Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-26-2013, 09:12 PM   #1
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Ultra rare Alpina Gauge

WHAT IS THIS SEXY PIECE!!!

apparently it reads
Oil Temp
Oil Pressure
Differential Oil Pressure
Gear Selector
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
92' 325is (m52) - M3 conversion AA S/c'd
'97 Euro Estroil E36 M3 Vert (S50B32)
iverson03tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #2
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

I have it in my car.

In a "SwitchTronic" auto it reads the 4 things you mentioned. Oil temp and oil pressure are very handy. I've never felt the need to know my diff temp In a manual car it would have battery voltage instead of gear selection.

They come up on ebay.de with the senders for about $1000 from time to time. There was a guy on bimmerforums who was trying to replicate it, but it looks like it fizzled out.
jrsmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:49 PM   #3
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

A bit more info since I just happened to have had this apart on the weekend.

Alpina has their own cap for the oil filter canister with two ports for the oil gauge senders.

You can see it in place here, with the temp sender sticking straight up and the pressure sender is tucked away on the back under the manifold.

Here is the view with the cap off.

I assume the gear selection indicator comes from the TCU. I haven't seen the sender on the diff yes but haven't looked too closely either.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:24 PM   #4
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

Man that is nice!

Car looks super clean!
e36 328is - (m52)AA S/c'd, M50 Mani, 3.23 LSD, M3 Brakes, Zimmer rotors, hps pads, Racing Dynamic Strut Bar, Depos, m3 Bumper, Intake, Spal fan, poly RTABs, Eibach Swaybars, Koni yellow, Mishimoto Rad, Silicone hose, Alumi T-housing, Depo w/LED Angels, LED tails, 12' Alpine Type R, Suede head liner, LTW Low rise spoiler
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 08-28-2013, 01:07 AM   #5
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Quality thread. Thanks for giving us a look at a rare part, jrsmitchell (and for the inspiration, OP)
Old 08-28-2013, 10:41 AM   #6
thatguy
1st Gear Newbie

as cool as it might be to other, i find it very cluttering and pointless compared to a euro s50b30/2 cluster. even the location of the sender unit. not very nice compared to oem euro.

thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Yes, my E34 M5 also has oil temperature displayed there-- I don't know if this is the case on NA models as well? (Mine is Euro.)

Anyway maybe this isn't something that is easily added to non-m engines? That oil-filter solution looks like a pretty easy add on even if it isn't as slick.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
Quality thread. Thanks for giving us a look at a rare part, jrsmitchell (and for the inspiration, OP)
Happy to share any time! I actually have zero experience with E36s aside from this car, so I'm always trying to learn about the differences from the B3 to other models...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguy View Post
as cool as it might be to other, i find it very cluttering and pointless compared to a euro s50b30/2 cluster. even the location of the sender unit. not very nice compared to oem euro.
The angle of the pic probably makes it look more cluttered than it is. From a normal driving position it doesn't impede the other gauges at all. But I do agree that's a better location for a gauge, especially since I don't care at all about my fuel mileage in this car. Analog gauges are also a little easier to read at a quick glance than digital. I do like having Oil Pressure in addition to Oil temp though.

Do you know where the oil temp sender located on the Euro cars?
Old 08-28-2013, 03:06 PM   #9
ZiMMie
6th Gear Member

Send a message via ICQ to ZiMMie Send a message via MSN to ZiMMie
^ Oil Filter Housing. Behind it.

www.StanceFactory.com
ZiMMie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:29 PM   #10
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

It would be nice if some aftermarket place could fabricate something along those lines. I'm sure e36 owners would buy it
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 09-10-2013, 09:54 AM   #11
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

that will never happen at this point.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:04 AM   #12
iverson03tj
5th Gear Member

yea a bit too late...
PREVIOUS CARS
Old 09-10-2013, 10:13 AM   #13
thatguy
1st Gear Newbie

I still think its USELESS. yes i said it. .

Oil Temp - Euro Cluster
Oil Pressure - Light in the Cluster
Differential Oil Pressure - Seriously? not even built BMW Race cars have that.
Gear Selector - LOL!

I appreciate the fact that yea it cool and different but to me its useless an pointless on an NA car.
thatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:52 AM   #14
jrsmitchell
Switchtronic

Hey @thatguy, we get that you like your Euro cluster That's cool I like it too. Most people don't have one though - are they inexpensive to source from Germany?

Oil Temp - Euro Cluster - Agree I like that placement better
Oil Pressure - Light in the Cluster - Seriously? You think a warning light is as good as a gauge?
Differential Oil Pressure - Seriously? not even built BMW Race cars have that. - It's differential temperature, not pressure. Alpina seems very concerned about diff temp for some reason with their extra large / finned diff covers and their temp gauge. I don't understand it either.
Gear Selector - LOL! - Keep in mind this car is a "Switchtronic" with push button shifting on the steering wheel (you can just make out the up/down arrows on the wheel in my pic). So it can actually be useful to know what gear you're in, especially if you're in 1 or 2 when starting from a dig.
Old 09-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #15
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Not to mention, the Alpina guages let you keep your fuel mileage indicator in the cluster, which I do miss with Oil Temp there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: