Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 10-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #1
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

License Plate Light

So my OBC is giving me a "num plate light fail" and I see that one of my lights is out. I was wondering if anyone could suggest an LED alternative? I've been thinking to get something to match my HID headlights a little more but don't want to have to deal with any error codes.

Does anyone have any LED licence plate bulbs or kits they can recommed that won't give all kinds of error codes? There are a bunch of different ones on ebay and amazon, but all are a little sketchy. Ideally I'd like to grab something locally, but if someone has ordered some from somewhere and has a recommendation that also works.
Old 10-09-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

Without doing any research, I bought mine from Bimmain for my E46 M3. These LEDs are very bright but not at all easy to fit into the existing light bulb housing.

Later I found out there are at least two types of LEDs replacement, 1) there is the "bulb" type which looks a bit like the original license plate bulb and should be plug and play, and 2) the bigger ones which incorporate the LED circuit board and the light bulb cover into one single unit. They are meant to replace the original license plate light cover.

I have the latter but I could not fit it in with the cover the comes with the LED. I had to modify the original cover in order to snap it in and it was still a tight fit.
newbe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Dysantic
Captain Chaos

Yeah, I did some searches and found both but they all seem really hit and miss with with regards to quality, lasting ability and if they are completely compatable with the car. I was hoping someone may have ordered their own and had something to recommend but I guess not. I'll have to take a stab in the dark and hope I get a good set.

At least they don't cost that much to begin with. lol

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: