Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 12-01-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
yamahaone
1st Gear Newbie

Passed my E-test.92 s52 supercharged

O.K. passed my e-test. What an adventure. I should have done more research on the war chip it does not work with windows 7 had to buy a used laptop with XP and the war chip has bugs when you load a tune it moves it one position and the tune selection switch is opposite of the screen.Learned all that at the dyno. set it up for a 2 speed idle test we used a 5 gas tester. set up idle to pass and the 2500 rpm it looked good so went to test it this is a problem because only eastgate ford or cantire centermall can do a 2 speed test in the hamilton area.i went to cantire told them what i have in the car.They talked to ontario drive clean and said they can not do the test gave me a # to call.I called it and they said the car is a hot rod they emailed me a form this way my vin will match all the changes i did.no way i am doing that insurance will cancel me.so i went to eastgate ford didnt say anything about the car and it just failed they tested it to fast cat was not warmed up.so i made a new tune just for the test real lean.switch it before the test and then back to drive home and it passed no problem. Thanks Miller WAR chip and DL motorsports i can drive my car next year.
yamahaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 09:18 PM   #2
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
can you please post the form they sent you? if you dont know how to edit out your private info send it to me and i'll edit it for you.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:07 AM   #3
_JohnnyD_
2nd Gear Member

Nice. You got lucky that you actually passed. I did the hot rod certification for my V8 E30 in August and the paperwork was a pain in the ass. I think with a turbo S52 it would be even harder (or maybe impossible).

BTW: Forbes Service Centre on Rymal can do the 2 speed test. They are nice guys but don't know anything about BMWs.

Henry Ford
_JohnnyD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
P90Puma
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaone View Post
.no way i am doing that insurance will cancel me
It's OK, the second you get into an accident or someone hits you your insurance is going to be cancelled anyways.
P90Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #5
yamahaone
1st Gear Newbie

Here is the form.photo.JPG
yamahaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #6
food
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaone View Post
I called it and they said the car is a hot rod they emailed me a form this way my vin will match all the changes i did.no way i am doing that insurance will cancel me.
I spoke to my broker about this. He said that that the insurance companies are not informed of what cars are on the "hot rod" list the ministry keeps. That said, I don't know how difficult it would be for an insurer to call up the ministry and ask for the information.
food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:16 PM   #7
Daxxas
1st Gear Newbie

next time you get your etest tell them it's got the wrong engine in it, they'll ask "was it ever available in this car" tell them no, because it wasn't. That will classify your car as a "hot rod" as far as their computer/tester is concerned and your limits will be raised. You dont have to fill out that form, just tell the guy running the test. For my 91 e30 hydrocarbons for example was raised to 300ppm from 200ppm, which was enough for me. Insurance wont find out if you tell the e-tester guy and they wont look you up unless you give them reason to, they have bigger fish to fry. And if you smash your car you'll probably want to buy it back anyway. That said if your broker is extreme and you hurt someone in an accident they can charge you with fraud and drop you.
1991 318is s/c: dirtE30 - sold
Daxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:57 PM   #8
_JohnnyD_
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daxxas View Post
next time you get your etest tell them it's got the wrong engine in it, they'll ask "was it ever available in this car" tell them no, because it wasn't. That will classify your car as a "hot rod" as far as their computer/tester is concerned and your limits will be raised. You dont have to fill out that form, just tell the guy running the test. For my 91 e30 hydrocarbons for example was raised to 300ppm from 200ppm, which was enough for me. Insurance wont find out if you tell the e-tester guy and they wont look you up unless you give them reason to, they have bigger fish to fry. And if you smash your car you'll probably want to buy it back anyway. That said if your broker is extreme and you hurt someone in an accident they can charge you with fraud and drop you.

This is very strange. I was told by a few shops and friends in the business that the shop no longer gets to determine if the car is a "hot rod" or what type of test is required. The tester is restricted to the default test for the VIN the tech enters and most testers have cameras to the MTO. The only way to change the type of test is to apply throught the MTO for an exception.

The easiest way to mess with the testing is to test a dumby car that matches the description of the VIN.

Henry Ford
_JohnnyD_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
PedroBMW
Hooked on Boost

My experience with passing my turbo e36 has been like this:

STEP1) Get a Highflow cat (install it with vband flanges if you plan to remove it for "offroad use only") and tune your car to legit pass (this isn't hard, whether you have a chip tune or a standalone, there's no reason your car shouldn't be running closed loop stoich at these test points, if your car is running shitty just fix it now).

STEP2) Go into the e-test and pretend like you have no idea there is a single engine mod on the car (pretend your an old lady coming in with her toyota corolla). The tech won't ask any questions and he'll just run it, since you have a cat and a good running engine/tune, you'll pass without issue and go home smiling.

All this is assuming your car is 1996 or older, with the new law the newer car will have to plug into the OBD2 port, and at that point all sins will be revealed.

http://www.foldingtrailers.ca
PedroBMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:53 AM   #10
325isdan
5th Gear Member

Hot Rod status

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...ive-clean-test
325isdan is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: