Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-26-2013, 03:17 PM   #1
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

Send a message via MSN to ProStreetDriver
Thinking of Becoming a Real Estate Agent... Help

So after finishing my schooling and working briefly in my career field, I'm stuck being unable to find work now. So I've been debating on the idea of going through for a real estate agent. Just trying to figure out the best route so I won't be stuck in the same situation again. The information varies online from what I've found to become an agent... It appears all the courses can be taken online which is convenient too, considering I have no idea if there is any in class schools in the London area.

1. I was reading online somewhere that the courses can be done in 14wks, is that true and would that mean I'm a licensed agent??? I would really like to fast track this.

2. I do have background in the construction industry. I have a diploma in architectural technology and degree in project/facility management. By the looks of it, some courses for the real estate program cover similar topics, so could I possibly be exempt from these programs???

3. Is there any guarantee I'll be hired as well??? There appears to be a time limit where a newly license agent must be signed under a broker.
ProStreetDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Axxe
Over 9 F**KING THOUSAND!!

The only guarantee in life is that there is no guarantee. Why can't you find work in your career path? Or branch out and do work for contractors remodeling houses (follow the money)?

S52|ZF|TRM Coilovers 670/895|Staggered 18" 5's
Axxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Whatever you end up doing, my advise is to work hard at it and be good at what you do. Like Axxe said, there are no guarantees in life, you just have to work hard and hope it pays off for you, even with hard work you still need some luck on your side.

My initial impression is that you are giving up on your chosen career a bit too quickly, but I don't know the full story, hence why it is just an impression.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

I haven't been working for about a year, applying for positions just over a year, sent out well over 200 resumes, and have only had two interviews. I'm hoping there shouldn't be a problem getting signed on as an agent once I've started the schooling. I've done residential work in the past, not interested. Cut-throat business...
Old 11-26-2013, 07:57 PM   #5
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
lol. if you're uncomfortable with cut throat businesses, stay far away from real estate or any other sales business.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
Fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black, ohlins, pazzo, cat delete, vance hines csone, YEC racing tune
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
EMPOWERD
Senior Moderator/Event-Coordinator

I did the OREA real estate courses to become an agent... the fastest you'll get through them (if you manage to get into all the courses in succession) is about 7 months. You can try and challenge the exams by reading the books, but I don't think they'll let you unless you take some sort of course. The failure rate is pretty high now that they restructured the whole curriculum and testing methods (all multiple choice vs. paragraph answers in the past). The license will cost you around $2400.00 for the 1st three courses, then you have to finish your articling studies once you're practicing. Brokerages all love hiring fresh meat, so don't worry about finding a job... it's up to you to find a brokerage that appeals to your style of business, marketing and commission cut.

IMO, if you want to get the same income (as a real estate agent) with 1/8 the work (studies included)... become a mortgage agent instead. 80% of the people out there need them, even if they're not buying a house (they renew every 3-5yrs)... easiest $4k income you'll ever make just spending a few hours in front of a computer screen shopping around for rates. That said, If anyone needs a mortgage, contact me... i'll guarantee the best rates!!

My YouTube video
-- RANDY SPARRE --
EMPOWERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #7
sirex
King Sirex

Oh man. Oh man.

In it for the easy money? Let me tell you, real estate agents are going to have a very very very tough time (and they already are) getting business and moving it along.

The issue is that everyone smelled the easy money, and now everyone is doing it. And, I don't want to be a dick to those of you who are real estate agents, but man on man, they are some of the most useless people I have ever met. But, I guess at the end of the day, they are just cut throat sales men.

OP, if you're ready to be a cut throat sales man, and network like a whore, then you've chosen the right career path.

But, honestly, don't take this the wrong way, but if you've only sent out 200 resumes in the course of the year, you need to re think your attitude. Getting a job, when you're unemployed should be YOUR FULL Time job. Unless you can tell me you worked towards getting a job 8 hours a day, every day for the last year, YOU DIDNT try hard enough.

Bro, I applied to 60 jobs in the span of the week when I was trying to move up internally in my company. Granted I was applying internally so I had a better chance, but honestly I always hear the same complaints from people - oh nothings happening.

You really go to make it happen yourself. You got to go and meet people..... If you only had 2 or 3 interviews from all of those resumes, HOW many coffee dates did you go too? How well did you try to network??? How many phone calls did you make????

If you are getting upset at me, or defensive by now, and thinking about a rebuttal, then you will FAIL as a real estate agent and you will be out $2400. I think being a Real Estate Agent should be a hobbie on the side once you actually get a full time job somewhere. Hell man, go work at Mcdonalds or something. I can't believe you killed a whole year without working? Like honestly what did you do, jerk off 3 times a day? Did yo at least do something other than your miniscule 200 resumes.

god dammmit god dammit man.. (((

Last edited by sirex; 11-27-2013 at 08:10 PM.
sirex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #8
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

I have had my license 13 years now and actually just renewed a further 2, don't do it.

Honestly the best agents (which btw you should not call yourself that) are either A)Cut throat snakes or B)Old and have far too much time.

If you are not a snake or ready to die, it isn't for you lol

I have my hands in many businesses and housing was one but not the only one.
Old 11-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #9
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

Thank you guys for the input, I really appreciate it!

OREA definitely makes it sound better than it truly is lol. Not to mention the costs they posted are only about 1g off. I've heard any new agents also have a very very hard time building up their clientele too.

It's been beyond frustrating trying to figure out which direction to go to. Most people that got their connections and current jobs in the similar field that I went to school with came from their coop positions. I went to school in Kitchener, so they catered to that area and the GTA. So I was forced to find things on my own which was hard but I managed. With finding employment in London, one needs those connections to get somewhere. Sarnia on the other hand, they're only hiring engineers or mechanical/electrical project managers. I'm not interested in just working anywhere either, it's one of those things I get stuck with for the rest of my life. Regardless of what level the position I'm looking at is, most employers want an average of 10 years experience. I do work part time, just on my own so it's not like I'm doing nothing and it may not be a high payout, but it's meant as a long term thing.

Just happened to have an interview this morning for a position in a different field. Wasn't sure what to expect, but decided to give it a chance and I've already been accepted for a second interview as well. Financial planner for Investor's Group and they supply all the training too. They actually contacted me first, I didn't even apply for the position. So this would involve life/health/auto insurance, stocks, asset transfers, mortgages, and a few other areas too. I'll see how this goes and it's 100% commission based too.
Old 11-27-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Avoid that scam hustling bs financial planner advisor under paid, over fee'd yada yada yada crap.

What you should do is go to college, chose a "real" career and avoid these types of sales jobs, they will make you miserable and most quit that financial planner seminar bs go screw your family crap within a year, realtor is 5 lol
Old 11-27-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
ProStreetDriver
The Real Transporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
Avoid that scam hustling bs financial planner advisor under paid, over fee'd yada yada yada crap.

What you should do is go to college, chose a "real" career and avoid these types of sales jobs, they will make you miserable and most quit that financial planner seminar bs go screw your family crap within a year, realtor is 5 lol
Yeah that's what I'm worried about too. They tell you what you want to hear, basically selling the job.

I've already been to college, did six years. I have both a diploma and degree in the same field so I knew what path I wanted. Both were originally four year programs each, but I used previous credits against my degree program and only had to complete the last two years. It's a deal they had between the two colleges. There is 30g tied up in my schooling lol and now I'm stuck in this position.
Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

My Dads been an agent since 1986.
All I can say is think real hard before you get into it.
Be prepared to work 7 days a week, 365 days a year, all hours of the day and night, and deal with all kinds of situations and peoples personal family issues !
You need to have a special character to put up with it, day in and day out.
There's many agents that make $50,000 a year gross (minus all your expenses) and kill themselves doing it. There's easier, less stressful ways of making that kind of money.

Get into car sales. Less stress, decent earnings, no expenses, much much less working hours.
The only BS you have to deal with is fighting for customers with your co workers... oh and job security is non existent. 1 day you are king, next you are fired.

Last edited by Robb; 11-27-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 11:57 PM   #13
lvan
6th Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to lvan
The amount of people I know doing the real estate, and looking at their situation, it is a hobby on a side at its best. (That's the way I see it.)Like these days every yoyo wants to be the real estate agent. How can that be a career? My advise for you would be, find some real estate agent, see how much they have invested, see how much work they have put in to it, and decide if it is worth for you. That's much effective than listening here people trying to talk you into not doing something where you may not succeed. I am willing to bet that you are not going to survive unless you have an other 9-5 job. If you think sending 200 resumes is a pain in the ass, oh boy, think how many people you have to drive around before you land your first sale. I would think twice before giving up on your career path.
lvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #14
328IScreamer
6th Gear Member

Those investors group financial planners are so annoying. They are always just hanging out trying to give you their buisness cards and asking you to come in for a "meeting"

That is another job where you will only do as well as the clientel you can build up. If you happen to have a hot girl in your office she will get all the clients lol. I've had a few buddies try this, it did not work out well for them. I've know people to get the financial planner job strait out of high school, there is no formal enducation required.

My advice is to stop looking for the easy way out or the quick money. Stick it out for what you weant to school for. Start at the bottom of a company if you have to and work your way up. Also, play it smart. When you have an interview send them a thank you email or call and ask to follow up. Have the mentality that no matter how hard you try there is someone else out there trying harder, that will keep you motivated to go the extra mile.
Old 11-28-2013, 12:10 PM   #15
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProStreetDriver View Post
I'm not interested in just working anywhere either, it's one of those things I get stuck with for the rest of my life.
I think this is likely the reason you haven't been hired in over a year. You need to change this attitude IMO.

Sometimes, unless you are lucky, top of your class or know someone, you have to start at the bottom and work your way up.

You are not 'stuck' for the rest of your life in the first job you take, assuming you put in the hard work and aren't a slacker. Working for 1 company your whole lifetime isn't something that happens as often anymore.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: