Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:19 PM   #1
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Door lock problems, looking for ideas

Posted this over on e46fanatics as well, but hoping to see if I can get some replies here if someone within Canada knows of a service to help with this or do repair.

Here are my troubles, and I am trying to figure out is my problem the GM5, key fob (don't think so) or even the FZV amplifier.

Basically since I've owned the car for 2+ years never had issues with anything key related. Go back about 2months ago and I was seeing intermitted functionality of my key fob remotely unlocking/locking my car.

The key works fine in the door itself when I turn it to unlock/lock the car. At the time the fob itself was intermitted and would work some times and some times not. At this point currently the FOB does not work at all anymore on the unlocking/locking remotely. When I try to re-initialize the keys to the car I simply get no response from the vehicle locks.

I also tried my second key which worked before, but as this happened started working intermittently as well and now has no response from the cars locks either. Also when the unlock/lock functionality stopped functioning on the key fob the same symptoms was across all 4 doors, if 1 wouldn't unlock/lock neither would the other 3.

Fast forward to yesterday, I get to the car put the key in the door lock, turn to unlock - the drivers door unlocks as normal. I turn for a second time to get other doors unlocked - the doors don't unlock. I get in push the central lock button - no the other 3 doors still don't unlock. I opened them by pulling the interior door handle to pop the plunger.

Since this incident yesterday, my central lock button always worked so this was the first time I encountered this issue.

Basically I am looking to hear from you gurus what my issue or might be, at first I thought it could have been the FZV amplifier but since yesterdays I am unsure anymore. Looking for some advice on what I can do to figure out this issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.
jeepo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 01:47 AM   #2
jabela
4th Gear Member

Have you ever changed the batteries in your key fobs? It sure sounds like your battery died. Intermittent loss, followed by complete loss.
Mine died recently as well. You need this battery to replace it.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=230944967379

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 06:47 AM   #3
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

If you have access to INPA, it can show you what signals the car is receiving and what outputs it is sending out.

When I had an issue with my locks, the central button started acting up as well. If there are signals being sent and not received correctly, the computer seems to get confused and fussy.

I'd try the batteries first.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:58 AM   #4
Lercs
2nd Gear Member

I had a similar problem with my car and I changed the battery in the FOB and everything went back to normal.
Lercs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2014, 12:56 PM   #5
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapthrills View Post
If you have access to INPA, it can show you what signals the car is receiving and what outputs it is sending out.

When I had an issue with my locks, the central button started acting up as well. If there are signals being sent and not received correctly, the computer seems to get confused and fussy.

I'd try the batteries first.
I've changed the battery in this key ~2 years ago.. don't think it could be bad already?

I do have INPA, do you mind telling me where exactly this is located to see this? I know I can read the errors contained in the GM, but how exactly is can one read the outputs it's sending and what your referring to.

Thanks in advance!
Old 01-22-2014, 07:42 AM   #6
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Here's how I'd go about looking for the problem:

F3 (E46)>Choose Body>Central Body Electronics

Brings you to here:

First check your error memory, and see what it says. I don't have any pictures, but it's just Error Memory>Read Error Memory. I believe a bad relay in the GM5 will show up as an error here.

Then you can go to Read Status

Start by checking Remote control lock system.

Note that the key won't send signals when it is in the ignition. Take it out, and make sure that the signal from each button is seen.

Get back to Read Status, then check Inputs>Contact

Open and close your doors, and make sure the signals are all being seen correctly. If your car thinks a door is open, the locks will be upset.

Back up to the Inputs menu, and check Inputs>Central Locking

Push the center button, and make sure the signal shows up. The top three dots are the signals from the key-in-door and key-in-trunk switches.

Go back to Read Status, and check Outputs>Central Locking

If your actuators are getting a signal and not moving, then it is probably a bad actuator.

If everything tests fine, but things are out of sync, I've had luck by going to Error Memory>CL-circle buffer and cycling the locks. I honestly don't know exactly what's going on with this mode. It appears to just log what's happening, but I haven't decoded all the acronyms.
Old 01-22-2014, 08:44 AM   #7
jabela
4th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
I've changed the battery in this key ~2 years ago.. don't think it could be bad already?

I do have INPA, do you mind telling me where exactly this is located to see this? I know I can read the errors contained in the GM, but how exactly is can one read the outputs it's sending and what your referring to.

Thanks in advance!
Hmm... bad batteries maybe? Does it better when locking the car when you get out? If so, that could suggest battery, as it would have been charged while in the ignition. I found this to be true when my battery was dying.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #8
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

^ Wow what do I say.. Thanks a bunch man!!!

I'll take a look at this on saturday due for having big storm hitting us here in the next 2 days and the weather is just too cold.

I didn't even know these settings/features existed in INPA, this is wicked. However I am a bit curious if this will show any presses from the fobs as 1) my fobs don't seem to do anything to the doors & 2) I can't get the fobs to initialize on the car.

But this is certainly the right track to go down, will take a look at this on the weekend and post back results. Thanks again bud

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabela View Post
Hmm... bad batteries maybe? Does it better when locking the car when you get out? If so, that could suggest battery, as it would have been charged while in the ignition. I found this to be true when my battery was dying.
No it doesn't work at all.

Last edited by jeepo23; 01-22-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:39 AM   #9
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepo23 View Post
However I am a bit curious if this will show any presses from the fobs as 1) my fobs don't seem to do anything to the doors & 2) I can't get the fobs to initialize on the car.
This black dots for "Remote Control Button x Pressed" will light up when you press the lock, unlock, and trunk release buttons if the system sees the signal.

I've never done fob initialization, so I can't help there.

Quote:
Start by checking Remote control lock system.

Note that the key won't send signals when it is in the ignition. Take it out, and make sure that the signal from each button is seen.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
This black dots for "Remote Control Button x Pressed" will light up when you press the lock, unlock, and trunk release buttons if the system sees the signal.

I've never done fob initialization, so I can't help there.
Thanks for your help! However, you said the key cannot be in the ignition to do this.. Does the car not require to be running when connected with INPA? Or are you saying to start the car and then pull the key out while it's running?

What I mean by initialization of the key is when you program it to to lock/unlock doors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aje2eoDg5v8
Old 01-23-2014, 06:47 AM   #11
cheapthrills
2nd Gear Member

When starting INPA and accessing modules, key needs to be on, and the engine does not need to be running. It will error out if you leave the key out for too long, or try to switch screens with the key out. I'll pull up that screen, take the key out and press the buttons, then put the key back in and put it to on before touching anything else on the computer.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #12
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Well hooked the car up to it basically everything seems to check out except the fact that INPA doesn't seem to be getting the signals from the key presses themselves. I've tried 2 keys.

On the Inputs Remote Lock System screen, clicking the key fob buttons does nothing, however I tried to see if i can get the key to init and when I pull it out of the ignition put it in and pull it out within 5 seconds the bottom radio button ticks off basically putting the car in init mode if I wanted to program the key but it doesn't respond to the presses.

I tested the doors and all get detected by the door contacts, also checked the central lock button and that works. Also tried the key in the door and locking it and saw it light up the bubble in INPA.

What do you mean by your last screenshot - to go into Error - CL circle buffer. How do you cycle the locks on that screen? Or do you mean manually?

I did find in the GM5 module error code readout it threw the error

2 Central Locking system : fuse
sporadic error
frequency: 2

I checked the 3 fuse #'s 49, 52 and 60 and all appeared fine and I cleared the code.

Last edited by jeepo23; 01-25-2014 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
AutoWerkez
2nd Gear Member

It's sort of strange to see a gm5 acting up in winter temperatures, usually you tend to see them act up in the summer months when you car sits outside for a long time under the sun.

A wise mechanic once told me, "working on cars is like sex, you have to know where to touch and how to push."

Follow Me on Instagram @_instashift !
AutoWerkez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #14
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoWerkez View Post
It's sort of strange to see a gm5 acting up in winter temperatures, usually you tend to see them act up in the summer months when you car sits outside for a long time under the sun.
Yea I don't know what's going on with my stuff. I was supposed to get a chance to test my keys yesterday on another e46 to see if I can get it initialized to that car and just ensure that in fact the keys do work but it fell through so that might have to wait a week or so. I'd also find it very odd that both my keys would die/not work at the same time.

Not sure what my next course of action will be, I believe I am going to pop the interior light in the rear c-pillar and check the FZV amplifier for voltage and if it's getting key presses I did find a guide to that online.

You guys aware of anyone that does GM5 repair in Canada?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:45 PM   #15
jeepo23
1st Gear Newbie

Just an update to this.
I managed to get my hands on another E46. Basically my keys wouldn't pair to that either.. so that then made me believe its my keys... Felt a bit relieved thought it might be the bateries..

So I went home, picked up a C2025 battery from the store, came home opened up KEY A (this one won't start the key, remote functionality used to work) and voila.. the car unlocked remotely. So I figured must be the battery in KEY B also..

So I opened KEY B up and no luck there.. wasn't able to get it to work. So gotta be something in the key. Does anyone know someone that repairs these in Canada? I know fo the gm5repair website way out in California but was hoping to find something more domestic lol..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: