Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-22-2013, 12:08 AM   #16
Sublime
1st Gear Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discostar View Post
Yes. The M5 is an amazing car. Its one of the better looking of the current BMW generation cars, itís fast, but practical?

The OP is worried about day to day costs of the M3. The M5 is not exactly a solution to that. Plus, give that thing 5 years. General maintenance on a car that heavy with that performance level is gonna be a nightmare.
I have read some articles online indicating that some individuals have gotten pretty good MPG on the new m5. I think there's even a video that shows this. I will find it and post it... I believe the m5 is suppose to be more practical and reliable than the older ones.
Sublime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:13 AM   #17
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325isdan View Post
McBain pulls up in his Hummer.
Homer: So, what kind of gas mileage does this thing get?
McBain: 1 highway, 0 city
Homer: Wow...
lol Priceless Simpsons moment right here!!!!

The only thing I had this bad (and I DD an Expedition) was my Seadoo that needed 50L/100...BUT hell of FUN!!!!
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 07:22 AM   #18
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

I'm wondering why if u have a 911, and a truck/SUV of some sort that your worried about gas mileage.

Either misled environmental concerns ( can't say you care about carbon foot print when u have 2 cars already like these).

Or your taxed budget to own these vehicles leaves you to tight to put gas in them

Maybe you should get the current 328, and get not have to worry about filling the tank.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #19
nonlocal
Last of the Late-Brakers

Holy shit. Am I missing something here or do you all have the reading comprehension of 5 year-olds?

OP is not as concerned about gas costs, as he states in BOTH his posts, as he is concerned about range per tank. He has heard rumours of M3s getting only 300km per tank, and would like input from M3 owners as to their experiences. Personally, I can totally appreciate this-- I love a lot of things about my M5 but one of my favourites on a long roadtrip is the 80l tank.

I have never driven an e9x M3 but the tank capacity is 63l so you should be able to draw your own conclusions from people's stated mileage on the various fora...
Old 08-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #20
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

my civic has a 40l tank.

dont tread on me bro
Old 08-22-2013, 11:05 AM   #21
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlocal View Post
Holy shit. Am I missing something here or do you all have the reading comprehension of 5 year-olds?

OP is not as concerned about gas costs, as he states in BOTH his posts, as he is concerned about range per tank. He has heard rumours of M3s getting only 300km per tank, and would like input from M3 owners as to their experiences. Personally, I can totally appreciate this-- I love a lot of things about my M5 but one of my favourites on a long roadtrip is the 80l tank.

I have never driven an e9x M3 but the tank capacity is 63l so you should be able to draw your own conclusions from people's stated mileage on the various fora...
"With the M3 my concerns are gas mileage. My 911 can get 22-25 mpg, is the M3 really around 15 and a tank lasts about 300 km's?"
Old 08-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #22
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Quote:

"With the M3 my concerns are gas mileage. My 911 can get 22-25 mpg, is the M3 really around 15 and a tank lasts about 300 km's?"

If your worried about mileage in anyway get a Prius!

Buying an $80,000 plus dollar car one doesn't worry about mileage.

These are cars to be driven or bought for status
Old 08-22-2013, 11:41 AM   #23
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

It's okay to be concerned fuel mileage, any smart person world make sure they understood the operating costs before buying a car. That doesn't mean he can't afford it. Alot of people can afford to drive gas guzzling V8s,v10 etc. They just don't want to or choose not to.

Initially I had the same concerns before I bought mine, but I knew going into it that was going to be the trade off for the performance you get. That said, I now know that it isn't as bad as people make it out to be. (Atleast not for my driving). Now if the S65 couldn't do better than 10MPG on the highway or only made 200hp that might have effected my buying decision. Reports indicated that 15-20 MPG was more the norm, and I was okay with that. Not that I couldn't afford to drive it at 10MPG if I wanted to, but because i'd be driving it as a daily and i'd want to be able to do long trips. <10MPG would be okay for a weekend car you take on short drives, but unless you have a really good reason to it usually doesn't make sense to most people to drive something that inefficient.

It's also used as a comparison tool, I wouldn't buy a 2dr coupe that only made 200HP and got 10MPG if I was already driving a 2dr coupe with 240HP and got 28MPG. Unless of course there were other factors.

So I wouldn't say everyone has to drive a Prius if they are concerned about fuel mileage.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:23 PM   #24
arek
3rd Gear Member

e46 m3 mpg is amazing.. I used to get 500km/tank and drove it like a madman half the time.. and the performance between the two isn't that far off since the e92 is such a pig.
arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:48 PM   #25
Linz323
2nd Gear Member

My E92 gets about 400km per tank if you drive combined city / highway, and don't drive to the last drop-- which would work out to about 14 L/100km, which isn't bad for a 4.0L with 414hp!

My trip computer tends to be a bit optimistic, but not by too much, showing about 13 L/100km.

Highway, it will do about 11 L/100km (or about 550km), assuming relatively constant 120-130 km/h speeds.

It is only a 63L tank, so not all that big, but more than enough range, IMHO.

To get only 300km, you're in the 20L / 100km range, at which point you need to be doing a lot of moderate-to-full throttle driving, which is pretty tough to do, but impressive.

You basically pay in mileage for engine volume and hp-- my E46 M3 gets about 20% better mileage, not suprisingly with about 20% less power, and exactly 20% less volume.

I say buy my '08, and have a ton of gas money left over so you can drive-it-like-you-stole-it as much as possible!

Last edited by Linz323; 08-22-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Linz323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #26
Adhamhnon
NOCTRNAL

I keep waiting for the beige corolla supercar to show up in this thread. lol
Adhamhnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #27
dbworld4k
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhamhnon View Post
I keep waiting for the beige corolla supercar to show up in this thread. lol

Be afraid.

'02 ///M5 Imola Red / Imola Red '09 335i Alpine White / Coral Red

Past:
'04 E55 AMG Brilliant Silver / Anthracite
'96 318i Alpine White / Black
'01 330Ci Titanium Silver / Coral Red
'96 328i Jet Black / Black
dbworld4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:32 PM   #28
newbe46
2nd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by arek View Post
e46 m3 mpg is amazing.. I used to get 500km/tank and drove it like a madman half the time.. and the performance between the two isn't that far off since the e92 is such a pig.
Same here.

I can get 500+ out of every tank in my E46 M3 too. And I accelerate pretty hard whenever the traffic permits and there is no cxxksucking cops around me.
newbe46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #29
arek
3rd Gear Member

newbe46,

Get a GTR, and you won't have to worry about cops. thankfully our province can't budget or afford for helicopters. Watch out for OPP planes during the daytime though..

Yes, you can outrun radios..

woops, might have said too much already..

arek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 11:57 PM   #30
Eurostyle
MaXsponsor

Quote:

The original post was edited!
AND even if it was just the range!??? Unless you live in the middle of nowhere, away from all civilization, than MANYBE the range will be a problem!!! Lets be serious, we live in Canada, have a gas station at ever other corner. Unless you MUST do Toronto-Quebec City on ONE fill up, almost any car is adequate.
Most models E30 E36 E46 E90 E92 E93 E34 E39 E60 E32 E38 E65 E66 X3 X5 M3 M5 Z4

2nd location opening SOON!!!!

Call 11-8PM 416 821-2578
New inventory daily. 50+ cars in stock!
Eurostyle is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: