Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

Dash-cam options/suggestions/wiring

Hey guys.

Been thinking about getting a dash cam for a while, thought I would find out if any members had one? Suggestions for brands?

From my research theres the low-end Ebay models and high-end models like the Blackvue: http://www.blackvue.ca/

I've sort of found something in the middle with this: http://www.techmoan.com/blog/2013/7/...p-micro-c.html

In terms of wiring, what are the suggestions? I was thinking that wiring to the glove box torch would be ideal? This way its out of view and shuts off a little while after the car shuts off. Is there wiring that can be spliced from the auto-dimming rearview mirror?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
jabela
4th Gear Member

I use this Carcam II. I'm pretty happy with it. One of the cheaper ones on focalprice would probably work just as well.
http://www.focalprice.com/ER0340B/Ca...der_Black.html

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 01:30 AM   #3
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

Thats not bad at all for the price.. How do you power it? Cigarette lighter?
Old 08-26-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
jabela
4th Gear Member

yup, you can set it to start recording on power on. it also loop records. i wish my gopro could loop record.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #5
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

For power I was thinking of tapping into the mirror auto dim power using one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/DROK-Power-Sup.../dp/B00CGQME5U

This way everything stays behind the rear view mirror. Opinions?
Old 08-26-2013, 09:36 PM   #6
Sublime
1st Gear Newbie

Is there a DIY for installing them? I also wanted to get a Dashcam, but I have been intimated to install it as I don't want to screw anything up in the car and also by my lack of knowledge of dashcams.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:56 PM   #7
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

IF you dont mind the wires, there really isnt anything to install. You just have to provide power to the dash cam. You mount it onto your windshield, and plug it into your cigarette lighter socket and you are good to go. When you switch on your car, the camera goes on and off when you switch off. It loop records, so you never really have to clear any videos, it records over the oldest clip.

I just dont want the wires, hence I was trying to find a way to splice into another power source. Still open to tips on how and where to splice the power.
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 PM   #8
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

Anyone?

and great driving there Jabela!
Old 08-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #9
FermiParadox
2nd Gear Member

I've got a BlackVue installed and took the time to hide the power cable in the headliner, A-pillar, run it under the dash trim, fish it through from behind the head unit, and then run it under the center console to the glovebox where I plugged it into an OEM "glovebox flashlight to 12 V converter". If you like I can take, and post pictures of the installation. Let me know...
FermiParadox is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:13 PM   #10
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

Yes please, that would be great. From the A pillar, you cant go directly into the glovebox? have to loop it like you did?
Old 08-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
FermiParadox
2nd Gear Member

I'm sure you COULD go right into the glove box but I didn't see a way to do it without leaving a wire out in the open for everyone to see...and since the power cable was stupid long I figured I'd use the extra length to hide it. I'll take some pictures to show you what I did and post them up.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:44 AM   #12
FermiParadox
2nd Gear Member

Here are the pictures of how I set my dashcam up...they are all pretty clear except for maybe the second to last picture (#5) which shows the power cable coming out from under the centre console...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (246.2 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (178.9 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (278.8 KB, 92 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (237.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (197.7 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (200.8 KB, 90 views)
Old 08-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
mtnbiker
1st Gear Newbie

Wow. Very neat install. This way you dont have to worry about splicing and all that. Just run the wires like you did and plug it in. Perfect. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #14
FermiParadox
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbiker View Post
Wow. Very neat install. This way you dont have to worry about splicing and all that. Just run the wires like you did and plug it in. Perfect. Thanks a lot.
You're welcome. My major concern was a loose wire that could have been tugged on which would then pull everything out of the headliner so I thought since they gave me the world's longest power cable I'd use it. In fact there was still some slack in the cable when I was finished so I left it buried under the centre console. Just a word of caution, if you decide to run yours the same way make sure you spend the $20 to get yourself a proper set of plastic trim tools so you don't end up breaking something!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
Old 09-01-2013, 10:03 PM   #15
damonchoy
Breaks My Wallet

I had a DVR-007 720p HD dash cam from eBay in my E36.

Was about $40-60 if I recall correctly and it worked flawlessly for months (until I sold my car with it in it).

Loop recording, 720p HD, records when power is received, shuts off when power is cut. I had it powered by my cigarette lighter then I ran the wiring behind the dash, under the glovebox, up the windshield pillars and to the camera. You couldn't see any of the wiring at all.

I would highly recommend it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/HD720P-DVR007...-/310395030964

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9X7_8smIrvg

Damon Choy - 17 years of age - First: E36 328iC Second: E46 330ci M-Sport (Imola/Alcantara)
2003 Nissan 350Z Touring Pkg. - Le Mans Sunset - Black leather - ARC Titanium shift knob
Chargespeed carbon fiber trunk lip - 19" VarrsToen ES 3.2.2 - Impul headers - Muffler delete
Tein MonoFlex coilovers - Tomei test pipe - Toyo R888/Michelin Pilot Sport - Central20 3.9 FD

Last edited by damonchoy; 09-01-2013 at 10:11 PM.
damonchoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: