Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 6/8 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
formula1nut
1st Gear Newbie

Buying an 850i Hints? Issues?

I am close to buying a 1991 850i. It is a southern car and has about 50000 miles on it.
Mileage has been verified and there are some service records.
Internet searches give really mixed results ranging from saying it is bulletproof, to never going near them for electrical problems.

I am on pension so don't want huge financial surprises.

What can I expect for a car with this mileage? Would you well qualified members buy it?

Thanks!
formula1nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #2
davericher20
black and blue

Hard to work on the engine, i havent heard much of electrical issues. Gorgeous cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:59 AM   #3
ZERO NERO
2nd Gear Member

Its a wonderfull choice however you need to have deep pockets and some DYI knolege otherwise this can and will get expensive fast , you are dealing with a 22 year old car so even tho kms are low all the gaskets , rubber hosses , bushings and upper and lower oil pan gaskets need to be looked after also these cars get often plagued by parasitic drainage witch could be verry chalenging to track it down also it uses 2 batteries that are in parralel connection if the charging state of one battery is lower than the other than both will go flat in a matter of hours or days , also getting parts could and will be challenging considering the age of this car and not a lot of cars are being parted out so they are kinda scarce and finally the fuel consumption might and will reach 22lt per 100kms !

On a possitive note this is a unique car and it was years ahead of its time and the feeling that it gives you cruizing down the highway no other car can give this feeling combined with the silky smooth v12 !

I am a proud owner of a E31 1991 850i j-spec and i would recomend this vehicle to anyone that is looking to own a piece of history and a thrill to drive a legend !
ZERO NERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #4
AdrianL
Live from 42,000'

They are brilliant, parts are expensive, they're not really that bad for maintenance, their reputation makes them out to sound far worse than they are... that said, they aren't cheap either. There's a good bunch of 8ers in the GTA, most are active at bimmerforums, you can search gt8 there to bring up the greater toronto 8's thread in the e31 subforum.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
dtthiaga
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula1nut View Post
I am close to buying a 1991 850i. It is a southern car and has about 50000 miles on it.
Mileage has been verified and there are some service records.
Internet searches give really mixed results ranging from saying it is bulletproof, to never going near them for electrical problems.

I am on pension so don't want huge financial surprises.

What can I expect for a car with this mileage? Would you well qualified members buy it?

Thanks!
Buy two of them. A driver and a parts car.
Joking aside, with the age and limited numbers, you have to admit, having a parts car would be nice.

Beautiful looking cars.
dtthiaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 10:39 PM   #6
jay01_brown
OBSERVE

speaking of parts cars.. i see see one parked in front of a mechanic shop everyday on my way to work.. queen and leslie area... looks to be abandoned and maybe for sale
jay01_brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 01:31 AM   #7
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

I would say the engine and tranny are one of the most reliable BMW has build, next to the M30 that is! The M70/72 were pretty bullitproof, and so is the 5HP30. Far more reliable than any V8 they have made, but they have electrical problems. Mostly with DME's (that end up burning the coil), and throttle bodies that are $2000 each new! Millage does not seem to affect them in any way, in the last few years i had 4 of them (in 750il's) from 120K to 300K+ and they all perform the same!

Like most older HIGH end BMW's, this is not something to do on a budget, unless you DIY, or at least do a lot of research and know people to work on it for a reasonable price. If you bring it to a random shop everytime something goes wrong, thing will get expensive FAST!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

Etobicoke location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: