Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > Track Junkies
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-28-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
sb_600
5th Gear Member

8-Legs Racing at Calabogie (Ted Powell Race weekend)

What an awesome weekend. As some of you know, Chris and I have been working for 8 Legs Racing for a few years now, and as a thank you, they signed us all up to participate in the GT Sprints/Challenge last weekend at Calabogie.

We wanted to do the test day for a few reasons:
1. The e36 hadnt run in over a year.
2. Chris and I had never driven #710 (yellow e46)
3. Chris had never driven #411 (red e36)
4. Arek hasnt driven all year and wanted seat time
5. Eric ran 2 laps at ICAR this year..

We had planned an internal tournament for 8-Legs Racing: Wed each drive specific cars for GT Challenge, but for the sprints, wed bounce from car-to-car-to-car, and whoever got the fastest cumulative time (by adding your fastest lap in each car) would win! The two e46s are in GT2 for the sprints, and the e36 is GT3. All the cars are running in the same class for GT Challenge in GS.

Friday:

Test day! Roll the cars out on Friday morning, fire them up to warm them up....

#747 (black/orange e46) decides to self destruct: The plastic timing chain guides destroyed themselves. Sweet good start to a weekend.
So we register the two other cars and start alternating drivers in each session, while the other guys slowly (VERY slowly) start taking the front end of 747 off and pulling the motor apart. First session out is Chris and Arek. So far so good. Arek comes in and says Shawn take the yellow car out next session. Ok thats the car Im most intimidated by, but at the same time most excited about driving - Cool.

Oh and by the way, its very tail happy at high speed.

Wait.

What?

High speed?!?! Umm... alright... I guess....

So next session out, I take the yellow car out. HOLY CRAP. That thing is awesome. The pedals: perfect. Balance: ok not so perfect but manageable. Sound: insane. Feel: ridiculous. I love that car.

My car feels like a boat compared to that thing. Its raw, solid, uncensored. A screaming banshee waiting to rip you apart. But at the same time, it WANTS to carry you to P1. So freaking cool. And the sound OMG. You may have seen my sprint video that whine sounds like youre in a jet fighter (not that Ive ever been in one but yeah). You can better hear the engine RPM in the driver seat, so between that and the drivetrain whine, its a symphony of adrenaline resonating in your helmet.

The practice day finishes off well The best time so far in #710 is a 2:20.1 (wow, slow considering it ran a 2:14 in CTCC last year). The track feels slow or maybe its just the tires were running or maybe we just suck lol.

Friday night we finish pulling 747 apart, fish all the plastic bits out of the oil pan, and bolt it back up. Ready for tech tomorrow!

1992 BMW 325i (CHUMPCAR #296 - Metric Homes Racing)
1992 3.0L M52 325i (ex-daily driver - track car only)
2002 330Ci (ex-daily driver - sold!)

sb_600 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: