Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > maXimum Tech > 3 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 06-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
South
3rd Gear Member

e36 engine removal

SO far I just have to disconnect the rusty exhaust (pita) and 1 wire attached to tranny/gearbox.

my question is, should I remove the engine with the transmission attached or unattach the engine from the tranny and then take it out. I am only replacing the engine.

Also, where does one hook up the engine hoist to?
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
DET1990
2nd Gear Member

there is an eyelet on the front of the engine for the hook just over the vanos solenoid and i think there is one at the back
DET1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Steve30
Techno Viking

Personally I think its easier to just pull both together. One hook goes at the front in that hole and there's one on the drivers side where the engine and tranny mate.

E36 ///M3 S54
E30 325 Project
Steve30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Hurricane240
2nd Gear Member

Out the front, tranny attached.
Hurricane240 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #5
South
3rd Gear Member

the nuts holding the exhaust headers on to the exhuast are completely rusted and 2 are totally stripped....how the hell do I drop the exhaust to get to the tranny mounts to disconnect?
Old 07-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
dcramer
5th Gear Member

cut them
Old 07-10-2013, 11:22 PM   #7
South
3rd Gear Member

nuts are off...pb blaster is amazing with nut crackers.

heres the thing. I was looking underneath the car and noticed that I don't need to drop the exhaust to get behind the heat shield for the right side tranny mounts.

can I just unbolt the tran mounts and the guibo and pull the tran out? how do I disconnect the gear linkage? something about clips? I can't see, and barely feel it.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:08 AM   #8
dcramer
5th Gear Member

First drop the trans as far as you can. Take the fan off the engine so it doesn't go through the rad as the engine will tilt with the transmission.
Then it is a matter of feel. The tough one is the clip on top of the transmission. Either way you need to get this out. Even if you take the trans out with the engine.

Your problems are just beginning though. Getting the top two bolts of the transmission housing will be your biggest problem, and I think you still need to drop the exhaust to get the tranny out.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #9
South
3rd Gear Member

with exams going on and such haven't done much....but the exhaust is off, tran mount off....only thing left to remove is the god dam guibo and linkage.

I just spent the last 2 hours trying to get off the bolts holding the guibo onto the driveshaft and no luck. pb blaster and torch have failed epically, and i meant the guibo catching on fire. tried using car jack handle for more leverage and even that failed. nut breaker doesn't work here as the angle and space is terrible...i've read that some have actually had to saw through the guibo...and i think I am at that point. any recommended tools?

to anyone changing their guibo, put some grease on the bolts so this doesn't happen
Old 08-02-2013, 09:21 PM   #10
richie_s999
6th Gear Member

Greasing the driveline quibo bots would allow them to vibrate apart, they have to tight, get a breaker bar, or a metal tube for leverage, you shouldn't have to heat them.
richie_s999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:10 PM   #11
rider-.
3rd Gear Member

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FctR...e_gdata_player works every time
quick and easy
Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #12
South
3rd Gear Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider-. View Post

lmao
Old 08-07-2013, 05:27 PM   #13
South
3rd Gear Member

just an update

removed the guibo bolts with an impact wrench....took about 10 minutes each bolt....your hands will vibrate a lot and it will hurt your bones.

linkage removal was easy with the pelican guide

removed engine with no big deal...I hooked up the hoist to the eye socket points....I would strongly recommend not hooking it up to the rear eye socket, instead hook it up more to the left. This is because you don't want the engine twisting counter clockwise as it did with the eye sockets..it messed up my clearance path over the steering column by 1-2 inches. Not a big deal but still.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: