Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-30-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
alaadeen
2nd Gear Member

2010 328i: USB-AUX interface cable & Blue tooth

Happy Summer folks! I am trying to get a USB-AUX interface cable. My wife and I use to different phones: Iphone 4 & Galaxy S3.

My question:
1) Most interface cables I see support only iPhone or iPod. Are there any that support Android phone like Galaxy S3?

2) Any idea why the blue tooth connects for phone contacts but fails to see or play any audio files from either iphone or Android?

Thanks
alaadeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:19 PM   #2
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaadeen View Post
Happy Summer folks! I am trying to get a USB-AUX interface cable. My wife and I use to different phones: Iphone 4 & Galaxy S3.

My question:
1) Most interface cables I see support only iPhone or iPod. Are there any that support Android phone like Galaxy S3?

2) Any idea why the blue tooth connects for phone contacts but fails to see or play any audio files from either iphone or Android?

Thanks
What audio option do you have in your e90? Is there a USB port in your car or just a headphone jack?

2. I don't believe BMWs supported A2DP (Bluetooth audio streaming) 2011.5+ supported AD2P where you might need a certain audio option to support it, so the only thing that should work is bluetooth heads-free /calling.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #3
alaadeen
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Tdot. Yes you are correct only the phone audio works through blue-tooth.

I do have a usb and
audio in (AUX).
Old 08-05-2013, 07:37 PM   #4
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

To use the iPod out function on the iPhone 4 you need the Y-Cable that can be bought from BMW or Chinese made ones that have questionable quality.

Not sure about the Android device, maybe try your Micro USB cable and plugging it directly into the car's USB port and see if it does anything. If not you might need a 3.5mm aux cable to go from your headphone jack to the cars aux port.
Old 08-06-2013, 11:55 AM   #5
alaadeen
2nd Gear Member

Thanks again. Yes I have looked at the Y-cable - for the iPhone' solution - need to purchase that. Still seems silly to require a cable when most cars around 2010/2011 era have direct blutooth for phone and audio media.

Even without the Y-cable, I can connect through individual USB and AUX cables for each of iPhone or Android, but have to operate through the phone instead of the car's monitor.

I was trying to see if there were any other alternate solutions, but doesn't seem to be. Makes you wonder why they couldn't improve on this tech for a 2010 model!?!
Old 08-06-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Quote:
Even without the Y-cable, I can connect through individual USB and AUX cables for each of iPhone or Android, but have to operate through the phone instead of the car's monitor.
Yup, only way to control the iPod from the car stereo is via the Y-Cable. Direct USB won't do anything but charge the iPhone. The Y-Cable has some kinda chip in it to enable iPod Out functionality

Quote:
I was trying to see if there were any other alternate solutions, but doesn't seem to be. Makes you wonder why they couldn't improve on this tech for a 2010 model!?!
Yea unfortunately BMW was behind the curve in this area, iPhone got A2DP bluetooth media streaming in 2009, but BMW didn't support it until 2011+
The only alternative is to use one of those bluetooth aux adapters, but then you can't control it.

Instead, I just load some music on one of the many small USB drives I have laying around (4gb holds alot of MP3s). I find it much easier to just leave that in my car than plugging my phone in every time i get in.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #7
alaadeen
2nd Gear Member

The spare USB idea is great - thanks for all your input buddy!
Old 08-07-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
LUVBMW
1st Gear Newbie

Trevor is 100% correct about the Y-cable BMW offers. BMW would prefer that you use Apple products when using I-drive options. However, it is still compatible with most other smartphones. You can use any USB attachment to sync your phone to the I-drive system and any generic aux-cable to simply play music from literally any type of mp3 device.

Bluetooth can be a little more tricky. Like I said BMW has made their cars compatible with Apple and most other smartphones. This means that if your BMW does have the ability to sync music through Bluetooth (some vehicles which have I-drive do not have this option due to model/year/packages) it may or may not be able to transfer music wireless.

If you want your experience when driving a BMW to be completely satisfactory and enjoyable Iphone would be your best option. If not, then it is possible you can run into some barriers. But things like phone attachment, contacts, music, multimedia are simple and are perfectly accessible with most smartphones. Best thing to do is go to your nearest Dealer for more information.
LUVBMW is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: