Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-26-2013, 09:49 PM   #1
barbarian
1st Gear Newbie

Xenon Issues 2001 e46 325i

Hi guys,

I know i've posted about this a while ago but thought I would update everyone on my xenon situation and ask a few more questions.

My xenons were flashing on/off forever. I bit the bullet and changed the alternator (which needed to be changed anyway), got a brand new battery (directly from BMW) and that DIDN'T fix the problem.

I swallowed my pride and paid the $200 to have BMW run a diagnostic. They told me that I need to use BMW bulbs in my tail lights and not any from Canadian Tire and etc. they said it didn't completely solve my problem but made it better. Now my xenons only flash every few minutes once and then stay back on. It was suggested by BMW that I should replace the entire headlight system for a mere $2500!!!!

Is that really necessary? Or can I just buy an HID CAN-BUS kit and replace it like that? I also want angel eyes, so I was wondering if I installed those would that fix the problem?

I'm at my wits end here. Please help!
barbarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

The problem is most likely a bad ground at the tail lights, VERY common problem and BMW even had a recall on it, and upgraded bulb holder with extra ground cable. In rare cases the headlight switch (module) can also do this.

Another common problem with the flashing HID's is the ballast or igniter, but if BOTH lights do it at the same time, i would look at the ground/module first.

As to the aftermarket lights, most are complete garbage, would never put or suggest anyone putting it on a BMW. They leak, fail, and in some cases melt or catch fire. I have seen melted aftermarket ballasts only after a year!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
barbarian
1st Gear Newbie

Ok. Where do I start? I'm reading what you're saying clearly but not understanding ANY of it...where do I find this tail light ground? And if there was a recall done on this would they not have told me about it at BMW or even been done already, therefore NOT silving the problem?
barbarian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

The sad reality is that most people working at dealerships don't know jack! Plus they rather sell you $2500 worth of parts!

Best thing to do is bring it to an independent shop that does BMW only. They will be able to figure out what the problem is, and the best solution. Check the sponsor page, few other shops not listed can do a great job too.

You can also Google the problem, to get an idea, but don't trust 100% of the things posted on the internet! (use just for BASIC info on the possible causes).
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X5 M3 M5

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 05:53 PM   #5
jabela
4th Gear Member

Yea, dealership is the last place your should go. If you're not confident working on it yourself, take it to a recommended shop, like RMP or another forum sponsor.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
wire your lowbeams with a relay directly to your ignition. your lowbeam HID's will be your DRL.

Total cost ~15$ parts, 100$ labour.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
hid headlights hid kit
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: