Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-12-2014, 01:21 PM   #1
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

It's that awkward time again when the veil of silence settles.

Lets breathe some life into this section. What is new with everybody?

Anyone have a story to tell? an axe to grind? A plan to reveal?

Yamahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 02:42 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Sure. Mine's stored for the winter, hoping to get the rust repaired in the jack points and swap in an M60 next summer. The vert's doing okay, troubleshooting some gremlins and trying to find a late-model undertray (got an early-model one, but doesn't fit).
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 04:04 PM   #3
Farintosh
2nd Gear Member

Here's an update on my car! Coils, Type-A's, smilies and more! Currently looking for a late model lower valance before I do anything else. On a side not this second shot of my car was voted into the r3v 2014 calendar! So that's me, can't wait to get back out in the spring.

Farintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:47 PM   #4
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Ooooh, just ordering a lot of stuff. Got a bunch of stuff in the other day and did a few things out in the garage because it was somewhat warm.

Installed these things:
-Corbeau Forza seat
-harness bar
-G-Force 5-pt harness
-NRG short hub and Gen 2 quick release
-Sportline Comfort 350mm steering wheel
-new alternator (Rock Auto is blowing them out. $95 shipped, no core).

Waiting for warmer weather to do:
-Massive 280mm brake kit
-IE Positive lock camber and toe correction
-new rtabs
-new gas tank
-swapping out right front right strut assembly
...and a rebuild of my e-brake.

On the fence about an AKG DTM shifter but they're backordered.

Just for fun, here's a pic a friend of mine took of my shit heap sometime in the summer:

Old 01-12-2014, 08:20 PM   #5
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
Sure. Mine's stored for the winter, hoping to get the rust repaired in the jack points and swap in an M60 next summer. The vert's doing okay, troubleshooting some gremlins and trying to find a late-model undertray (got an early-model one, but doesn't fit).
Right on! M60 is a righteous swap indeed
Old 01-12-2014, 08:24 PM   #6
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farintosh View Post
Here's an update on my car! Coils, Type-A's, smilies and more! Currently looking for a late model lower valance before I do anything else. On a side not this second shot of my car was voted into the r3v 2014 calendar! So that's me, can't wait to get back out in the spring.
Neat looking early model, how do those borbets feel? What suspension did you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatose View Post
Ooooh, just ordering a lot of stuff. Got a bunch of stuff in the other day and did a few things out in the garage because it was somewhat warm.

Installed these things:
-Corbeau Forza seat
-harness bar
-G-Force 5-pt harness
-NRG short hub and Gen 2 quick release
-Sportline Comfort 350mm steering wheel
-new alternator (Rock Auto is blowing them out. $95 shipped, no core).

Waiting for warmer weather to do:
-Massive 280mm brake kit
-IE Positive lock camber and toe correction
-new rtabs
-new gas tank
-swapping out right front right strut assembly
...and a rebuild of my e-brake.

On the fence about an AKG DTM shifter but they're backordered.

Just for fun, here's a pic a friend of mine took of my shit heap sometime in the summer:
Sweet, how did you set up the harness mounting?
Old 01-12-2014, 09:54 PM   #7
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

I figure we're almost nearly getting closer to practically halfway through the non-E30 season. I put'er away mid-November, beginning of April should be start-up time, right?
Car's sleeping, but today I pumped up the tires and rolled it forward a couple of feet to prevent flat spots. Checked around, no mice in the upholstery or wiring. Put some more penetrating oil on the parts I'll be unbolting come spring.

Getting a parts list together for shocks and tierods and stuff, but the dollar goes lower every time I add an item.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 10:11 PM   #8
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
Sweet, how did you set up the harness mounting?
The Corbeau bracket (double locker) has spots on the side to mount the lap belts and I welded a sub bar to the bracket under the seat. Just some square tubing that put the sub strap at the right angle. The right way is to apparently drill through the floor and use some reinforcement plates, but that seems kinda sketchy in comparison to my setup as far as strength goes. The shoulder harnesses are obviously hung from the harness bar.

I'll take some photos when I'm home and have sufficient light in the garage.
Old 01-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #9
Farintosh
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Neat looking early model, how do those borbets feel? What suspension did you do?
Thanks man. On JOM vert specific coilovers and they've been great so far. As far as the borbets I got them on after I took the car off the road. Also swapped to manual so I haven't really had a chance to get used to the car. Waiting to get back on the roads and get comfortable with the current setup before I do anything else.
Farintosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 05:33 AM   #10
st4chu
1st Gear Newbie

I am thinking to swap v12 in m62 is easier but I like to have challenge even if it takes me a year to do so

st4chu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #11
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Only thing on the to do list for the E30 is finish ITBs... and now that it's not -***C outside I can start working in the garage again.

Mean while I'm also starting to collect some parts for the E21.
Old 01-13-2014, 03:27 PM   #12
Deetow
2nd Gear Member

I'm thinking of getting out of the E30 game...
Deetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 PM   #13
Yamahammer
Warlock of the century

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDad View Post
I figure we're almost nearly getting closer to practically halfway through the non-E30 season. I put'er away mid-November, beginning of April should be start-up time, right?
Car's sleeping, but today I pumped up the tires and rolled it forward a couple of feet to prevent flat spots. Checked around, no mice in the upholstery or wiring. Put some more penetrating oil on the parts I'll be unbolting come spring.

Getting a parts list together for shocks and tierods and stuff, but the dollar goes lower every time I add an item.
She is getting there, I'm feeling a change in the weather already. Im going to get my miami wear out soon and make sure I'm still looking fly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmatose View Post
The Corbeau bracket (double locker) has spots on the side to mount the lap belts and I welded a sub bar to the bracket under the seat. Just some square tubing that put the sub strap at the right angle. The right way is to apparently drill through the floor and use some reinforcement plates, but that seems kinda sketchy in comparison to my setup as far as strength goes. The shoulder harnesses are obviously hung from the harness bar.

I'll take some photos when I'm home and have sufficient light in the garage.
Okay yeah. Just an FYI some track inspects may not allow you with that setup. I know your way of mounting to the seat bracket seems tough, but the idea is you don't want the harness attached to the seat. When the seat tears out of the car you want the harness still holding it all down so you don't just eject the car strapped to the seat. But it is what it is. I have yet to have any tech even look at my safety gear at the track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farintosh View Post
Thanks man. On JOM vert specific coilovers and they've been great so far. As far as the borbets I got them on after I took the car off the road. Also swapped to manual so I haven't really had a chance to get used to the car. Waiting to get back on the roads and get comfortable with the current setup before I do anything else.
Right on! Feels so good to get the autotragic out of there eh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4chu View Post
I am thinking to swap v12 in m62 is easier but I like to have challenge even if it takes me a year to do so
Nice collection you got going there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Ride View Post
Only thing on the to do list for the E30 is finish ITBs... and now that it's not -***C outside I can start working in the garage again.

Mean while I'm also starting to collect some parts for the E21.
Amen to that, Im probably going to get arthrtitis from spending so much time in a freezing garage. Is there any progress on the ITB? havent seen the thread in a while.

BTW us and the other local e30 hooligans should go for food soon and shoot the breeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetow View Post
I'm thinking of getting out of the E30 game...
Why would you do that? Buy an MR2 and i'll accept it.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #14
aviator
3rd Gear Member

E30 should be driven all year long... just Krown and go...

thinking of getting out of then game? what have you got? I'm looking to get in the game..
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 AM   #15
karmatose
164.3ci Of Fury

Quote:
Okay yeah. Just an FYI some track inspects may not allow you with that setup. I know your way of mounting to the seat bracket seems tough, but the idea is you don't want the harness attached to the seat. When the seat tears out of the car you want the harness still holding it all down so you don't just eject the car strapped to the seat. But it is what it is. I have yet to have any tech even look at my safety gear at the track
Yeah, I get that. There were other reasons for me to go the route I did like not having to figure out a way to get rid of the rear heating duct. But my thought was the same kind of places that aren't going to allow me to run because of the way I've setup my sub strap aren't going to let me run because I don't have an FIA approved seat or use a harness bar instead of a roll bar or full cage (because it just wasn't in the budget this year) to anchor my shoulder straps or don't have the same amount of safety gear on the passenger side of the car as I do on the drivers side.

I know what I've done isn't 'right' and if push comes to shove at an event, I'll just swap the passenger seat to the driver side and throw the OEM seatbelt back in. It's only like a 15 minute job. Or just go back to the drawing board and drill some holes and finish gutting the car.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: