Disagree. Teaching someone to drive by cones is stupid. Period. What if the cone is moved? And more importantly, it teaches you to look at the wrong thing. Re-learning this habit is more difficult then learning it right from the start.
Late apex never was and never will be a safer and definitely not a faster way, I have no idea who came up with that gem, but he and the idiots that repeat it should be shot for teaching it to students.
There isn't a single corner on any race track that makes a late apex faster or safer, except for some hairpins and decreasing radius turns. By the way, T5 at Mosport is NOT a late apex at 5B, watch pros take it.
And speaking of Mosport, most schools will tell you that to enter T2 your car has to be about a car's width from the right edge, and entering T4 you need to be aligned with the second "C" in the Continental sign. I asked why to more than a few "experts" and never got an intelligent answer. My favourite was: "Because it's the line." I asked why, the guy just walked away. NONE of the pros drive it that way. NOT A SINGLE ONE.
Now, go on Youtube, watch ANY pro drive Mosport or ANY other track and show me a late apex. If you do, I am buying drinks.
Next items on the agenda are:
Slow in fast out;
When in a spin, both feet in;
Steady hands... and more B.S. I can go on
Bottom line - don't believe a doctor or a lawyer that learned how to drive a manual transmission at 40, joined a car club at 50, and became an instructor at 60. 90% of them will repeat the same B.S. that was taught to them by other doctors and lawyers. Try to find the remaining 10%
Wanna learn - watch pros.