Click to go to Forum Home Click to go to maXbimmer Home

Go Back   maXbimmer Forums > Misc > Off-topic
User Name
Password

Welcome to Maxbimmer.com!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 AM   #1
Deetow
2nd Gear Member

Collision Reporting

Hi all.

I was just rear ended today in traffic today. I'm ok and the damage to the car isn't too bad. My bumper was pushed in about half an inch and the valence is warped. Its probably leas than $1000. The problem is the guy refused to give me his insurance info and swears he didn't hit me. He accuses me of playing some sort of game. Honestly the car may not be worth fixing if it can still be safetied as is but the guy was such a collosal asshole.

Basically question to all the max bimmer folk is what can I expect if i go to a collision reporting centre tommorow to report the damage. Do I need to file a claim? What are the insurance repercussions for me if I report?

Thanks.

Chris
Deetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 01:02 AM   #2
InspClave
Groove Machine

The driver that rear ended you is at fault. If yoy couldn't get his insurance info then ensure you put that in your accident report. As long as you have the other driver's license plate and other pertinent info, then you should be golden.

2000 540i Sport 6-Speed Black & Tan, 18" OEM M-Pars
2000 740i Sport Black All Around, 20" OEM Style 32s
1991 850i Platinum Gray / Oyster, 18" OEM M-Pars
1995 840Ci Hellrot / Black, 17" OEM Style 5s
2003 M3 Cabriolet Black/Cinnamon, 19" OEM
InspClave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
Robb
EX E30 M3 Owner

Don't report it if it's less than $1000. The guy who hit you should pay for it.
If he got away, then suck it up and pay out of your pocket. (Stay away from insurance too)
He'll get his karma 1 day !
It's the cost of driving in busy toronto.
Robb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 02:39 AM   #4
propr'one
op sucks cock

Send a message via MSN to propr'one
there's no reason to not report a not at fault accident.

you shouldn't've left the scene if he refused to give you his insurance info (next time call the cops).

if it was me i'd report it (right away)

Hot: 2001 Estoril M RoadsterZCP 19's michelin supersports, ZHP knob, JL 8W3
Cold: 2002 TiAg M3 6mt ZCP 19's michelin supersports, deoranged, dechromed, led tails, ZHP knob, UUC SS v3, GROM, OEM 18's w310's,
fun: 2006 YZF-R6, black
propr'one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:16 AM   #5
Bullet Ride
Cars in Perpetual Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetow View Post
The problem is the guy refused to give me his insurance info and swears he didn't hit me. He accuses me of playing some sort of game.
Chances are the guy doesn't even have insurance so if you were to call the cops he'd be ****ed.
Old 07-05-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

You MUST go to the collision reporting centre if the damage to BOTH vehicles combined is more than $1000. If the damage on both cars won't buff out, chances are it's worth more then $1000. The collision reporting centre should not automatically send a report to your insurance company, the company sends a request to the police for a copy of the report after you inform them of the claim.

If the other party is anything but cooperative, REPORT IT ASAP.
Going forward, If someone refuses to provide information on the spot get as much info off the car as possible (plate, vin, etc..) and call the cops IMMEDIATELY.

I've seen scenarios where both people agree the damage is minimal, no need to claim/report then, the person who did the rear-ending (and would generally be held "at fault") calls their insurance company with a beautifully written piece of fiction as to how the other person came to back into the front of their car. The other party has no idea the claim was filed for months or years later. If you don't report, especially with small damage claims, the only reported account of events is taken as fact.

OP, if you were re-ended and the other guy does have insurance then you damage could be repaired without cost to you; no deductible, no rate increase, as not-at-fault claims do not impact your rate. If the other car was not insured, your policy includes "uninsured vehicle coverage". You would have to pay a $300 deductible and your policy will cover damage up to $25000.

If you want to pick my brain about it, please give me a shout at my office and I'd be happy to go over everything in detail. 1-800-263-9870 ask for Jonathan (ext 151).

Your insurance policy is designed to protect you from things like this and you pay a LOT of $$ for it. You shouldn't have to pay out of pocket.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
T.Dot_E30
Classifieds Moderator

Does one loose their 'No Claims' discount for this type of claim?
Old 07-05-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
hockeyfan27
5th Gear Member

Not if it is 100% not your fault. Only at fault losses impact your driving record (some companies specify that less than 25% at fault will not be rated for, while others will rate for any loss that is more than 0% at fault)

Now, with home insurance; you make any claim, you lose your discount. Doesn't matter what happened or who did it.

1998 328ic - Sold
hockeyfan27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 07:21 PM   #9
Deetow
2nd Gear Member

Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I went to the reporting station today and reported the accident. Police estimated the damage at $500. He has yet to report the accident and its been more than 24 hrs so I guess he'll get a call from his insurance provider.

Not too sure what I'm going to do next. Whether I just leave it or claim it and go after him for the repair.
Deetow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #10
daytona
6th Gear Member

This is what a cell phone is for...take a video of the accident and the other driver and his plates and vin number.If he refuse to provide insurance papers call the cops and report a hit and run and go the the accident reporting center asap.My cop buddies says about %15 of cars they stop has no insurance,traffic cops has plate readers in their cars and can scan cars going the opposite direction at 120km at night or rain.Thats why you see so many cars with the plates number colours almost faded to white since some sand off the dark colours or tries to paint it white to fool the readers or the toll highways but the cops told me they can read the those numbers %99 of the time.The dude who refuse to provide the insurance can be charged for section 200 of the HTA which is a very very serious offence and cops with go after the accused.

Last edited by daytona; 07-09-2013 at 01:03 PM.
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 03:42 PM   #11
Dr. Flyview
Formerly Flav_cool

Send a message via MSN to Dr. Flyview
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deetow View Post
Hi everyone.

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I went to the reporting station today and reported the accident. Police estimated the damage at $500. He has yet to report the accident and its been more than 24 hrs so I guess he'll get a call from his insurance provider.

Not too sure what I'm going to do next. Whether I just leave it or claim it and go after him for the repair.
There is no reason not to claim it with your insurance. You will get a repair/repaint of that section at your body shop of choice (if you insist on it). I was rear ended like that years ago too and all that happened was the valence was a little pushed in (bumper just had scratches) but there's a lot of damage you can't see. The estimates for repair ranged from $1000-$4000 depending on the body shop.

1998 BMW 328is - summer
1994 BMW 325i - daily
1992 BMW 325i - totaled
1988 Mercedes Benz 190E 2.3-8V -
sold

Dr. Flyview is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: