Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 03-17-2014, 08:35 AM   #121
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

I went to a custom motorcycle shop in town on Saturday looking for some throttle cable bits for the ITB project. They didn't have anything useful... probably because all they work on is Harlies. I'm going to go check out Zdeno on Saturday they should have something I can use there.
Old 03-17-2014, 10:17 AM   #122
frankie591
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
I went to a custom motorcycle shop in town on Saturday looking for some throttle cable bits for the ITB project. They didn't have anything useful... probably because all they work on is Harlies. I'm going to go check out Zdeno on Saturday they should have something I can use there.
They probably have a handful of triumphs out in the boneyard.
frankie591 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #123
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

It doesn't have to be any specific make, I just need some straight adjusters to put on the ends of the cable that I cut

Old 03-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #124
Sea Aych
2nd Gear Member

So my gas gauge is wild and unpredictable and today it decided to get even wilder - It's below E but the OBC says i've got about 120km left in it - which should i trust? Is it more like 20km?
Judging by my normal mileage, it seems like it's about 100km short of usual, which is comforting, but i've been doing a lot more city driving lately, which is why i'm unsure...
I fiddled with the cluster and the connections but to no avail
Sea Aych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #125
supernaught
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to supernaught
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Call Cycle Salvage in Cavan (near Peterborough). Between bikes, quads, and sleds they should have something for you.

How is the the 3.0L stroker coming?

88 325IX TOURING DiamantSchwarz|89 325IX AlpinWeiss|88 325IX DiamantSchwarz
supernaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:07 PM   #126
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Aych View Post
So my gas gauge is wild and unpredictable and today it decided to get even wilder - It's below E but the OBC says i've got about 120km left in it - which should i trust? Is it more like 20km?
Judging by my normal mileage, it seems like it's about 100km short of usual, which is comforting, but i've been doing a lot more city driving lately, which is why i'm unsure...
Trust the dummy light (assuming the bulb isn't burnt out lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supernaught View Post
How is the the 3.0L stroker coming?
That idea got shelved. I'm going to screw around with the M10 in the E21. If my 2.8 stroker grenades I'll rebuild it 3.0L.
Old 03-20-2014, 03:17 AM   #127
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Probably an issue with the sending unit in the tank... the OBC does'nt rely on that it calculates distance to DOA based on speed/driving style etc. since you tell it when you have gassed up and so on... I would say you still have a 100km in the tank but if in doubt do what I do and carry a small jerry can full of bogie juice at all times... side bennie it can be a great way to meet damsels in distress at the side of the road... I personally rescued a car full of cuties on the Danforth this time last year and they posted the FB pics to prove it lol... called me "their knight in shining armour" lol...
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #128
Slowered318
tick.tick.tick.tick.tick

Where were you when I ran out of gas last fall? I should have showed more leg on the side of the road.

You should add a booster pack and an air compressor to your gear playa.
Slowered318 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:46 PM   #129
Sea Aych
2nd Gear Member

Hmm...dummy light comes on with roughly 40km left right? Because i've seen 32km on the OBC and the light was still off :p
Old 03-20-2014, 01:52 PM   #130
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Hmm...dummy light comes on with roughly 40km left right? Because i've seen 32km on the OBC and the light was still off :p
It comes on with something like 6 or 7 litres remaining. That should be enough to get you at least 40km if your oxygen sensor isn't working lol
Old 03-21-2014, 07:28 AM   #131
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Press the "1000" and "1" buttons together, and it will give you the fuel remaining in liters. If this reading proves to be unreliable, then the problem is your sending units. If it seems to be good, then the problem is in your cluster (typically grounds or SI batteries).
Old 03-21-2014, 09:16 AM   #132
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
typically grounds or SI batteries
If it is the SI board batteries, onlybatteries.com has the batteries you need (CR14250SET-FT) for the best prices I was able to find and they're located in Quebec. That includes Chinese/Korean sellers.

Also if you order on Saturdays there's a coupon code you can use to get a better deal. I'll dig that up and edit it in here when I get home.
Old 03-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #133
Sea Aych
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
Press the "1000" and "1" buttons together, and it will give you the fuel remaining in liters. If this reading proves to be unreliable, then the problem is your sending units. If it seems to be good, then the problem is in your cluster (typically grounds or SI batteries).
yeah yeah it's pretty iffy - stops going down below 12 litres :p
most likely sending unit - either way, it's back to normal now, so i'm just running approximately off the gauge and the odometer - all good i guess lol
Old 03-27-2014, 01:40 AM   #134
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowered318 View Post
Where were you when I ran out of gas last fall? I should have showed more leg on the side of the road.

You should add a booster pack and an air compressor to your gear playa.
Have'nt got a compressor yet but I do carry jumper cables in my ride at all times and I usually have an air pig fully charged and ready to rock... my experience with those portable 12v compressors is that they don't have enough duty cycle to fully inflate a tire in one go... a full pig will generally do at least 2 light truck tires from fully flat to full inflation easily...

I also carry a first aid kit and a few needles and thread...

a true gentleman is always prepared for any emergency
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:49 AM   #135
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cmQdCXolVk
Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: