Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > General > General Discussion
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #16
SiR
Vtec just kicked in

^^ ugh poor porsche.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

I read that peppermint oil keeps mice away better than dryer sheets.
And my car smells minty-fresh in spring.

+1 on park brake off and oil change before and after storage, with the cheapest possible essence of dinosaur, no need for synthetics.

I started my E30 twice last winter because I couldn't help myself. Rolling it from one end of the garage to the other just wasn't doing for me. I know, I'm bad, but if you let it run until it's warm enough to evaporate the water out of the oil it's less bad.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 01:29 AM   #18
Euro_7
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
no idea on the brakes, dont see why that would matter.

i would always recommend storing the car with clean oil.
Well I brake hard a few times before storage to remove moisture...I find that even when I let my car sit for a few weeks the rotors turn a rusty colour and braking before storing from my experience prevents this.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
davericher20
black and blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubDad View Post
I read that peppermint oil keeps mice away better than dryer sheets.
And my car smells minty-fresh in spring.

+1 on park brake off and oil change before and after storage, with the cheapest possible essence of dinosaur, no need for synthetics.

I started my E30 twice last winter because I couldn't help myself. Rolling it from one end of the garage to the other just wasn't doing for me. I know, I'm bad, but if you let it run until it's warm enough to evaporate the water out of the oil it's less bad.
Thats a long time to get the oil temps up. Water temp sure, but it takes a long time if at all to get the oil up to operating temperature at idle. And letting it idle for that long is bad in itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by JINT View Post
Some people have serious track experience from the cruise, so what is fast to you, isn't fast to them.
davericher20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 06:18 PM   #20
SubDad
2nd Gear Member

I know, I'm bad, and when people ask me about starting a stored car I tell them not to.

But once I've started it and the L-Jet injectors are washing the cylinder walls in raw fuel I gotta...just gotta... let it run until the idle speed comes down. And it sounded so happy to be awake.

I'll try to restrain myself this coming winter.
SubDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #21
aviator
3rd Gear Member

On the winter starting thing it does specifically state in the owner's manual to run the A/C for a 5 mins. min. at least once every 30 days to keep the seals tight and oil circulated so the refrigerant does'nt leak out.
A couple pieces of plywood would also make an effective break between the tires and concrete.
If someone in your hood has bought a new fridge or flat screen ask for the cardboard and lay it out flat put the wood/styro/carpet on top of it and drive on to the "pads" the weight of the car will hold the cardboard in place and will catch and show any fluid leaks from the car and also protect the concrete from same a win win.

Make sure you have a good wash and wax done before you put it away to protect the finish.

Another good anti-moisture/mold trick is to put a few old margerine tubs half full of plain white rice [uncooked] in the car say four in the cab one each side front and rear and one more in the trunk. They will absorb any moisture in the air. If you have a really damp parking spot check and replace if necessary once or twice. Just use the cheap no-name stuff.

Make sure to lift the floor mats up so air can get around them to the carpet underneath... you can clean them and stack them in the trunk this will help to prevent floor rot and that musty stink in the spring.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #22
Dinanstu
2nd Gear Member

Those are good points. I will add the rice and mat items on my check list!
Old 11-04-2013, 10:15 PM   #23
LoveMy///M
2nd Gear Member

Thanks everyone for all the advice. I've stored the car now based on everything that was discussed.

I've been doing some reading and I have a concern.
Apparently the batteries on these cars aren't suppose to stay disconnected for a long period of time ? I was told I would have to go to a dealer in order to "re-register" my components in my car ?

Not sure if there is any truth to this. I'm sure i'll have to re-calibrate the one touch on my windows and some settings that would be reset on the radio and whatnot. (clock, date, etc)
I was told the dealer would have to set the max charge on the battery and has to do other stuff that I wouldn't be able too.
(I thought only the 2006+ 3 series needed battery registration) - Mines an 04.

any truth to this ?

Last edited by LoveMy///M; 11-04-2013 at 10:36 PM.
LoveMy///M is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #24
damameke
6th Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMy///M View Post
Thanks everyone for all the advice. I've stored the car now based on everything that was discussed.

I've been doing some reading and I have a concern.
Apparently the batteries on these cars aren't suppose to stay disconnected for a long period of time ? I was told I would have to go to a dealer in order to "re-register" my components in my car ?

Not sure if there is any truth to this. I'm sure i'll have to re-calibrate the one touch on my windows and some settings that would be reset on the radio and whatnot. (clock, date, etc)
I was told the dealer would have to set the max charge on the battery and has to do other stuff that I wouldn't be able too.
(I thought only the 2006+ 3 series needed battery registration) - Mines an 04.

any truth to this ?

Use a battery tender, so you don't have to disconnect the battery
damameke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013, 10:50 PM   #25
LoveMy///M
2nd Gear Member

I will definitely be buying one soon.

Problem is it has already been disconnected for a while, I found some mixed information online. Wanted to see if anyone has fully disconnected their battery while storing.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:18 PM   #26
Vassago12
1st Gear Newbie

I disconnect my battery every winter. Just set the clock in the spring and you're good to go.
Old 11-06-2013, 07:33 PM   #27
LoveMy///M
2nd Gear Member

that sounds good, thanks for confirming.
Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 AM   #28
Biggie
BMW Power

Great thread - lots of useful info. I'm debating whether to store my 335i as well this winter --- I'm in the States most of the time anyway, and only home like 2 weeks out of 4 each month so its probably best to let the E90 sleep till Spring. Just have to bite the bullet and store her - having too much fun driving her whenever I come back home though
Biggie is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: