Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 5 series
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-06-2013, 12:36 PM   #1
Allyox
Allyox

2004 BMW 545i transmission problems

Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 2004 bmw 545i and I've had nothing but problems with it. On my way home one day my radio was on and I was driving the correct speed limit. All of a sudden the radio turned off by itself and my computer started to glitch out where it turned black. About 10 seconds after it came back on and I got a transmission malfunction, then an abs malfunction and then a flat tire monitor malfunction. I'm assuming this all happened since when my car tried to shift down from 2nd gear to 1st since there was such a huge jerk I experienced. Has this happened to anyone else? And what did you guys do to solve the problem?
Allyox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
Allyox
Allyox

I would also like to add I get notified in my car for high battery drain and coolant level low? Does anyone know why for this as well?
Old 10-06-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Allyox
Allyox

Also forgot to mention sometimes when it does those 3 malfunctions it will stop showing me my speed. It will go from the speed I'm driving at all the way to 0 and stay there until I pull over and restart the car. Help?
Old 10-06-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

I can solve all those issues from home with this one reply......but that would make magic a real thing and since that is not the case.

Visit a local shop that knows their bimmers or the dealer. The car needs to not just be scanned but visually inspected.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Alternator is bad. When voltage drops, you will get ALL the symptoms you described.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Allyox
Allyox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurostyle View Post
Alternator is bad. When voltage drops, you will get ALL the symptoms you described.
thank you. im gonna go get my alternator checked out now. hopefully it fixes all my problems.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #7
stoopid
1st Gear Newbie

Hey Allyox,

How did you make out with this problem? I am currently looking for a 545i or 550i and am looking for as much info as possible. Was it the alternator?

By the way, my wife had almost the exact same problem on her Infiniti M35x. Turned out to be a loose positive battery connector. It would work fine for a week, then the car would start bucking, all sort of lights would come on the dash and her computer/nav/stereo would reboot. Then it would work good for another couple of days.
A loose ground or connector could give you similar problems.

Cheers.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 01:37 PM   #8
heretic
2nd Gear Member

stoopid,

get the 550; there is a reason they only made the 545 for 2 years, leaking gaskets that requires the engine to be pulled and idrive issues; I was all set to get one and settled for an E39 M5 instead and have never regretted it.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
stoopid
1st Gear Newbie

LOL!! "Settled" for an E39 M5. You poor bastard, I don't know how you go on living!! LOL

I thought about an E39 M5, but the maintenance costs on the old 528i are fairly steep. It has to be worse on the M5. I hate putting this much money into an old car that isn't worth very much.
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #10
heretic
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
LOL!! "Settled" for an E39 M5. You poor bastard, I don't know how you go on living!! LOL

I thought about an E39 M5, but the maintenance costs on the old 528i are fairly steep. It has to be worse on the M5. I hate putting this much money into an old car that isn't worth very much.
Let's see. Buy oil filters online for $8 US, 5w30 castrol Syntec from Walmart in US for $26 and other than that I bought a used pair of headlight ballasts including lights for $150, new Michelin Pilot Sports for rear. Besides that I removed the entire nav and stereo and replaced it with a car computer. That is it for 1 years ownership and pure joy to drive. You just have to look for a previously non-abused vehicle. They are out there.
heretic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:41 PM   #11
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

We just had in a e39 M5 and in 3 years he has spent $10k in repairs and maint.

Is it because it is an M5, maybe but certain issues must be addressed, carbon build up is a $XXXX repair, bmw offers a quick cleaning of the port and new lines for $1800 but head removal is a must to do the job properly. Get enough km's on your M5 and you will spend real money.

Most V8 bmw's e39/e60 645's 545 540 550 etc have oil leaks and carbon build up, $5 gasket replacements cost $XXXX, carbon cleaning $XXXX. Price of ownership. As far as the "newer" 5's e60 for example, auto tranny issues like crazy, replace the mechatronics is a normal repair, again thousands.

A good bmw in terms of good design and lower repair costs, is the I6, period.
Old 12-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #12
cmyachtie
FDF545i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackedout95 View Post
We just had in a e39 M5 and in 3 years he has spent $10k in repairs and maint.

Is it because it is an M5, maybe but certain issues must be addressed, carbon build up is a $XXXX repair, bmw offers a quick cleaning of the port and new lines for $1800 but head removal is a must to do the job properly. Get enough km's on your M5 and you will spend real money.

Most V8 bmw's e39/e60 645's 545 540 550 etc have oil leaks and carbon build up, $5 gasket replacements cost $XXXX, carbon cleaning $XXXX. Price of ownership. As far as the "newer" 5's e60 for example, auto tranny issues like crazy, replace the mechatronics is a normal repair, again thousands.

A good bmw in terms of good design and lower repair costs, is the I6, period.
Hello all,
this is my 1st post here I think.... but on the carbon built up it is my belief (correct me if I am wrong pls) that with a lot of the v8's they are run too much at low RPM these cars are designed for the autobahns unfortunately here in NA they are all running NOT in that environment, my current 545 I have not driven for just over 1 year and all my BMW's have been 6's before that and having read alot about the carbon built up especially with the M5s, would suggest to all the V8's out there to say screw the gasmileage and step on it a bit more.
When I got this car she sputtered like crazy at idle and the SM at my local dealer who had serviced the car for 9 yrs with the PO suggested to drive the "snot" out of for a bit and see what happened........no more sputtering......LOL
drove it at 100km in 3rd gear at 4000rpm for over half an hour and it cleared up the cobwebs nicely......
These cars need to be driven aggressively IMHO....

2004 545i, adaptive xenons, adaptive steering, 74Kkms
1998 E39 528i 5spd man. with 340Kkms..when sold and still going
1986 E30 Msport with over 300Kkms sold
1998 328i in Munich for 3 yrs..sold.
cmyachtie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Blackedout95
5th Gear Member

Sounds plausible for other uses but when you have real carbon build up there is truly only one way to get rid of it completely, properly, pull the heads. Most opt for a cleaning which involves a tear down and use of a kit we have (out of California) and cleaning and blowing, cleaning and blowing, you should see the crap that comes out of these things, disgusting design, bmw just doesn't care, period! They'll charge you thousands to fix a supposed secondary air flow problem to eventually cave and bring up carbon build up, we see it, trust me, sad.

And no, sea foam is NOT an option.

The biggest concern with the e60's we see isn't the oil leaks or occasional build up we see but rather the huge repair costs associated with the trans, it gets to the point where your higher mileage e60 is barely worth as much as repairing or replacing the trans.

Last edited by Blackedout95; 12-29-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Blackedout95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:56 PM   #14
Allyox
Allyox

I went to go bring my car into a mechanic who was willing to do a diagnosis test on it! So far he couldn't figure out the problem and a lot of problems came up on the diagnosis test. I got my boyfriend and father to mess around with the battery cables one day because just recently the car has been dying in the middle of the road and when I try to boost it up again it takes at least 10 tries for it to restart and then I get a notification on my car saying "check battery terminals" ever since my boyfriend and dad messed around with the cables the "check engine: increased emissions" light has gone off and the only notifications I get are "coolant level low" "high battery drain" and "passenger restraint"! The car was working perfectly after and I had no transmission faults on the way home until just recently the computer screen would start to flicker on and off and luckily I was able to get home the moment I shut off my car and tried to restart it, it would not restart and I have to boost it again to get it working! After that had happened my car now sends off notifications such as "engine temperature too hot" and when I shut my car off and lock it the engine fans are still running in my car to cool it down. The will ultimately drain my battery now! If anyone has any idea what's going on with my car please let me know! And maybe could you quote me how much each part would be to fix it! I'm really disappointed with my purchase and I figured since it's a bmw that it would be a reliable car! Was I ever wrong! Let me know what I should do I could use all the advice I could get right now
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 PM   #15
cmyachtie
FDF545i

You say: A lot of problems came up....do you have any fault codes you can list here, that may help, also did you get the battery tested or replaced yet?
that would be my first guess. Also unless your mechanic is familiar with this vintage of BMW models go to dealer instead by the sound of your post your "mechanic" is in over his head here...........

Also have you ever verified the service records with the BMW dealer to make sure the battery cable recall fix was done on your vehicle?

2004 545i, adaptive xenons, adaptive steering, 74Kkms
1998 E39 528i 5spd man. with 340Kkms..when sold and still going
1986 E30 Msport with over 300Kkms sold
1998 328i in Munich for 3 yrs..sold.

Last edited by cmyachtie; 01-11-2014 at 02:13 PM.
cmyachtie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2004 545i, e60, problem, transmission

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: