Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E46 (1998 - 2005)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-07-2013, 11:57 PM   #16
jabela
4th Gear Member

OK, should be okay there then. Did you get around to bedding them in?
Maybe you could take some pics of your rotors for us.

I still suspect your FCABs though. You could jack up the car and check the front wheels for play by wiggling the sides and then the top/bottom.

2002 E46 325ci // 5spd // ISC N1 Coilovers
www.modernapothecary.ca
jabela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 05:36 PM   #17
sergiomordo
2nd Gear Member

Sorry for late reply, been busy.. I finally had the time to bed them in today. I did 8 runs from 60 to about 15 with hard braking and fast acceleration. Once done, I cruise at 60 for 3-4 mins to let the brakes cool and tested for vibration, it was still there. So I repeated this bedding in process for a total of 5 times, each time cruising for couple mins to cool the brakes down without using them. In the end, I did not see any change in vibration.

I will check the wheels for play in FCABs. That is the next step. However, wouldn't the car have some sort of vibration without the brakes applied if the FCABs were gone? My car just rides perfectly fine, even at speeds up to 130. And also, the problem did disappear before when I resurfaced the rotors, and later replaced them. It just lasts couple months and problem comes back.
sergiomordo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

As I mentioned, I had a caliper that was sticking... had it replaced along with the pads and rotors, problem gone. Any chance your calipers might need servicing too...?

It sounds like a bit of a mystery though... is the only symptom the vibration in the steering wheel or is there any noise as well? I couldn't really hear noise until I drove with my windows down, so you might want to try that. But ya I would try hoisting again and giving the wheel a good shake up/down, left/right to see if there's any play in the fcabs.

I'm a relatively new owner, so that's my 2 cents...
Bforte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #19
sergiomordo
2nd Gear Member

My third time trying to fix this issue was to replace both the calipers and the rotors. It solved the issue for couple months, and it started again. I do not think my calipers have a problem.

I do not hear any noise from the brakes, just when I brake at high speeds, the steering wheel shakes soo bad that it also makes noises as if I am going to brake smth.

At low speeds, even stopping for a red light at 10-20km/h, the car does not stop smootly, it pushes my body back and forth very slightly while stoping.

So it is not only vibration, I can actually feel the uneven brakes through how the car slows down.

I will probably keep driving like until I can afford new rotors and pads again, and do proper bedding in. And hope that it won't come back again.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:07 AM   #20
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

I had similar symptoms with the uneven braking feel at low speeds too... but I would probably rule out calipers given all of the previous work you've had done.

I also go to an independent mechanic and has been a good experience for me... but seeing as this problem doesn't want to go away it might be time to go to a sponsor like RMP, Bimmersport etc. I know it would be driving me mad to be continually trying and have the same problem re-occur...

As an aside... very nice ride I've always liked a green bimmer, pretty hard to find.

Keep me posted on your progress... as you mentioned the problem re-occurred for you after a few months, so I don't consider myself out of the woods yet.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:30 AM   #21
sergiomordo
2nd Gear Member

Thanks Bforte, I actually love the color of my car. It is a love it or hate it thing. People give extremely opposite reactions to this color.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #22
Bforte
1st Gear Newbie

lol... I just always thought there was an understated classiness to it, much more interesting than dolphin grey or black.

So any update on the vibration issues? Mine have been remedied so far, knock wood.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #23
sergiomordo
2nd Gear Member

Well I checked all the wheels, there is no play whatsoever right now. But I am scared that this vibration will start to damage some bushings and vibration will increase due to that.

I still could not replace my pads and rotors, need to find a part time employment first

In terms of colors, I hate grey, silver and black cars, they are boring imo. A red 330ci M-package would be nice hahahah. White is also not bad on E46.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
BadBoyE39
1st Gear Newbie

I have the same problem, no shimmy at low to high speeds, only when I apply brakes do I get a scary shake, whether I press light or hard, had a few shops look at it, passenger side bearing was bad, replaced that, didnt help, they checked FCAB and they said it was ok, rotors are 2 months old, they all said its the rotors, I am getting a replacement set this weekend, hopefully that fixes it, if not I will get the FCAB kit and replace those next.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:29 PM   #25
BadBoyE39
1st Gear Newbie

Update, replaced rotors today, upgraded to better set, now, no vibration or shimmy. thank God...
Old 10-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #26
sergiomordo
2nd Gear Member

Time to update you guys on progress. As I was going crazy to solve this problem, I removed my brakes and played close attention to the rotors as they rotate, I realized that there is some wobbling going on, even though it is very minor. So I removed the old rotors that had uneven deposit or were bent I am not sure, and put the brand new ones in. Then I realized that the wobbling was still there under rotation by hand. So I concluded that it had to be my hubs. Now I have brand new FAG hubs and bearings with Ate pads and Zimmerman coated rotors. After two weeks of use, including a 6 hour round trip drive, there is absolutely no vibration whatsoever. So if this problem comes up, keep in mind that it might be your hubs also. Thanks everyone for all the help in diagnosing this problem.
Old 10-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #27
jabela
4th Gear Member

Glad to hear. Thanks for the update. Did you notice if you had any sounds that could have been coming from the wheel bearings? If so, did they go away?

www.modernapothecary.ca
Old 10-09-2013, 12:42 AM   #28
sergiomordo
2nd Gear Member

There was no sound from wheel bearings, and I did not see any play in them either. When you moved the wheel side to side or up down there was no play either.

The inner pad on the left front brake was almost gone, while all other pads were fine.

I think simply the hubs were deformed, causing the rotor to periodically touch that pad, which caused uneven deposits. I have no clue how I managed to damage my hubs. Maybe I bought the car like this, not sure..
Old 11-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #29
pats330i
1st Gear Newbie

Warped Rotors

I'm experiencing the same issue with my 330CI. I replaced the rotors with OEM ones and about 4 months later they were wrapped. I had them cleaned up at NAPA and they were fine for about another 6 months and again I have the same issue. Under light braking it's not bad, but under hard braking it pulsates.

My plan is to change the pads as OEM pads are typically very hard and the rotors wear out before the pad. I put ceramic pads on the rear when I did the last brake job. I think I'll try them in the front. They may be more expensive,but I won't get the copious amounts of brake dust on my rims.

Has anyone tired cross-drilled rotors?
pats330i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 03:35 AM   #30
jabela
4th Gear Member

Don't get crossed drilled. More money and it's only for show.
I'm sure your rotors are not warped, it's most likely pad deposits. Do you park your car outside? Do you drive it daily?

www.modernapothecary.ca

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: