Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #46
noobeee
2nd Gear Member

oh wow, hadn't thought of that yet! i do have friends with trucks so i guess ill be doing that! yeah i am only 17 so there is a good chance thats the case haha.
noobeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #47
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

17 eh? UhOh.
Nothing wrong with being 17, but when you take your car in you'll have to have your BS Detector and Scam Alert Unit on maximum sensitivity. A lot of places will see you and your car and think "Yeah, we can scam this kid for all his money."
Take care, think.
Consulting on this forum can't hurt, there's a lot of wisdom here and people that hate scammers. Taking the car to a forum sponsor is a good first step.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 08:49 PM   #48
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobeee View Post
i tried this when i bought the car haha but it was marked unsafe for road because it hadnt had a safety for a few years
When the car was last saftied is irrelevant. If it was pass-fit when you purhased it, you should be good. If it was at a dealer, however, it wouldn't have a "psss-fit" anymore.
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #49
noobeee
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
When the car was last saftied is irrelevant. If it was pass-fit when you purhased it, you should be good. If it was at a dealer, however, it wouldn't have a "psss-fit" anymore.
how do i check to see if it is pass fit?
Old 10-12-2013, 11:41 PM   #50
noobeee
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDad View Post
17 eh? UhOh.
Nothing wrong with being 17, but when you take your car in you'll have to have your BS Detector and Scam Alert Unit on maximum sensitivity. A lot of places will see you and your car and think "Yeah, we can scam this kid for all his money."
Take care, think.
Consulting on this forum can't hurt, there's a lot of wisdom here and people that hate scammers. Taking the car to a forum sponsor is a good first step.
yeah i understand that i am going to be on the lookout for that stuff, for now though im taking my car to a forum sponsor next week hopefully and get a second oppinion and quotes on all the stuff i need plus labour.

i was a little worried about posting on here because i thought i was going to get hated on for being new and knowing nothing but all you guys have been super help full which i really appreciate.

not gonna rush into getting repairs done, im going to get a few quotes then go from there, plus i have a few more months of washing dishes before i can afford to get the car on the road so i will take my time with this haha!
Old 10-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #51
aviator
3rd Gear Member

no worries man we were all new at one point... and the only dumb question is the one you don't ask...
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 09:57 AM   #52
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

It's on the ownership: "the vehicle permit indicating that the vehicle’s status is 'fit'"

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...-plate-sticker
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:55 PM   #53
noobeee
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cirrusblau View Post
It's on the ownership: "the vehicle permit indicating that the vehicle’s status is 'fit'"

http://www.ontario.ca/driving-and-ro...-plate-sticker
It says Pas-Unf... which is why i couldnt get a 10 day but the dmv said all i need is to get a safety done and ill be good to go
Old 10-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #54
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
all i need is to get a safety done and ill be good to go
>Sound of bitter laughter<

Getting that safety certificate in your hand can be a horrible ordeal and there's always the temptation to just throw money at the car until buddy gives you a cert. Resist! Be strong!
Get a list of what the reputable mechanic wants done for the safety, think about what you can do yourself, farm out the rest then take it for safety inspection again.
Doing all that with-out a trip permit just adds extra PITA factor, but spend your time (and your truck driving friend's time) instead of your money.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 12:35 AM   #55
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Quote:

Getting that safety certificate in your hand can be a horrible ordeal and there's always the temptation to just throw money at the car until buddy gives you a cert. Resist! Be strong!
Get a list of what the reputable mechanic wants done for the safety, think about what you can do yourself, farm out the rest then take it for safety inspection again.
Doing all that with-out a trip permit just adds extra PITA factor, but spend your time (and your truck driving friend's time) instead of your money.
Or find a "dis-reputable" mechanic who will give you a safety for a little baksheesh and fix the rest as you go... not saying it's the right thing to do just saying it is another option...
Old 10-17-2013, 12:06 AM   #56
noobeee
2nd Gear Member

Quote:

haha its tempting man! but i will, next week i have an appointment to bring my car in so im gonna see what they say and go from there.
Old 10-17-2013, 12:07 AM   #57
noobeee
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Or find a "dis-reputable" mechanic who will give you a safety for a little baksheesh and fix the rest as you go... not saying it's the right thing to do just saying it is another option...
see i was going to do this but im afraid that i will be putting myself or others at danger so i just couldnt even risk doing that haha
Old 10-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #58
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobeee View Post
see i was going to do this but im afraid that i will be putting myself or others at danger so i just couldnt even risk doing that haha
Ahhh what we have here is an honest man... good to see.
Old 10-17-2013, 10:33 PM   #59
noobeee
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
Ahhh what we have here is an honest man... good to see.
indeed haha

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: