Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #1
sirex
King Sirex

used 335i's any good?

ive been looking at some used 335i awd on auto trader and they seem pretty cheap. like decent ones for under $25,000 - low kms, good year, fully loaded, etc.

are these decent deals, or are they traps? i though i had read something here about the turbos having problems, can anyone chime in?

i really like the idea of the AWD for all year round driving.
Old 09-04-2013, 08:46 AM   #2
Max_VQ
3rd Gear Member

I have always thought the 335 would be my next car. BUT the more I read about them, the more they don't seem to age well.

My neighbour has a 2008 535 (N54) with 90,000KM. The water pump failed and it was $1600 to repair. $600 for the pump (electric) and $1,000 in labour. (a lot needs to be removed to get at the pump)

Her BMW shop told her to sell it before the turbos go.

Last edited by Max_VQ; 09-04-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Max_VQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
canukgtp
2nd Gear Member

hmm we have an automatic 2011 N55 335xi and have had no issues at all with the car...a buddy of mine picked up a 6spd 2009 N54 335xi and hasn't had any issues either. Ours has been a fantastic car, ride is a little stiff because we have the M-Sport on it, but comfortable, great on long trips, fantastic in the corners and great power.
canukgtp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Jay22
Shadows.

I got mine used while it had about 5k remaining on the factory warranty. I bought the extended warranty from Coverage one, which covers pretty much everything till 140kms. If you get the 335i, get the additional warranty -and enjoy, cos once you drive the 335i, you wont want to go back to a 328 for sure.
Jay22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
JCunha
King of the road

Really only two expensive things that could go wrong with the n54 engine. Either the electric water pump or the turbos/wastegate faliure. If your somewhat hands on you should be able to tackle the majority of little things like spark plugs, coil packs and a few rubber gaskets. Any High pressure fuel pump issues should have been solved by now with the recalls. Cant comment on n55 engines.
JCunha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
KillerX
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_VQ View Post
I have always thought the 335 would be my next car. BUT the more I read about them, the more they don't seem to age well.

My neighbour has a 2008 535 (N54) with 90,000KM. The water pump failed and it was $1600 to repair. $600 for the pump (electric) and $1,000 in labour. (a lot needs to be removed to get at the pump)

Her BMW shop told her to sell it before the turbos go.
Electric water pump goes on all E90-E93 no matter what engine between as early as 60,000K (very rare) to 140,000 Km or later THIS IS FACT.

I have 106,000 kms and purchased a spare water pump and thermostat and have it in my trunk.

Another thing is the valve gasket. Again this varies from the same Km's above. (I'v seen a few done, your looking at 2 hours for a guy that has no clue what's going on, and the water pump your looking around the same.)

I'm not say the E90's are bad, its just the way it is.

As far as other issues with the 335, you pay to play. So when you have a high HP turbo'ed engine, things are going to go wrong.

Like JCunha advised, turbos/wastegate failure is big specific on the 335's. People are saying that the N55's are a bit better then the N54's but your looking at the same issue.

355's are suuuper fun!

Brad
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #7
ha9981
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerX View Post
I have 106,000 kms and purchased a spare water pump and thermostat and have it in my trunk.
You make it seem like its plug and play. You definitely save money shopping around and buying it from US so it is a good idea. But the labor is deadly, and rightly so. The work is pretty hard.

And yes, WP is same across all electronic ones in BMW. So if comparing non-turbo and turbo it shouldn't count.
ha9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 04:54 PM   #8
KillerX
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ha9981 View Post
You make it seem like its plug and play. You definitely save money shopping around and buying it from US so it is a good idea. But the labor is deadly, and rightly so. The work is pretty hard.

And yes, WP is same across all electronic ones in BMW. So if comparing non-turbo and turbo it shouldn't count.
Never once said its plug and play, but you think $1000 is a good price for the few hours of service?

Hey to each there own, either way, to the OP get a good indy shop and it shouldn't cost you half of that or if your good with tools there's several DIY out there, I don't know how good you are with a wrench.

I purchased 2 water pumps and thermostats from the states and it cost $475 each shipped (I had to pick it up from the states but I'm only 30 mins from the Port Huron border) for both of my BMW's

I cant understand how BMW dealerships can charge this much when I thought BMW Canada made it procedure that water pump jobs were a set price for every dealership. I'll look and get back to everyone.

Brad
KillerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:08 PM   #9
ha9981
1st Gear Newbie

I just meant that your statement may come off to people as being a simple job. But it is anything but simple. I did my water pump and thermostat for $350 self labor and realized should have gotten the deal at Maranello.

Job is possible but without a lift it is a nightmare. Now that I have done it once I would do it myself given it should be much easier second time. But if you have a full time job don't bother wasting your time. Anything under $1k installed is a good deal. Get parts from US and get quote from RMP. Will need a tow though.

All that said don't just walk into any dealer. Do your research or pay $1.6k
ha9981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
ProoerXI
1st Gear Newbie

08 335XI 6MT
I have had mine for 2 years now, and not a single issue. Cheap on insurance, great on gas (considering the power). Just don't follow BMW's 25k oil change cycle (I do mine every 7.5-10k)
my only complaint is the lack of room when trying to get quickie
ProoerXI is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: