Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Specific Regional Topics > Quebec/Gatineau/Ottawa
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 11-08-2013, 01:42 PM   #1
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

HORRID experience @ local Ottawa body shop *AVOID*

Hey folks,

I'll try to be as concise and clear as possible.

I purchased a Racing Dynamics front valance for my BMW e30 last winter.
It was used, but still in very good shape.
My intent was to have it striped, and repainted, and installed on my convertible.

I sat on this project for quite sometime, and I finally went out to a local auto body shop in town to get this completed.
I did research prior to this, and wanted to have a quality finish and install.

I head to the shop, and ask for a quote on the work.

I dealt with the owner, who, is "quirky" to say the least.

Tells me I'll need to leave the bumper with him so he can get his refinisher to have a look at it to know how much it would cost to strip before painting.

Convinces me to leave it there, so I don't need to reload it blablabla..

that was the last time I saw the bumper.

I waited *5 weeks* before I physically went to the shop in order to retrieve my bumper, after MANY failed attempts to get the estimate.
Everytime I spoke to him over the phone he told me "I have it somewhere, and I'll need to call you back, what's your name, number etc etc etc"

never ONCE called back.

I'm busy, and it's a bit out of the way, so I actually needed to schedule the time to go there in person.

Finally, I go there and ask him to get my bumper...

"what bumper?"

..."racing dynamics bumper, for a BMW...."

"oh, I sent it to montreal to get it refinished"

"I never authorized that, nor did you get permission...I only wanted a quote!"

"fine, I'll call them up and assure they don't do anything to it and send it back"

[as an aside, the gentleman(owner) I dealt with became EXTREMELY angry, started yelling at me, and calling me name, and flipping out after I was upset that I he sent it to Montreal without asking me...I became annoyed when he asked me my name and number, and I replied to him "you have my name and number the 10 times I've called you over the past 2 MONTHS"...
He continues to scream at me to the point where I feel threatened physically.

I'm 6'1 240, ex-bouncer and physically fit, and I can tell when somebody is about to do something stupid.
I back away from him telling him i'll return in 1 weeks time to retrieve what is mine.

week goes by, I return.

"I'm here to pickup my bumper"

it's not here.

"where is it?"

I don't know

ignores me

"Can I have my bumper please"

I told you I don't have it, it's lost

"what do you mean it's lost"

what don't you understand about the word lost?

just wow.

tells me the place he sent it to in Montreal lost it...

I ask him for reimbursement...he tells me it's not his fault, but the other companies.

I ask him isnt' that what insurance is for?

tells me it wasn't his company that lost it..

I ask for the company name, and he provides it to me along with a contact name.

I get in touch with the OTHER company, and the admit to losing it, and want to source a replacement.

I tell them, not gonna happen too hard to find.
Says they want to know it's value...hard to say as it's "collectable"

this was Monday, guy has been avoiding my calls all week.

what do I do????

(sorry for the novel, i'm really upset about this)
The Twin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #2
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

To clarify, this was the racing dynamics bumper I had for sale.

I marked it as "sold" which was easier than wailing out this diatribe.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
captain E34
Sliding Sideways

wow... what body shop did u go to?

1987 BMW 535i (Sold)
1988 BMW 535i (Turbo Build)
1990 BMW 520i (Turbo Build)
1991 BMW 520i (Beater)
1991 BMW 535i (Burnout Beast)
1994 BMW 540i (Scrap)
2009 BMW 335i (Daily Driver)
and more....

Old 11-08-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain E34 View Post
wow... what body shop did u go to?
I won't name it, but it's in Cumberland off Trim Rd.
Old 11-08-2013, 02:48 PM   #5
captain E34
Sliding Sideways

****en eh' well honestly id wait till he leaves work and teach him what he should alresdy know, ull get your money back

1987 BMW 535i (Sold)
1988 BMW 535i (Turbo Build)
1990 BMW 520i (Turbo Build)
1991 BMW 520i (Beater)
1991 BMW 535i (Burnout Beast)
1994 BMW 540i (Scrap)
2009 BMW 335i (Daily Driver)
and more....

Old 11-08-2013, 02:55 PM   #6
weew379
2nd Gear Member

WOW!!, sorry for your lost man, I swear to god if I ware you I will FLIP on him, you should say the name of that shop and post it everywhere, so people know what kinda of services they will get at that shot!!. He sent it to Montreal without getting any permission from you, so IT IS HIS FAULT 100%.and should be responsible of at least finding another one for you or give you money instead.
weew379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
weew379
2nd Gear Member

I know a shop , if you ever get your money or your part back I will give you the number , they are honest , fast and cheap. sorry for your lost man, I will keep my eye on for the same part, you will never know!
weew379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #8
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

The value is what you paid for it, unfortunately, but it sounds like the company in Montreal is more honourable than the shop in Cumberland, so try to work with them. An honourable shop will move heaven and earth to replace something they'd lost.

If you decide to pursue the Cumberland shop that did work you didn't authorize (that work being sending your property to a sub-contractor), is there any paperwork, request for quote, anything? Even emails?
If you've got anything then maybe small claims court. If not, then that's the end of that. If you publicize their names then there's a risk of getting sued, I think. There's a smaller risk in verbally warning others, many many others, of your troubles.

Strong as the temptation might be, don't be laying out beatings. Just not worth it.

The situation genuinely sucks.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

yep, and I've wanted to indeed publish the names.
It's not my intent to "slander" or ruin anybody's "good name" given my experience was not favourable.

the way this shop operates is very old fashioned...no emails, no real world new technology.

and for this reason, I made the mistake of trusting him/them.

one thing I think I should add, because I think we should have all details regarding this.

when he started tearing into me, yelling and throwing $hit around he mentioned his wife just passed away recently, and I should cut him some slack.

Prior to that comment, I was calmly asking him repeatedly as to "why did you send it out without my consent?" and "where is it", since he didn't even remember exactly where he sent it

he told me to just leave and get lost before verbally unleashing a fouled mouthed barrage of insults and names.

so I left.

I drove for about 45minutes just reeling over this, and turned around to go back to the shop.

I actually man'd up and went back inside to APOLOGIZE to him regarding our previous transaction in which I wasn't comfortable with, told him that I too have suffered traumatic loses in my life, and understand the tragic loss of losing a loved one.
I told him to take care of himself, and hope that he takes some time to himself, and I offered to shake hands.
He did.
I felt bad for him, I truly felt sorry...I still sort of do.

He wouldn't say anything to me, so again I left.

a week after that, I went back to retrieve my bumper and when he told me it's just "lost" not his problem basically is when I REALLY got pissed off.

I drained all my resources, and will need to proceed to small claims court regarding this.
I tried to submit a police report today, and they mentioned it's a civil matter and would need to be brought to court.

I need to find out exactly what the value of a Racing Dynamics bumper is.
I believe they haven't made these things for almost 20 years...it'd be tough to gauge that cost.

SubDad, unfortunately I have no paper trail from the body shop.
The only saving grace at this rate, is the shop that "lost" it actually took my call Monday, and said they'd resolve it...he did own up to losing it...however, I haven't been in touch with them since than.
no email, no paper trail.

this isn't looking good
Old 11-08-2013, 08:38 PM   #10
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

It sounds to me like you're doing and have done all the things that can reasonably be done. Nobody is going to come out of this happy.

Does the Montreal shop really know what they're looking for? Could it be that it's in a pile of other valences and it just needs you to go there, point, and say "That one!"
I mean, at the moment they looking for a valence that might have come in God knows how or when. Could be in their shop under their noses.

Yes, I believe in unicorns, too.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 11:26 PM   #11
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

This is NO way to run a business. We all have personal problems, but in no way should it reflect your work. If you are not capable of taking care of your job, take a vacation, relax, etc...don't take it out on customers!

I know how hard those old school kits can be to find, i just just spent a month looking for a replacement for my damaged E38 AC Shnitzer lip, only to spend $400+ for a POS replica, that i just want to put in the garbage right now!!!

If i was you, i'd go to Montreal and deal with the shop in person; to show them you are SERIOUS. Its one thing talking on the phone, its another when you "drop in". Ask them where it was last, who was working on it, any problems with employees steeling? Tell them you will call the police to report the theft! Things like this don't just go missing! I bet you the part in going on somebody's car...Because they think the can get away with it. If you make a lot of noise, things will happen. Don't let them do this.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2013, 01:20 AM   #12
buzzdmonkey
2nd Gear Member

thats just terrible work ethics. I would hate to be treated that way by someone whos offering me a service. As the customer you are the one putting money in his pocket, he should be more then happy to help you.

where i work, we work on fixing peoples computers. I know its not cars but still similar. Before any work is done of before their computer is in my hands I need to get them to sign a form with out terms and conditions. As well as their contact info , the stores contact info, the model and serial number of their computer and a description of the problem.

nothing is EVER done without the customers consent. Everything is on paper before anything is done not only to cover the customer but it covers the store as well.

Im no expert but without any proof of actually being at the shop there isnt much you can do. The only lead you have is the other shop, id say try to exchange e-mails with the other shop. The other shop should also have or at least try to keep record of all incoming items because they need a return address. but even at that who knows how many items have been sent out to that company from the shop in cumberland so if your name isnt anywhere, itll be difficult.

I really hope you get this sorted out. Theres a lot of things im pretty tolerant about but when it comes to my car and someone messes up...heads will roll
buzzdmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #13
The Twin
3rd Gear Member

I'm gonna give this another college try this week, except I'm heading in person instead of chasing phone calls to a guy that won't call me back. I'm getting to the bottom of this.

Stay tuned.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #14
dbworld4k
Addict

You've been far more patient than I would have. There would have been serious repercussions already served to the original shop, not exactly legal ones.

Imola Red / Imola Red ///M5
E60 SSK, Dice iPod, GT Exhaust
BCR Coilovers, 19x10 + 19x11 Rial Daytona Race, Michelin PSS

335i M-Sport Alpine White / Coral Red
H&R Sport, CF diffuser, BMW Performance SSK

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #15
Z4MC
3rd Gear Member

Unfortunately those actions will only relieve some tension, but will do nothing to recover a lost lip/valence. The legal system in this country will hurt more than a fist in the face. Sometimes I wish it was vice versa
Z4MC is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: