Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 02-05-2014, 11:19 PM   #1
rickyshucks
1st Gear Newbie

1998 E36 - Yellow Oil Cap Gunk

Hi guys, some are probably familiar with this problem as I've noticed its a common occurrence through web search. Im looking at a 1998 e36 328i and its got yellowish gunk under the oil cap. Should I be concerned?
rickyshucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 11:29 AM   #2
knightowl
2nd Gear Member

may or may not be a headgasket issue. this issue is due to the fact that whoever drives this car, doesn't warm it up completely before pushing the car or go on the hwy etc.
knightowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
BMW_TECH_24
ON THE GERMAN PIPE

Sign of moisture most likely from condensation as per previous post of not being warmed up or as a result of short drives, check the plastic hose that connects to the valve cover right by the oil cap, most likely filled with same peanut butter looking gunk, and if not taken care of can cause issues
BMW_TECH_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 02:11 PM   #4
rickyshucks
1st Gear Newbie

I'm looking at a 98 328i premium paackage. Interior is great and car drove excellent on the highway. Other than that, only thing that turned me off was the gunk.
rickyshucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 04:22 PM   #5
Nguyen_E30
0011 0001 1000

check the dipstick for the same yellow gunk. if you see the same gunky yellow oil on the dipstick, the headgasket is probably gone. but if its just on the cap, its most likely just condensation.
Nguyen_E30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #6
BmW1819
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TECH_24 View Post
Sign of moisture most likely from condensation as per previous post of not being warmed up or as a result of short drives, check the plastic hose that connects to the valve cover right by the oil cap, most likely filled with same peanut butter looking gunk, and if not taken care of can cause issues
What tech 24 said needs to be driven longer run a flush and might as well change ccv valve and hoses and clean up the oil dipstick might start blocking up due to the sludge than thats were the damage happens ;-)
BmW1819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:08 PM   #7
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

I see it on all models and years of bimmers daily. Usually due to short trips, moisture and unfrequent oil services. As mentioned a good flush is needed but also check your ccv pipe and I bet that system would need replacing as well.

Not a reason not to buy the car tbh, if true a large majority of bimmers would never be resold lol

Just a matter of repair costs.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:10 PM   #8
dbworld4k
Addict

It wouldn't stop me from buying it. My 330Ci did this a few times. My father's 330Ci did this a LOT more. He drove super-short distances and never drove it hard. I drove the snot out of mine. I used to take his car around the block while beating on it and it cleared it right up. If the car drives perfectly fine, I'd say it could even be a sign it was driven too gingerly and only over short distances.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 11:52 AM   #9
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

yup thats generally normal (especially in winter) For cars that have not gotten up to proper temp(From short drives)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: