Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 01-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #1
Raps_Fan
1st Gear Newbie

Need help

Hey guys,

Recently I had a check engine light on and the car was having a hard time starting. My mechanic said it was an ignition coil problem so they were replaced. The car seemed fine afterwards.

Then a couple of weeks later, I started the car to warm it up. I come back to the car and the engine stopped. Check engine light on again. I turn the ignition again and it started okay. Check engine light gone. It seemed fine after.

A week later with no apparent problems I noticed that when I put the car in reverse from a parked position, I had to hit the gas pretty hard to move. I heard a loud thump as if something needed to release to get the car going. The car started to reverse. However, when I went to drive the car, it wasn't accelerating very much despite me hitting the gas hard and the rpms skyrocketing. It also seemed like alot of smoke was coming out of the exhaust. I then decided to park the car on the driveway and waited for the car to "warm-up". After several minutes, I tried reversing the car again and it seemed fine. I drove the car to a restaurant and back to the house. It did make the thumping noise again when I backed out of the restaurant.

I have no idea what this may be. Is the cold weather we've been getting in the GTA an issue for my '03 320i? Transmission problem? I'm not too mechanical savvy so I hope this isn't an obvious answer. I don't know either if this new problem is related to my earlier ignition coil issue.

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks!
Raps_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:33 PM   #2
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Valve body in the transmission is starting to go from my experience.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Hers--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Avus Blue/Grey/Black:. 1 of 8
Toys
'88 BMW 635CSi Blue/Tan Sport
'81 MB 500 SEC Euro Koenig
bmwm5lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
Raps_Fan
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm5lover View Post
Valve body in the transmission is starting to go from my experience.
Is this a costly repair? thanks for reply btw.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:45 PM   #4
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps_Fan View Post
Is this a costly repair? thanks for reply btw.
I had a wagon briefly that had the same issue, transmission would be fine when warm weather, or when car warmed up, and then it would hardly move no matter how much I pressed the gas pedal when dead cold (especially during the winter).

I was quoted about 15-2000$. It is recommended you replace some other stuff while in there to avoid future issues which obviously raised the bill.

What is your mileage? Probably closer to 200k or a lot of city driving.

His--'00 BMW ///M5 .:Jet BLK/BLK:. Individual-1 of 1 - Style 65 Wheels; 9.5" Square Set up;275 Tires;10mm/3mm Spacers; Black Kidneys;Muffler Delete; 3.5" Dual Tips; Beast Power; "Dinan" Ducts; E60 SSK; BC Coils
Toys
Old 01-02-2014, 04:52 PM   #5
Raps_Fan
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
I had a wagon briefly that had the same issue, transmission would be fine when warm weather, or when car warmed up, and then it would hardly move no matter how much I pressed the gas pedal when dead cold (especially during the winter).

I was quoted about 15-2000$. It is recommended you replace some other stuff while in there to avoid future issues which obviously raised the bill.

What is your mileage? Probably closer to 200k or a lot of city driving.
Mileage is over 193k. I drive it 5km to work and back for lunch and then back again to work again. when you say "replace some other stuff", what specifically do you mean? sorry again I am so not mechanically inclined.
Old 01-02-2014, 04:58 PM   #6
bmwm5lover
is BMW crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raps_Fan View Post
Mileage is over 193k. I drive it 5km to work and back for lunch and then back again to work again. when you say "replace some other stuff", what specifically do you mean? sorry again I am so not mechanically inclined.
Ya, those tranny are not very good at that mileage and with such short distance driving I am not surprised you are having issues.
It will need to be rebuilt. There are other internal components that need(should) to be replaced when the tranny is out of the car, otherwise you risk other components failing shortly after. I am not a trans mechanic so I don't know all the terminology for the parts, but there are many other components inside a transmission (especially BMW crappy ones) that fail.

Toys
Old 01-02-2014, 05:03 PM   #7
Raps_Fan
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Ya, those tranny are not very good at that mileage and with such short distance driving I am not surprised you are having issues.
It will need to be rebuilt. There are other internal components that need(should) to be replaced when the tranny is out of the car, otherwise you risk other components failing shortly after. I am not a trans mechanic so I don't know all the terminology for the parts, but there are many other components inside a transmission (especially BMW crappy ones) that fail.
Oh man. This does not sound good. I'll take it to my mechanic and see what the damage may be......Thanks for your help.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:36 PM   #8
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

I had a Mazda with a sticky parking brake, especially after sitting for a while. It would take some revs to "break loose", with an associated loud noise, and then sometimes drag for a bit. Rebuilt rear calipers fixed it.

This kind of matches what you're experiencing, maybe not quite. Are you setting the parking brake when you put it in park? Either way it might be worth asking your mechanic to check the brakes before spending the $$$ on a trans rebuild.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:10 PM   #9
Raps_Fan
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrsmitchell View Post
I had a Mazda with a sticky parking brake, especially after sitting for a while. It would take some revs to "break loose", with an associated loud noise, and then sometimes drag for a bit. Rebuilt rear calipers fixed it.

This kind of matches what you're experiencing, maybe not quite. Are you setting the parking brake when you put it in park? Either way it might be worth asking your mechanic to check the brakes before spending the $$$ on a trans rebuild.
My driveway is on a slope so I usually put the handbrake up. Interesting. Would the handbrake affect it? I will definitely have my mechanic check the brakes out for sure. I so don't want to be paying for a trans rebuild.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:53 PM   #10
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

The handbrake can be the problem, but at 190k km you can expect the 320i transmission to fail if fluid was never changed! VERY common problem. No easy fix, must get a rebuild, or low milage used one (very hard to find). In any case, get it checked by a GOOD reputable shop.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: