Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 09-17-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
MaxBell
Clint Eastwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Nah, it's nothing extraordinary. It just makes for a good quick car when you mash the gas pedal, or a smooth quiet cruiser when you don't. I never drove mine on the street after the swap so I can't say for sure but I am confident that you could get 30mpg with the S52 if you didn't drive with a lead foot - which may be hard to resist but that's not much of an option with an M42. The same way a Z06 Corvette will return 30mpg on the highway - it's a light car with a big engine being worked very little.

As for the cost of the swap, you might be able to get it for not much more than that, the S52s are so cheap nowadays that it's a sin.
Yeh the gas mileage on the newer BMW motors is just great. My M50, though it has been rebuilt, gets fantastic mileage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 411 View Post
just letting this furom [*forum] know
MaxBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 12:25 PM   #17
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Jason I spoke to Peter over at PJC yesterday and he said that that swap is definitely something they do and have done and he's looking forward to hearing from you.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #18
BigD
the misanthropist

Wow PJC is still in business? Amazing. Many here still remember the antics of those underdeveloped muppets. Threatening to beat people up, using racial slurs against unhappy customers. To the OP, deal with anyone but that.

Here's a taste:

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67280
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78435
Old 09-18-2013, 03:56 PM   #19
aviator
3rd Gear Member

Well I can't speak with any knowledge about the event mentioned in the above links nor have I met Zif however Peter has always been friendly and professional in dealing with my numerous questions recently and in the past over several years of lurking around a bimmer purchase. What I have observed of his dealings with other customers has been similarly positive. I have no doubt that things may have gotten hot around the event above but it seems perhaps they were middlemen in that deal so to hold them responsible for the seller's misrepresentation is unfair.

And you loose nothing by calling and talking to them and getting a quote on a job, even if you don't choose to go with them it gives you an idea when talking to other shops if they are offering you a fair price for the job.

Another shop you might try is Europa Motors on Woodbine in Markham 905-415-2269. I've spoken with them before discussing possible purchases and they seem to be good knowledgeable people and also reasonable to deal with.

btw bigd why'd you go and get a mahgwa drunk?
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #20
BigD
the misanthropist

When you spend your money you vote for one business over another. There are much more deserving options around town. My personal favorite is Auto Evolution in Oakville.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator View Post
btw bigd why'd you go and get a mahgwa drunk?
Did what now?
Old 09-25-2013, 08:48 PM   #21
ryanjv
2nd Gear Member

Send a message via MSN to ryanjv
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSI View Post
I paid 600 in labour for a same engine swap on an e30 at AUtobahn East. Great work but takes ages. You should be able to get a M52 in there for $2.5k easy.
I second Autobahn east. i had two 318i's, one was a donor car. He swapped everything, replaced gaskets, cleaned everything out for 800. He even stored the cars there for a couple weeks while he did teh swap (i didn't have teh space to store the cars). I second the work taking ages. he is pretty busy, but good.
ryanjv is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 01:56 PM   #22
Kamil
Däs Klässe

Auto evolution just an fyi just quoted me 1000$ labor for an m42 to m52 swap and theyve done over 40 of these conversions in the past. Seems like he knows his stuff and said it takes roughly a week for everything...he can even source all the parts needed for you including motor and tranny
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 02:09 PM   #23
Kamil
Däs Klässe

And autobahn east quoted me 3800$ all said and done for the m52 swap parts and labor included but takes them a few weeks they said whereas auto evolution only a week and probably cheaper by a few hundred in the end
Kamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM   #24
WhitbysE30
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjv View Post
I second Autobahn east.
I also recommend autobahn
WhitbysE30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: