Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-27-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
sirex
King Sirex

ski/boarding resorts?

trying to plan trip for late february.

right now im just looking on costcos website for those cheap-ass lift passes.

Tremblant
Killington
Smugglers Notch

Seem to be the only good offerings. I've been to Tremblant, but trying to figure out if anyones been to the other two, or can recommend any other good resorts within driving range of toronto, 6-8 hour commute.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Jay peak, lake placid. Both are excellent, pricey and stretching the time frame, but definitely worth it. Tremblant is a joke compared to them.
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
M34LIFE
2nd Gear Member

hey,

I'm heading out to Vermont end of February. I thought about Tremblant as well, but decide to make the extra 3 hour drive or so down to Vermont ! just looking at deals lately if its worth driving down or busing down.

let me know if you come by any deals !

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirex View Post
trying to plan trip for late february.

right now im just looking on costcos website for those cheap-ass lift passes.

Tremblant
Killington
Smugglers Notch

Seem to be the only good offerings. I've been to Tremblant, but trying to figure out if anyones been to the other two, or can recommend any other good resorts within driving range of toronto, 6-8 hour commute.
M34LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

I'm from Boston, so I've been to many of the mountains in Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine. I'd say that Killington attracts many of the best skiers from that area. Its forte is difficult groomed trails, but their trail map shows lots more glades and terrain parks than I remember. Last time I went there was 2006-ish. At that time, the crowds there were probably 80% skiers/20% boarders, while other mountains were closer to 50/50.
Old 01-28-2014, 11:42 AM   #5
Sea Aych
2nd Gear Member

Head up to le massif if that's in your range.

Sent from my SGH-I757M using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 05:54 PM   #6
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Jay peak, lake placid. Both are excellent, pricey and stretching the time frame, but definitely worth it. Tremblant is a joke compared to them.
where did you stay in placid? Im favouring placid right now because it seems to be the closes, 650 km or so and welll it's probably going to be amazing - they did host the olympics after all.

so far Im looking at kitchenette units because were going to go for 3 nights and honestly cant be bothered to go out every day for break - lunch - dinner (also want to save cash).

any good hotels in the area that u stayed at and can recommend. thanks.
Old 01-29-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
sb_600
5th Gear Member

We go to Jay peak every year - it's awesome! HIGHLY recommended.

This year we're doing a 3-day trip to Smuggler's Notch at the end of February. haven't been there in several years

Le Massif is also awesome, but it's really far from Toronto.
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:38 PM   #8
sirex
King Sirex

any place you can recommend to stay at Jay Peak?
Old 01-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #9
sb_600
5th Gear Member

Book through the resort. They have tons of lodging on/close to the hill. They also have an indoor waterpark which is actually pretty awesome as well
1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:43 AM   #10
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
Been to the Blue Mountain last weekend, and my friends said it's only good for someone that wants to learn how to ski.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 09:46 AM   #11
lvan
6th Gear Member

Btw I am thinking of buying the skies and what not. What skies should I buy as a beginner. How would I do with $1000 for skies and boots?
Old 02-07-2014, 11:18 PM   #12
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
Btw I am thinking of buying the skies and what not. What skies should I buy as a beginner. How would I do with $1000 for skies and boots?
around this time of year you should be able to find something way cheaper. i bought a brand new pair of skis for around $400 with bindings.

u should be able to get some decent boots for around $150 as well.

$1,000 for a beginner, way to much... id even say just rent till u learn and when u consider yourself intermediate then move up and buy a pair.
Old 02-09-2014, 06:58 AM   #13
lvan
6th Gear Member

^ Sounds very reasonable. Btw is it worth paying more by going to skiies ad bikes to get my boots eventually? They have some insane prices on the boots, but they garranty the best fit and what not. I looked for a bit, and their boots go for $400plus. On ther other hand, sportcheck has much better deals and they measure your foot I think.... The boots are very important...
Old 02-09-2014, 11:41 AM   #14
sirex
King Sirex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvan View Post
^ Sounds very reasonable. Btw is it worth paying more by going to skiies ad bikes to get my boots eventually? They have some insane prices on the boots, but they garranty the best fit and what not. I looked for a bit, and their boots go for $400plus. On ther other hand, sportcheck has much better deals and they measure your foot I think.... The boots are very important...
Honestly, like most sports, they are going to have the really really cheap stuff, the mid grade stuff and the elite stuff. I really think that you should be able to get skiis, boots, bindings for around $500, and that would set you up with a good intermediate pair. I would even suggest that if you can find stuff for less, go for it.

When I bought my first skiis 10 years ago, I picked up a pair of dynastar for around $120, used, with bindings. I bought a pair of boots, brand new from the brand lange.. The boots were around $120 brand new... good sale at the time.. Those skiis + boots lasted me 10 years of going around 3-5 times per year.

Even today, the skiis and boots are still good. I still use the boots to be honest and considered upgrading but Im still comfortable in them.

Only recently i bought a new pair of skiis from sporting life.. and I did it because a) I had money to waste and b) I wanted to go to something intermediate. So I got my self a pair of rossingnol for around $400 from sportcheck with bindings when they were on sale. The difference between these skiis and the past, is that a) they are much firmer because i specifically picked them out for Ontario skiing.

You really cant go wrong because the level of skiing you will be doing in Ontario, it really doesn't matter what you pick up.. Just make sure you dont buy skiis made for powder or you will have problems with grip on the machine-shit/ice.

At the end of the day, pick boots that you will be comfrotable in and I know you can do it for less than $300, easy. I would really keep an eye on Sportcheck and Sporting life They have good selection and good sales. Specially sportcheck.. When reading reviews, I found sportcheks equipment was always a bit different - they seem to have some brands/items/skus just for sportcheck and its hard to read reviews online. While sportinglife carries the big names/brands and big sku numbers so it's very very easy to find quality reviews online.

I never checked skiis and bikes, I think I just looked at their online store and the price point versus sportinglife was the same more or less.

Make sure you do your research, check up the reviews, and check to see what the going price is online.

My regret is I bought new skiis and only used them 2 times last year and I probably won't make it out this year as my weekends have been packed. I might make it out in march, hopefully there be snow left.

So, I guess that's one other thing... If you plan on skiing for the next while maybe 2-5 times per year I think an intermediate pair will last you a long time and you wont out grow them/out skill them....

Last edited by sirex; 02-09-2014 at 11:47 AM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 05:02 PM   #15
lvan
6th Gear Member

Wow. That was a pretty long write up. Yeah I know what you mean when you buy something and don't use it. That's why I only go into sport that I am really going to like, and have the time to justify it. Thanks for detailed write up.

Cheers!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: