Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-19-2014, 11:11 AM   #16
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
What does it mean if my car is running EU2, yet it still cycles through the catalyst warm up idle? (I.e. the idle will maintain around 1200rpm for 2 or so minutes from a cold start)

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2
From my experience when I first flashed the EU2 software without disconnecting the SAP relay and fuse 4 the ECU was no longer looking for the secondary air pump. It did not run on cold starts and the monitor was N/A.
The ECU was still looking for cats and o2 sensors but wasn't looking for the secondary air pump. The cold start idle seemed to be the same as my original tune.

Now that I'm running EU2 software in CAT-preparation mode I'd say the cold start idle seems to be right around 850-900 rmp. I'd imagine on a really cold day it would still bump up the idle to warm the engine up faster even if there are no cats in place.
Aveman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #17
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

FYI I paid closer attention this morning and when I cold started the car it stayed at around 1100 rpm for 15 seconds then dropped to 950 or so for 30 seconds then settled down to normal idle after that.

If I recall correctly it would idle close to 1200 and stay above 1000 rpm while the SAP was running with my original tune.

I'd guess that your car is running the EU2 software in CAT mode. Just because you don't have any check engine lights and your secondary air pump doesn't run anymore
doesn't mean the ECU isn't still running a map for a car equipped with Cats. Do you have access to INPA or GT1/DIS?

Last edited by Aveman; 02-20-2014 at 11:56 AM.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #18
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

So I've been experimenting with Aveman's setup on a 2001 325i which has the 7564452 tune.
It is notable to mention that particular tune was used by BMW under two different time periods as follows:

UNTIL May 2003 with the following settings:
(Note: there is no mention of EU2 under this time period)
Automatic transmission Yes/No
And
Data record without EOBD Yes

FROM May 2003 with the following settings:

EU2 exhaust emissions standard Yes
And
Equipment for leaded fuel No
And
EU3 exhaust emissions standard No
And
Data record without EOBD No

ALTERNATIVELY
(and I believe the 325i in question is running with the configuration below), the same "tune" provides these characteristics:

EU2 exhaust emissions standard No
And
And
EU3 exhaust emissions standard Yes
And

See for yourself here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E4...unit#7564452_1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I can see above, the 7564452 tune does not satisfy both Data record without EOBD AND EU2 exhaust emissions standards at the same time.
Hence, I draw the conclusion that the 325i MAY be running under EU3 emissions standards.

Aveman - How many drive cycles did you have to go through with your 330i before TouchScan said it was ready for emissions testing?

I have pulled the underhood 30A fuse for the O2 sensors, and the orange relay for the SAP.
Now I have checked in INPA, and the 325i in question is indeed showing up as "CAT-Preparation".
As I left off today however, TouchScan shows the following emissions systems as Available but NOT Complete:
- Catalyst
- Oxygen Sensor
- Oxygen Sensor Heater
*And yes, I did clear all adaptations in INPA.

Perhaps I have not been running the car long enough with the fuse/relay pulled?
If this does not work, I'm thinking about flashing the 7564476 tune.

Thoughts?

Last edited by ac_2007; 02-24-2014 at 12:41 AM.
ac_2007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 01:00 PM   #19
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_2007 View Post
So I've been experimenting with Aveman's setup on a 2001 325i which has the 7564452 tune.
It is notable to mention that particular tune was used by BMW under two different time periods as follows:

UNTIL May 2003 with the following settings:
(Note: there is no mention of EU2 under this time period)
Automatic transmission Yes/No
And

EU2 exhaust emissions standard Yes
And
And
EU3 exhaust emissions standard No
And
Data record without EOBD No

ALTERNATIVELY
(and I believe the 325i in question is running with the configuration below), the same "tune" provides these characteristics:

EU2 exhaust emissions standard No
And
And
EU3 exhaust emissions standard Yes
And

See for yourself here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E4...unit#7564452_1
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

From what I can see above, the 7564452 tune does not satisfy both Data record without EOBD AND EU2 exhaust emissions standards at the same time.
Hence, I draw the conclusion that the 325i MAY be running under EU3 emissions standards.

Aveman - How many drive cycles did you have to go through with your 330i before TouchScan said it was ready for emissions testing?

I have pulled the underhood 30A fuse for the O2 sensors, and the orange relay for the SAP.
Now I have checked in INPA, and the 325i in question is indeed showing up as "CAT-Preparation".
As I left off today however, TouchScan shows the following emissions systems as Available but NOT Complete:
- Catalyst
- Oxygen Sensor
- Oxygen Sensor Heater
*And yes, I did clear all adaptations in INPA.

Perhaps I have not been running the car long enough with the fuse/relay pulled?
If this does not work, I'm thinking about flashing the 7564476 tune.

Thoughts?
It took a one trip to work for the oxygen sensor monitor to go ready, which was about 25 minutes of mixed city/highway driving.

The tune I'm running doesn't meet EOBD standards either which in turn disables the CEL during key on. In most states they require that the CEL be illuminated with the key in the on position. I read on e46fanatics that one person ran a jumper wire from their oil light to the CEL light and another modified the code to allow for the CEL to illuminate during key on. I asked
a mechanic friend if in Ontario they look for the CEL to be on during key on and he laughed and said he had just sent a car with a burnt out CEL and it passed. I wanted to play it safe and went to Economy Lube for my test and it passed no problem with no CEL on during key on.

Check this thread:

http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...php?p=13352660

A guy with a 325i asked for the tune and was told this:

They said "Assuming your car is RWD, not a SULEV, and was built before 03/2003 tell the dealer to manually input 7564476 (EU2) or 7564450 (EU3) as the DME software version."

Also at the end of this thread:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...1009137&page=2

Because the 325i you're working on now shows CAT-preparation means it has
to be running an EU2 tune but as for your monitors not going ready, that could be because it isn't running open loop and is looking for the o2 sensors?

I'd flash to 7564476 mostly because of the fact that the guys that know what they are talking about on e46fanatics are recommending it.

When I did my own research I found a different tune but went with what they were saying to use on e46fanatics which was 7545671.

Last edited by Aveman; 02-24-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 01:45 PM   #20
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

I drove it spiritedly for about 50km so far. Brought my laptop with me today, and all 3 of those systems still show up as not ready.

Most likely I'll go ahead and flash 7564476 as planned, hopefully that makes a difference.
I'm curious though, when you load up INPA (to clear adaptations for example), do you select "MS43 for E46" as the menu option in "Engine"? (somewhere in the middle of the menu box). It looks like there's another option near the top for "All E46" or something to that nature.

Obviously this is the correct configuration to select for the 325i, however I get a warning message "Versions do not match. Malfunction possible" before proceeding further. I wonder if this has anything to do with INPA's ability to properly clear my adaptations. Also, did you clear them with the engine running or just key-in, pos. 2?

I remember when I used to be a "guy that knew what he was talking about" when it came to this stuff. Wrote the install guide for BMW Standard tools suite on E46fanatics and now I find myself referring to my own DIY... LOL, a couple years have gone by since!

At that time I was speaking with George (newtoE46, newM3fan, etc. his username has changed too many times) about this stuff, and he was looking for a programming solution to enable the CEL to illuminate with EU2. Did you come across the solution in any threads since? I have kept myself out of the loop for some time.

Last edited by ac_2007; 02-24-2014 at 02:30 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 03:07 PM   #21
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

I get the same version error in INPA. I just click ok and everything works fine after so I wouldn't worry about that.

I cleared adaptations with the key in position 2 and the engine not running, as far as I know clearing adaptations with the engine running is a big no no. I then turn the key off then back on before trying to start it.

Nice, all of the info I needed was on e46fanatics so I'm sure I encountered some of your work. Haha didn't mean any disrespect when I said people that know what they are talking about on e46fanatics. It definitely doesn't take long to fall out of the loop with this kind of stuff.

As for the CEL illumination looks like new//M3fan did it here:

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1009279

Since we are in Ontario you don't have to bother, even if it was a criteria in Ontario you just need a moron mechanic to do the e-test. You are almost guaranteed to find one at Economy Lube. I believe in the states older OBD-0 cars needed to have a functioning CEL light with key on so the tech can easily identify if the car has any emissions related errors. In Ontario they do a conventional tail pipe test for non OBD II cars and OBD II cars would scan a code anyway. Maybe that's why they don't automatically fail you if they don't see the CEL illuminated during key on in Ontario?

Once you flash the 7564476 tune and get everything sorted out I'd be interested to hear if you feel a noticeable difference in power. Regardless the tune for euro cat cars adds a few HP over stock but a tune optimized for no cats is even better. I'd guess that the tune allows for more fuel down low which is okay as there is no cat to foul up and a bit leaner up top without fear of burning up the cats?

Last edited by Aveman; 02-24-2014 at 03:23 PM.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:31 PM   #22
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

If my WinKFP still works, I'll flash 7564476 later today and let you know!

(and I wasn't kidding about referring to my own guide )
Old 02-24-2014, 11:53 PM   #23
ac_2007
Cruising in Top Gear

The 7564476 flash was successful.

It could be a side effect of the colder ambient temperatures tonight, however the 325i seemed to pull very healthy and strong.
I wouldn't say it feels any faster per say, however clearing the adaptations has made clutch modulation easier, and rev-matching MUCH smoother.

I did some 30km/h to "top-of-2nd-gear" pulls against my buddy's "mayo-engined" 2002 330i 5-speed (on his private farm road).
As far as we know, his car is bone stock, other than a seemingly 6800rpm rev-limit. PO installed a shark injector perhaps?
Either way, this test should have taken driver skill out of the list of variables. Both cars are manual.

Honestly, I was consistently about 2-3 car lengths ahead of him.
The 325i only has headers and a Magnaflow catback.
I don't attribute this "win" to the tune, but rather to the 330's lack of maintenance.

Anyways, onto the important bit:
  • - After flashing to the EU2 tune mentioned above, with the 30A fuse and SAP relay pulled, the car still showed 3 systems not ready.
  • - I reconnected the 30A fuse, and VOILA! The car is ready for it's emissions testing. Only oxygen sensor heaters are not working, exactly like Aveman's screenshot showed.
  • - I'm unsure if the vehicle is still running in CAT-Preparation mode, but I'll scan in the morning.
  • - I drove it about 25km. All seems well, open-loop and closed-loop both show emissions readiness.

It's looking good

Last edited by ac_2007; 02-24-2014 at 11:56 PM.
Old 02-26-2014, 02:18 PM   #24
Aveman
2nd Gear Member

Nice, I also noticed rev-matching and starting from a stop to be much easier. I attributed it to an improved throttle map on the new tune.

Yeah sounds like you have a broader torque curve now with this new tune which would pull strong but not necessarily feel "faster" even though your car is picking up quicker.

There is a guy named Llink78 on e46fanatics claiming 234 WHP/197 WTQ with Supersprint replica headers, bmw performance intake and pulleys with an EU2 tune. The torque seems a bit low but the WHP seems high compared to cars listed in the Dyno thread. I'd say approximately about 10 WHP higher but of course I'm just speculating... I want to go to the next dyno day and I'll update this thread.

I usually shift at 6600 but I believe my car can also go right up to a 6800 hard limit. Haha I'd say unless that 330i is completely clapped out it's pretty impressive that you could put car lengths on it. You've probably picked up a good 30 WHP with the tune and your mods.

Nice so now your prepared for an emissions test. Please let me know if it still says CAT-Preparation, if it does I'll try doing the same. If I can run closed loop using the primary o2 sensors and utilize the CAT-Preparation tune during WOT open loop driving that would be ideal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: