rd Gear Member

did you end up getting one.

i'm asking myself the same question right now.
Dynavin or Eonon???
marco328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 02:29 PM   #4
gnome
on the roam

Let me know, i am about to purchase one or the other now for my E46. (B-Day gift ).
Need to know what add-ons need to be purchased as well, e.g. GPS antennae or it comes with one? etc.
Old 05-20-2015, 06:20 PM   #5
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

Dynavin is pretty horrible. I have been using it for the last 3 years. I wished I hadn't bought it and just went with a Garmin + Dice iPod interface.
newbe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
marco328is
3rd Gear Member

i just purchased the dynavin today. after reading all the reviews the new N6 is the way to go if you don't want to replace stock amp, speakers and head unit. (logic 7)

lots of bad reviews on older generation dynavin. i will give you my feedback once it is installed later next week.
marco328is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 07:03 PM   #7
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

They are plug & play..
ac_2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:24 AM   #8
slammed_e36
1st Gear Newbie

Hey guys, ive been looking into installing one in my 2003 540i since last summer and cant decide myself between the dynavin and the eonon. I figure the eonon for the price since it offers enough even if its buggy what do we want for the price and probably made in china.i already have an ipod connector and a parrot bluetooth but nothing like a touch screen panel right in front of you. I read this week about a avin made by a guy in usa. Its android but goes for 799$ us. Is that one worth the difference in price? Or do i just go with a cheap unit that will work fine and save some cash for mods.. Thanks for any help guys
slammed_e36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:29 AM   #9
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

I have Dynavin V6 and my experience is only so-so. It does have good fitment and it was fairly easy to install. It goes give you that clean look like an original BMW unit that other after brands cannot give you. Now that's the good parts and here is the bad.

The screen has so much glare sometimes that you can't really use any touch screen functions. The microphone for the Bluetooth picks up so much ambient noise that render the handsfree function useless. Unless the car is not moving I can't use the Bluetooth to have a conversation on the phone. The iPod user interface is really a joke and is not even close to the same usability as other after market brands. Also, the shuffle function sometimes does not work and keeps playing the same song over and over again. The GPS does not have text to speech, this is 2015 what GPS does have text to speech? This leads me to the next point. Since I have to look at the map to confirm when do I have to make a turn, I rely on the text on the map. They are so small that I need a binocular to make out the name of the street on the map.

To be fair though, this is the V6 and I heard the one after that the newer version, if there is one, has tons of improvements.

This is the one I have for your reference.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=881796
newbe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:47 PM   #10
Nick_V
6th Gear Member

I have a Dynavin N6 (E46) and I can't say I've experienced any of the problems detailed in the last post.

I've only used the Nav once or twice but it got me where I needed to go with no drama.

I bought it more for audio and I've been pretty happy with it. I'm running all aftermarket amps/speakers/sub and it's great to have a factory look with the capability of a decent aftermarket head unit (3x4V pre-outs, high-quality D/A converters, etc). One thing I like is that instead of a separate ipod cable, it just uses the USB input/cable, so whether you're using an ipod, thumb drive or whatever, you only need one input cable. I got a flush mount USB and mounted it where the cigarette lighter used to be.

To answer Gnome's question, it came with a GPS antenna and also an external Bluetooth mic, but I opted to just use the built in mic and it's been fine so far. There were also some other cables/harnesses for stuff like backup cameras, auxiliary inputs (audio and video), internet, tv, and I can't remember what else atm. If you were to use all of it I don't know how you'd ever manage to stuff all the wires in there and still be able to fit the unit in the dash.

I was a bit worried after reading some negative feedback on Dynavin, but the general consensus seems to be that they stepped it up with the N6. I haven't spent a ton of time with it but so far I only have two significant annoyances:

- the scroll function on the touch screen is finicky. Often when trying to scroll I'll inadvertently select something because the the scroll bar isn't wide enough. I have fat fingers but even my wife has this problem sometimes with her skinny ones. As far as I know there isn't any adjustment for the screen sensitivity/zones, etc, but again, I haven't spent a lot of time messing with it.

- for some reason there are two different EQ sections; one with just bass, middle, treble, and another with a 5 or 7 band (can't remember atm) graphic eq. Not sure why but the unit remembers my settings on the first but loses the graphic eq settings every time the unit is turned off. Not a huge deal since I can accomplish what I need with the basic eq for the most part, but I'm not sure why this is. I haven't checked for a firmware update since I bought it, so maybe there's something available to solve this.
Nick_V is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: