Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Wheels&Tires
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
scott_88
wgn_drgn

Bimmian VMR wheels: disasterous experience, and need feedback

Hi all,

Canadian driver here. I contemplated putting this thread in the tires/wheels section but it's more of a general parts discussion for a vender. Mods feel free to move the thread

I'm looking for opinions or advice on my next steps. I purchased a set of VMR VB3 hypersilver 8.5x18 et 40 wheels for my 2007 530xiT back in the summer. It took a while for them to get delivered, but eventually after much hounding and very poor communication on Bimmians part, I received them. That was that.

In September, I had to get a VMR rim warrantied. It was a pretty strange circumstance where the rim just sorta broke (not a crack, but more of a major fracture) after hitting SOMETHING. To this day I still don't know if/what I ran over. I was reluctant to call Bimmian because I know in the past they have always messed something up. For instance, on that order alone, they charged my customs on a supposedly customs-free item (rectified post-hoc), and a huge lack of communication regarding delays in shipping my wheels (took 1-2 months). The short of it is that Bimmian graciously agreed to warranty the wheel. For this I was quite appreciative. I just hoped everything would go smoothly. I was wrong.

Keep in mind that generally, Bimmian will NOT return calls, but will respond to messages q2 days usually. THroughout this whole ordeal, it was me constantly calling and chasing them around, since they would rarely fulfill their agreement and "call me by the end of the day", or "I meant to call you....it was on my list of things to do".

In the first week of September they agreed to warranty it, stating this is an extenuating circumstance and they will make it a priority to get me a wheel. In the meantime, I rode on my brand new winter tires and rims =(. The first week was a pain. I dealt directly with Mr. Steve Ghulab (sp?). Eventually he said he dealt directly with VMR president, who agreed to send me a wheel. Given that the circumstances, I expected quick shipping instead of going through their usual USA - Buffalo - Toronto - delivery routes. Weeks went by. I checked in once or twice a week for updates, to which the answer was either "I'll let you know by the end of the day", or "I'll let you know when I know". I had no solid concrete evidence that my rim was in fact shipped. Five or six weeks later, I again phoned in on a Monday, and was told that he meant to call me the week prior to say the wheel was in the Buffalo warehouse and should get to me that week. I called in a week later, only to receive more frustrating news: My wheel was not in the shipment to Buffalo. I was then told that he made arrangements days prior with VMR to ship the wheel rushed directly to my home. He had known this news for some time but didn't get aroudn to calling me. I have requested the shipping details to ensure there is indeed a real honest-to-goodness circular metal object in transit somewhere with my name on it, but I have yet to hear back. I will try again tomorrow.

At this point I am very frustrated. I sort of knew this would happen, but figured I'd give it another chance given that it was a warrantied item. Right now, I don't care if I do get the wheel or not. If I could just had a concrete yes or no whether it is on it's way, I would be a happy man. I have probably ruined a good portion of my winter tires after driving on 'em for going on seven weeks now. I am completely willing to pay the additional money out of pocket through another company (eg. SimplyTire in Toronto) as I was at the beginning, but do not wish to be stuck with TWO extra VMR rims.

What are my options? Given all that has happened, I do not have high hopes that tracking info will be given to me, or a that a rim has actually be sent. Other than offering my poor experiences on forums such as these and likely never purchasing from Bimmian again, what else can I do to let me concerns be known?

I'm stuck and very frustrated and would appreciate input, good or bad, from members.
scott_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:25 PM   #2
R_JAY
Has the world for ransom

Maybe you can try the VMR guys directly to see if they can help. They are sponsors on various forums. I'm sure if a claim was put through they should be able to track it down.

I remember a few summers ago when I wanted to order my VMR's. I sent two emails to Bimmian through their website and no one ever got back to me. I then read a bunch of bad reviews on here and other forums and thanked God that they didn't. I ended up ordering through OEM Concept and had no issues.

Good luck man!
R_JAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
dbworld4k
Addict

Bimmian VMR wheels: disasterous experience, and need feedback

Bimmian SUCKS. They are trash. If you want VMR wheels, it is best to deal with Allen @ Simply Tire. Maybe he can help you out? Try calling VMR directly and voicing your horrid experience with Bimmian. If VMR cares, they should be pissed that one of their vendors has non-existent customer service.

Post this on E46F and other forums. Maybe that will get those crooks' attention. I would've made it hell for them after such a waste of time even with the original order.

None of what you experienced is even remotely acceptable.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
BimmianSteve
1st Gear Newbie

Scott_88,

Thanks for your honest feedback. In regards to your initial delay in receiving the wheels, we are at the mercy of VMR in terms of when they have wheels in stock at their California warehouse. We only house a small inventory in our Toronto warehouse and unfortunately, we cannot always fulfill orders from that stock and have to import the wheels from VMR. In an attempt to save our Canadian customers the customs and duties, we import the wheels ourselves from our New York warehouse and cover that expense. However, this process does extend the delivery process by a few days.

The customs fee that you were charged on your order was for your air intake, not the wheels. That was an error on aFe's part since they shipped it directly to you instead of our NY warehouse. As you mentioned, this was taken care of for you.

As noted, this is an extremely rare circumstance that I have never experienced (neither had VMR). As such, the case had to get escalated at VMR for a decision to be made. There was some delay in communication between VMR and myself, but we did come to a resolution within two weeks and VMR agreed to warranty the wheel. Once this resolution was reached with VMR, I was told by VMR that the wheel was shipping to our Buffalo warehouse with another shipment. Two weeks after being told that, we rec'd our shipment and the replacement wheel was not there. Upon contacting VMR to see what happened, they admitted that the wheel got left behind and agreed to ship the wheel directly to the customer at that point.

I know this is extremely frustrating, but I have done everything I could to expedite the matter for you. I am tremendously sorry about the delay. Further to my last telephone call with you, please contact me if you want to discuss anything further. Thanks Scott.
BimmianSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
scott_88
wgn_drgn

Hi steve

Fair enough. Also to bimmians credit, your vmr wheels are by far the best price.

Again, the biggest parting feedback would be to improve communicarion with customers, even if you arebjust calling back to say no progress has been made. My frustration was infrequently hearing back from bimmian.

Regards
Old 10-29-2013, 12:38 PM   #6
scott_88
wgn_drgn

And to be fair to readers, everything steve mentioned in his above post is truthful
Old 10-29-2013, 01:22 PM   #7
BimmianSteve
1st Gear Newbie

Thanks for the feedback Scott. We have recently taken some initiatives to ensure that our promises are fulfilled.

Let me know if you need anything else.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
scott_88
wgn_drgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbworld4k View Post
Bimmian SUCKS. They are trash. If you want VMR wheels, it is best to deal with Allen @ Simply Tire. Maybe he can help you out? Try calling VMR directly and voicing your horrid experience with Bimmian. If VMR cares, they should be pissed that one of their vendors has non-existent customer service.

Post this on E46F and other forums. Maybe that will get those crooks' attention. I would've made it hell for them after such a waste of time even with the original order.

None of what you experienced is even remotely acceptable.
Well thats the thing. Ive dealt with allen at Simplytire before and had a great experience. I bought a set of tires from them last yr, and this yr go so far as a quote on a replacement vmr. I was very pleased with how quickly i received emails and communications back. I would often hear from them several times in a day until that day's concerns were addressed. I recognize that as a bigger company, perhaps it will be harder for bimmian to provide the same communication, but i still hope it becomes something they can address.
Old 11-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #9
FSUJBP
1st Gear Newbie

The best advice is not to run VMRs. They are cast garbage.
FSUJBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 PM   #10
scott_88
wgn_drgn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUJBP View Post
Thank you for the feedback everybody, including Bimmian's honest reply.

That's an interesting point you raise. From what I have read, some folks claim the quality of VMRs has really sunk. A lot of members report easy bending and breaking, as I can relate to! I cannot attest to all of their rims as a lot of people still swear by them, but I have my last set of RTX BMW replicas for years without any issues, and that was on a lowered and stiffened 3er.
Old 11-14-2013, 09:53 AM   #11
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSUJBP View Post
uhhh, 90% of the wheels out there in including OEM wheels are cast so I don't get what that has to do with anything.

I had VMR V708's on my S4 and they took a beating for 3+ years and only one wheel towards the end had a slight bend in it after hitting something major.

Based on personal experience I'd buy them again.

VMR also recently announced a flow forged wheel series if you want a lighter/stronger wheel.
Old 11-14-2013, 12:26 PM   #12
BimmianSteve
1st Gear Newbie

I've had a set of V710's on my dodge charger for the past two years without any issues. Honestly, this is the first issue I've ever personally heard of with the VMR wheels.

Any suggestions of other wheels we should be carrying?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: