Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > Forced Induction
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-17-2013, 01:27 PM   #31
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

I get it, the m42 is a failure of an engine. I should dump it in the middle of Lake Ontario. I will take bigD's advise and buy a V6 Windstar and make that stupid hiss sound passing people because of my restricted exhaust.
Slowered318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:33 PM   #32
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

I don't have anything against you wanting to turbo your M42...

I just find it comical of some of the points you're trying to make that's all. $$ for $$ the S52 is a better swap. If you do want to turbo your M42 it shouldn't be for fuel economy reasons. Ask anyone that drives a boosted car, it's very addictive.

In the end you should boost your M42 if that is what YOU want. But think long and hard of how/why you want to do it. Set a realistic power goal and your budget will then fall into place.

Consider all the hardware parts, along with things like clutch, fueling, management, and tuning costs as well. Keep in mind things can/will probably go wrong the first time around especially if you're going to try and save some money and go with used parts.

This isn't my first time around the block when it comes to boosted cars, so I'm trying to give as useful info as possible. For your power goals and keeping in mind a budget and reliability the S52 route will always be the better choice that is undeniable trust me.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #33
BigD
the misanthropist

I don't think a Windstar is modern. Grab the Sienna V6 - 266hp, probably get 35mpg in your car and Toyota reliability! You can also get a TRD supercharger, then you have the same setup as the Lotus Evora, with 345hp!
Old 07-17-2013, 03:16 PM   #34
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Not trying to be foolish or stubborn but I just don't want an S50/S52. I just asked for some info on good equipment, good vendors and maybe personal experiences with turbo's and BMW. I've taken what's said here into consideration and I appreciate the honestly, most people/places are happy to just take money/opportunity.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:43 PM   #35
BigD
the misanthropist

Not trying to talk you out of it, just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. I tried to do my homework but in retrospect, you very rarely get an honest opinion like from Notorious, most people will tell you that yeah you can do it for that money, it'll be no problem, yeah that's all there is to it. And either they don't care, don't know or are willfully forgetting the reality of their experience. So if given all that's been said here, you're still interested, then go for it and I'll be happy to help if I can.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:54 PM   #36
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Not trying to talk you out of it, just want to make sure you know what you're getting into. I tried to do my homework but in retrospect, you very rarely get an honest opinion like from Notorious, most people will tell you that yeah you can do it for that money, it'll be no problem, yeah that's all there is to it. And either they don't care, don't know or are willfully forgetting the reality of their experience. So if given all that's been said here, you're still interested, then go for it and I'll be happy to help if I can.
Cool, I may hit you up for some info this fall/winter. If I make the right connections and things fall into place I'll move forward with the project. I'm always very weary of doing custom work, sometimes it goes really well and other times it's a freaking expensive nightmare.
Old 07-17-2013, 04:34 PM   #37
BigD
the misanthropist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowered318 View Post
Cool, I may hit you up for some info this fall/winter. If I make the right connections and things fall into place I'll move forward with the project. I'm always very weary of doing custom work, sometimes it goes really well and other times it's a freaking expensive nightmare.
Right on, there are quite a few guys on here with personal DIY turbo experience (which I can't really claim unlike guys like e30kid and Notorious, a lot of people held my hand, although I'm sure early on it was the same for them), so if you go for it, you'll be in good hands.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:03 PM   #38
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
unlike D, i am trying to talk you out of it. figure out what you can spend, then get either s52, euro s50 or s54. i really dont think you'll be happy with the reliability of a turbo build, particularly for the first while when you're getting stuff dialed in.

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:12 AM   #39
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by propr'one View Post
unlike D, i am trying to talk you out of it. figure out what you can spend, then get either s52, euro s50 or s54. i really dont think you'll be happy with the reliability of a turbo build, particularly for the first while when you're getting stuff dialed in.
Hey buddy!

I agree with you, it's a somewhat stupid thing to do. If I were staring from scratch with bunk motor I would definitely look to swap, maybe even buy a crate motor from MM. coulda, shoulda, woulda...

I don't know, I hear about pretty much the same ol' problems/maintance with the 50 series engines. I don't think they as drastically different from the m42 as they are from the m10 and m20. I'm no stranger to reliability issues but my little 4 banger has never given up on me. I really don't want to give up on it, plus I know my way around this one pretty good now.

Last edited by Slowered318; 07-25-2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:41 PM   #40
SamE30e
6th Gear Member

Your little 4 cylinder hasn't given up because it's a stock iron block BMW engine with very little power.

Trust me, I looked into it. You might make 250whp.. You could probably make that on a ghetto RRFPR ebay setup on a M50 and not even break a sweat.
02 325i Sedan
SamE30e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:56 PM   #41
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamE30e View Post
Your little 4 cylinder hasn't given up because it's a stock iron block BMW engine with very little power.

Trust me, I looked into it. You might make 250whp.. You could probably make that on a ghetto RRFPR ebay setup on a M50 and not even break a sweat.
Interesting... So considering the M50 and M42 make the same power per litre, it's somehow a HUGE upgrade? Oh and what's wrong with running a "stock iron block"?
Old 07-29-2013, 06:04 PM   #42
NOTORIOUS VR
6th Gear Member

The M50 is a larger motor with 2 extra firing cycles, it will make more TQ so therefore more HP far easier.

Nothing wrong with Iron blocks, I don't think that's what he was getting at. He's just trying to say the M42 isn't stressed at all in stock form. I have no doubt that you can make 200-250whp on an M42 with a stock motor (I would personally lower CR with a Cometic gasket and put in ARP head studs at a minimum though).

Of course the M50 will make 300whp far, far easier. My M52 made 330whp @10 psi with 4 degree's of timing thrown at it. It later made 380whp with proper timing and one more psi of boost.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:30 PM   #43
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
Quote:
Hey buddy!

I agree with you, it's a somewhat stupid thing to do. If I were staring from scratch with bunk motor I would definitely look to swap, maybe even buy a crate motor from MM. coulda, shoulda, woulda...

I don't know, I hear about pretty much the same ol' problems/maintance with the 50 series engines. I don't think they as drastically different from the m42 as they are from the m10 and m20. I'm no stranger to reliability issues but my little 4 banger has never given up on me. I really don't want to give up on it, plus I know my way around this one pretty good now.
its not stupid, i just really dont think its what you'll want. a stock s54 in your e30 would be dead reliable. and to me, it seems like you dont want to change the nature or driveability of the car, just have it have more power. there's a lot of people in this thread giving you good advice, and its not because you've got a bad idea, its that its not worth it in the end. typically speaking i'd only recommend turbo applications to people who want to take very active role in developing the car. if you dont see yourself actually doing at least some tuning on your own, i really think you and your car would benefit from running a motor that already has the numbers your looking for.

this was a mechanic i met in calgary's car. i think you'd love something similar done in your engine bay

more pics:
http://www.projecttechnik.com/forum/...php?f=2&t=3695

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:02 PM   #44
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

^An S54 6spd swap is easily a $10k job.

Honestly the first thing the OP needs to nail down is what he'd realistically be willing to spend. Earlier he said...

Quote:
I would like to obtain the turbocharger, exhaust manifold, plumbing and intercooler for somewhere under $2000. That leaves some money for electronics, fuel delivery, head gasket and to possibly upgrade internals down the road (maybe VAC or MM has something I will need).
So based on that I'm thinking his budget might be around $3000-$3500?

Once you know what you're willing to spend, then you can start looking at what your options are.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #45
Slowered318
Stuck in the 90's

That about right. Just want some extra pulling power and I kinda like the sound of a spooling turbo. I don't want to push things to the point where I need a stronger transmission, larger tires, bigger brakes and maybe even a roll cage to strengthen the chassis. This is about the last "kick at the can" for my car so I don't want to start from scratch. As nice as that car posted above is and as much fun as I've had tooling on my car I don't believe the E30 is the ideal platform to build a street legal race car.

This forum gives me a real headache sometimes. Someone asks for info or advice on what they would like to do, in return they get tarred and feathered for their ideas. As obscure as some people's ideas may be, as car enthusiasts we we should have some respect for individual preference.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: