Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E30 (1983 - 1991)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Time to say goodbye...

So, as much as I enjoy my E30, it's time to move on. I'm not into bodywork and just can't keep up with the rust. I'm struggling to put a value to the car, so was hoping to get a bit of insight from everyone here.

I've had this car for the past 6 years. It was bought from a used car dealership and was in rough shape. I've since serviced just about everything mechanical on the car, in addition to a couple cosmetic upgrades like radio and driver's seat. The suspension has E36 solid rubber CABs, new rubber bushings all around (incl. subframe), H&R Sport springs with Bilstein Sport dampers as of 4 years (approx 40 000 km) ago and is still super tight. New wheel bearings all around, new fuel lines, new hard brake lines, engine was re-sealed 3 years ago. Control arms and tie rods new 2 years ago. Brakes have generic solid rotors with Hawk HP+ pads. They are a bit rough around the city, but are incredible at and above highway speeds! Stainless steel flex lines all around, as well as brass bushings really give a nice feel. Seats are in excellent shape.

The bad: steering rack leaks so running without (but have spare rack that does not leak AND rebuild kit), some ABS sensors had to be cut (sensors seized in trailing arm and strut housing) so no ABS, no horn, plenty of rust, power locks no longer function and manual driver's door lock wearing out.

In summary, the car has a lot of nice parts and handles great, but does need a lot of TLC.

So what are everyone's thoughts? Btw... it's a 1987 325i
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Kitchener-20120623-00049.jpg (487.4 KB, 338 views)

Last edited by cirrusblau; 06-08-2013 at 11:17 PM. Reason: model and year
cirrusblau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:23 PM   #2
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Much as I hate to say it, rusty E30s aren't worth much...I'd suggest parting it out. What's the mileage on it?
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Mileage is approx 330k. And yep, I hear you on that. There are a lot of nice cars from the south! Fortunately for me, if it comes to parting it out, there are a lot of parts that still have lots of life left!

And I should mention as well, it's a 5 spd.
Old 06-08-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
TSI
Reverse Gear Member

Yeah, it's a very sad day when an E30 dies...but it sounds like this one will live on with its parts helping us out.

Keep us posted (I, for one, could use a few bits!)
TSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #5
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

The car still drives great, so it really is a shame! The body, however, I've neglected for far too long.

What bits in particular do you need? Could help sway my decision to try and sell whole vs part out ;-)
Old 06-09-2013, 08:08 AM   #6
defaultName
5th Gear Member

I would suggest rusting it even more and selling it to someone who likes Volkswagens!

But seriously I would try to sell it whole first if you don't mind holding on to it for a few weeks longer.

Try to figure out how much you could realistically get parting it out, and then factor in how much time you'll save by selling it whole (as opposed to parting it) and that should give you an idea of a price.
defaultName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #7
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Haha, road trip to the east cost for some salt spray off the ocean?

I'm not in a rush to sell, so definitely beneficial to keep it whole. I've parted a car before and know how long it can take to move the parts, and the lack of garage space during the process! I like your thinking though, sounds like a solid way to determine the price.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Actn Jksn
1st Gear Newbie

When you say the engine was resealed, does this include the spark plug seals and piston rings?

I'm going to assume oil pan, head gasket and valve cover seals were done.
Actn Jksn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:08 AM   #9
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, oil pan etc. Basically all the seals that hold the fluids in the engine except the head gasket. Off the top of my head, I think that's rear main seal, oil pan, oil thermostat/filter seals, head oil return seals, valve cover gasket (although those don't last and could prob use another). Also intake and exhaust gaskets.

Much easier to do while the engine out, and nice to not drip oil everywhere I go!
Old 06-10-2013, 04:52 PM   #10
mr ilia
3rd Gear Member

i think i have seen this car many times in not far from North York central library.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:10 PM   #11
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

That would be the one!
Old 08-12-2013, 01:07 PM   #12
aviator
3rd Gear Member

might be interested if it's still available and the price is right.
aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:24 PM   #13
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Still available. PM'd
Old 08-12-2013, 02:16 PM   #14
e30tOny
k-man

.....hmmm...it would be nice to see a "high resolution" pic of the right fender
e30tOny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
cirrusblau
3rd Gear Member

Right fender was new OEM fender 4 years ago.

Left fender is bubbling quite a bit but no penetration. I'll happily send pics if you provide your email.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: